Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW SAUBER F1 TEAM - BELGIAN GP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM - BELGIAN GP
    Posted: 30-August-2008 at 23:42
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM - BELGIAN GP - PREVIEW
29/08/2008

5th – 7th September 2008
13th of 18 World Championship races

Munich/Hinwil, 29th August 2008. Formula One trades stifling urban heat for fresh mountain air: after the Valencia street circuit on which the BMW Sauber F1 Team took its eighth podium place of the season, the Belgian Grand Prix beckons in the Ardennes. Covering over seven kilometres, Spa-Francorchamps is the longest race track in the calendar and also features the most extensive full-throttle section by far.

Nick Heidfeld:
“Spa is a fantastic race track with unique corners and a very special character. Although these days with the V8 engines it is no problem taking the Eau Rouge combination in the hollow at full throttle, it remains a standout feature. Compression is absolutely no problem physically, but it’s nevertheless a very special sensation. For the spectators too, I can well recommend this section. It’s very impressive the way the cars come roaring along downhill and then accelerate uphill again. In the current race calendar, Spa is the nearest GP circuit to my home town of Mönchengladbach, and that’s another reason for me to look forward to the Belgian Grand Prix, where I’ll be aiming to achieve a good result.”

Robert Kubica:
“From my point of view the race in Spa is one of the best Grands Prix in the calendar. It is a very unique track with high-speed corners you can approach with different racing lines. The most famous corners in Spa-Francorchamps are definitely Eau Rouge and the Bus Stop chicane, which was modified before last year’s race. The circuit is very long and very tricky. You have to find the right balance and the right configuration of the car in order not to lose any lap time. Another crucial factor is the weather in Belgium. It can rain in one sector and it can be dry in another sector. I am really looking forward to the race”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
“Spa-Francorchamps is one of the specialities in the Formula One calendar. We look forward to the only course in the calendar that can still be described as a natural circuit since it follows the features of the landscape. In the Ardennes, steep inclines are as much a feature as the unpredictable weather.

“Spa may not be the track with the highest speeds – that accolade belongs to Monza – but in Spa we have the longest stretch taken at full throttle. Since the modification of the famous Eau Rouge corner and the introduction of V8 engines, drivers can go flat-out through the section from the hairpin shortly after the start, through the hollow and then uphill again. In last year’s race we calculated that our drivers held the pedal to the floor for more than 1,865 metres, or 24 seconds. Engine power and stability are key requirements here.

“Nick’s F1.08 is scheduled to take on a new BMW P86/8 engine with a new transmission, while Robert will be driving with the same engine and gear box as in Valencia. In the first two thirds of the season we didn’t have a single retirement caused by any technical fault. We aim to maintain this high level of reliability. On the sporting side, we plan to improve further and see both cars finish solidly in the points at Spa.”

Willy Rampf, Technical Director:
“Spa is one of the last natural circuits remaining in the calendar and therefore ranks among the classics. Most drivers love it, and for good reason. Eau Rouge is one of the most spectacular corners in Formula One, even though the V8 engines now allow it to be taken flat-out in dry conditions. Spa demands medium downforce, comparable to Montreal. High aerodynamic efficiency is very important as you need a lot of downforce in the fast corners of the middle sector while at the same time requiring plenty of top speed for overtaking at the end of the long straights.

“A crucial factor will be how to exploit the tyre potential. In Spa we use the two hardest compounds, which is a challenge particularly if air temperatures are low. The weather in Spa is always a big unknown as it can turn from one moment to the next, sometimes even within individual sections of the track.”

History and background:
The idea of staging a race in the health resort of Spa goes back to 1920. The circuit linked up the towns of Malmedy, Stavelot and Francorchamps. In 1921 the first car race had to be cancelled as there was just one entrant. The circuit was inaugurated by motorcycles before cars made their first appearance in 1922. 1924 saw the first 24-hour race at Spa, and the first significant Formula race followed in 1925 when the European GP was hosted by the circuit.

1970 marked the final race on what was then a 14-kilometre course as the cars had become too fast for the track. The present circuit was opened in 1979. In 2003, Formula One did not come to Spa. For the 2004 event the Bus Stop chicane was modified and, after the 2005 GP, F1 again gave Spa a miss. For 2007 a new pit lane awaited and the Bus Stop section, including the pit lane approach, was modified once more.

The biggest pile-up in F1 history occurred in 1998 in the La Source hairpin just after the start, though none of the drivers was injured. To date, 40 Belgian Grands Prix have been held in Spa. A further ten took place in Zolder and two in Nivelles.

Schedule for group interviews at the weekend:
Thursday:
13.30-13.40 – Robert Kubica – TV
13.40-14.00 – Robert Kubica – print media
14.00-14.10 – Christian Klien – TV
14.10-14.30 – Christian Klien – print media
14.00-14.20 – Marko Asmer – print media
14.20-14.30 – Marko Asmer – TV
15.00 – Nick Heidfeld – FIA press conference
15.30-15.35 – Mario Theissen – TV
15.35-16.00 – Mario Theissen – print media
18.00-18.30 – Willy Rampf – by prior arrangement only

Friday:
16.45-16.55 – Nick Heidfeld – TV
16.45-16.55 – Robert Kubica – TV

Saturday:
16.45-16.55 – Nick Heidfeld – TV
16.55-17.15 – Nick Heidfeld – print media
16.45-17.05 – Robert Kubica – print media
17.05-17.15 – Robert Kubica –TV
18.00-18.05 – Mario Theissen – TV
18.05-18.30 – Mario Theissen – print media

Sunday:
Approx. 30 minutes after the end of the race Heidfeld, Kubica, Theissen and Rampf will be on hand in the team’s Hospitality area.

Involvement in the FIA press conference means the group interviews will be cancelled on the relevant day.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 21:35

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Belgian Grand Prix - Free Practice

05-09-2008 Press Release
Weather: cloudy, some rain in the afternoon, 15-17°C Air, 15-17°C Track

Spa-Francorchamps (BE). The Friday practice sessions for the Belgian Grand Prix were in typical Ardennes weather conditions. For the afternoon session the dark grey sky produced the first rain. Inconsistent track conditions made comparisons and proper analysis for the set-up work difficult.

Robert Kubica:
BMW Sauber F1.08-05 / BMW P86/8
1st Practice: 11th, 1:49.139 min / 2nd Practice: 11th, 1:49.875 min
“The conditions today were variable, especially in the afternoon session. Therefore today it was not only the testing that was difficult, but also evaluating the results of our programme. At the end of the day the conditions were the same for everybody. We shall now analyse the data and prepare for Saturday. When I was doing a practice start at the end of the session the engine stalled.”

Nick Heidfeld:
BMW Sauber F1.08-07 / BMW P86/8
1st Practice: 12th, 1:49.185 min / 2nd Practice: 10th, 1:49.725 min
“Generally speaking my first day of practice here was okay. The track’s level of grip was, as expected, low and this meant it wasn’t too easy to drive the car. We have made some small changes during the course of the day, but, due to the inconsistent weather conditions, it was extremely difficult to make judgements. Because of the weather we couldn’t do our usual tyre comparisons either, as we could not run the harder and softer compounds under the same conditions. This makes the analyses tricky but that’s the same for everybody.”

Willy Rampf (Technical Director):
“Because of the changing track conditions, it's very difficult to draw the right conclusions from the set-up changes we made during the two sessions today. We were not able to complete our programme as planned, and this was specially the case for the tyre comparisons. The set-up decisions for tomorrow will now be based on data analysis and simulation. According to the latest weather forecast it should be dry tomorrow morning, which would give us the chance to complete our work in the third free practice.”
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 21:42

F1: A lap of Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium 2008

1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 21:51
BMW says set-up is difficult to call

BMW duo Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld agreed that it was difficult to come to any firm conclusions following the first day at Spa following a disrupted second practice session.

Both drivers finished on the fringes of the top 10 at the end of both the morning and afternoon running – with Kubica appearing far from happy with his F1.08 early on after telling his engineers over the radio that the car “is nowhere”.

And following a second session that was disrupted by both rain and a red flag, the Pole says it will be difficult to assess the findings of the team’s practice work.

“The conditions today were variable, especially in the afternoon session,” he said after finishing both practices 11th fastest.

“Therefore today it was not only the testing that was difficult, but also evaluating the results of our programme.

“At the end of the day the conditions were the same for everybody.

“We shall now analyse the data and prepare for Saturday.

“When I was doing a practice start at the end of the session the engine stalled.”

Team-mate Nick Heidfeld came to a similar conclusion about the merits of the opening day, but the under-pressure German was nevertheless reasonably satisfied after ending session two in 10th place.

“Generally speaking my first day of practice here was okay,” he said.

“The track’s level of grip was, as expected, low and this meant it wasn’t too easy to drive the car.

“We have made some small changes during the course of the day, but, due to the inconsistent weather conditions, it was extremely difficult to make judgements.

“Because of the weather we couldn’t do our usual tyre comparisons either, as we could not run the harder and softer compounds under the same conditions.

“This makes the analyses tricky but that’s the same for everybody.”

While admitting the weather ensured the team ended the day behind with its planned programme, technical director Willy Rampf expects Saturday morning’s conditions to allow it to catch up.

“We were not able to complete our programme as planned, and this was specially the case for the tyre comparisons.

“The set-up decisions for tomorrow will now be based on data analysis and simulation.

“According to the latest weather forecast it should be dry tomorrow morning, which would give us the chance to complete our work in the third free practice.”

Source: ITV-F1.com]

1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 17:50

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Belgian Grand Prix - Free Practice

05-09-2008 Press Release
Weather: cloudy, some rain in the afternoon, 15-17°C Air, 15-17°C Track

Spa-Francorchamps (BE). The Friday practice sessions for the Belgian Grand Prix were in typical Ardennes weather conditions. For the afternoon session the dark grey sky produced the first rain. Inconsistent track conditions made comparisons and proper analysis for the set-up work difficult.

Robert Kubica:
1st Practice: 11th, 1:49.139 min / 2nd Practice: 11th, 1:49.875 min
“The conditions today were variable, especially in the afternoon session. Therefore today it was not only the testing that was difficult, but also evaluating the results of our programme. At the end of the day the conditions were the same for everybody. We shall now analyse the data and prepare for Saturday. When I was doing a practice start at the end of the session the engine stalled.”

Nick Heidfeld:
1st Practice: 12th, 1:49.185 min / 2nd Practice: 10th, 1:49.725 min
“Generally speaking my first day of practice here was okay. The track’s level of grip was, as expected, low and this meant it wasn’t too easy to drive the car. We have made some small changes during the course of the day, but, due to the inconsistent weather conditions, it was extremely difficult to make judgements. Because of the weather we couldn’t do our usual tyre comparisons either, as we could not run the harder and softer compounds under the same conditions. This makes the analyses tricky but that’s the same for everybody.”

“Because of the changing track conditions, it's very difficult to draw the right conclusions from the set-up changes we made during the two sessions today. We were not able to complete our programme as planned, and this was specially the case for the tyre comparisons. The set-up decisions for tomorrow will now be based on data analysis and simulation. According to the latest weather forecast it should be dry tomorrow morning, which would give us the chance to complete our work in the third free practice.”
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 17:51

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Belgian Grand Prix - Qualifying

06-09-2008 Press Release
Weather: overcast but dry, 15-17°C Air, 16-18°C Track

Spa-Francorchamps (BE). Nick Heidfeld qualified fifth for the Belgian Grand Prix while his team-mate in the BMW Sauber F1 Team, Robert Kubica, was eighth fastest at Spa-Francorchamps. The entire session was in dry conditions.

Nick Heidfeld:
Qualifying 5th, 1:48.315 min (3rd Practice: 1st, 1:47.876 min)
“I’m happy with the qualifying result, and for me the weekend has gone well so far. It wasn’t bad on Friday, this morning I was quickest and fifth was the best possible result in qualifying. For me it is very important to know the work we have done has paid off. A couple of weeks ago we found solutions to some problems, and for me this meant an improvement, but then came the race in Valencia which was surprisingly bad. Then at last week’s Monza test we were able to learn something more. I have the feeling we are a little closer to McLaren and Ferrari here. However, I think in the race it will be very difficult for us to keep up with their pace. Tomorrow the weather conditions will be an important factor and a good start for me will be crucial. I will start from the clean side of the track.”

Robert Kubica:
Qualifying 8th, 1:48.763 min (3rd Practice: 13th, 1:49.250 min)
“Qualifying was difficult for me although the conditions were the best so far over the course of the weekend. The track was completely dry, but I have had problems with the balance of the car all weekend and I am lacking overall grip. This makes driving quite difficult, especially here in Spa where you have a lot of long corners.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
“I'm satisfied with today’s performance. We obviously didn't have the right basic set-up yesterday, and, with the changing weather conditions, it was not easy to get it right. However, we saw this morning we were able to make a significant step forward. Nick confirmed this in qualifying with both low and high fuel loads. He is now in a strong position for the race. For Robert things were just not right this weekend, and in qualifying he wasn’t able to put in a perfect lap.”

“Although we struggled yesterday to find the right set-up, today we managed to get both cars safely into Q3. Nick in particular has made a big step forward since yesterday and he was very strong in qualifying. Robert struggled with the car’s set-up in all the practice sessions, and sector 2 was particularly difficult for him. I think we are well prepared for the race. Now we have to see what the other teams’ strategies are.”
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2008 at 21:18

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Belgian Grand Prix - Race

07-09-2008 Press Release
Weather: Overcast, rain at the end of the race. Air: 15°C, Track: 17°C

Spa-Francorchamps (BE). Due to a perfect decision in the final stages of the Belgian GP, Nick Heidfeld claimed the ninth podium of the season for the BMW Sauber F1 Team. After 42 of the 44 laps Nick changed to wet weather tyres, and moved up from seventh to third. It was his fourth podium of the season. His team-mate, Robert Kubica, had been ahead of him until he was delayed refuelling at his second pit stop. The pole had started from eighth and finished the action packed grand prix sixth. The BMW Sauber F1 Team has now scored 105 championship points. With five races to go in 2008, the team has so far four more points than in the entire 2007 season.

Nick Heidfeld: 3rd *
Fastest Lap: 1:49.067 min on lap 36 (7th fastest overall)
“I had a fantastic race weekend and I am very happy today. At the start I got off better than the guys in front of me. Then I decided to go for the outside line, but unfortunately Heikki Kovalainen crashed into my car. This can happen, and I was lucky my car wasn’t damaged. Of course I lost a lot of places. Later on in the race I was able to get some back, but then I got stuck in traffic. When the drizzle set in I was convinced it would be heavier on the next lap and decided to change to wet weather tyres. The team asked me if I meant what I said. When I left the pit lane after the stop I asked on the radio how many laps to go, and my engineer said this one and another one. As I couldn’t see any cars on the track I thought, oh this was probably the wrong decision, but then it paid off. It was a Hero or Zero decision.”

Robert Kubica: 6th
Fastest Lap: 1:48.965 min on lap 36 (5th fastest overall)
“I am not happy with the result, as today I had the chance to finish on the podium. We had a problem during the second pit stop. I lost two or three positions and returned to the track behind Nick. When it started raining he went into the pits to change tyres. I could not do the same as it would have cost too much time because I was directly behind Nick, so it would have meant us coming into the pits together. Also I had no information about the weather as I had problems with my radio. We gave away points today. However, that’s racing.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
“It was a turbulent race – both immediately after the start and during the final laps. Nick was involved in a collision in turn 1 after the turmoil at the start and, like Robert, lost some positions. As a result, both cars dropped out of the points’ positions. After that the pit crew had problems connecting the nozzle during Robert’s second pit stop. Finally we recovered from these problems. Nick, his race engineer and our strategists took the right decision two laps before the end of the race by changing to wet weather tyres. The team’s ninth podium and Robert’s sixth place scored us nine points. With five races to go the team has 105 points, four more than in the entire 2007 season.”

“This was the most amazing race I have ever experienced. Up until two laps from the end everything was quite normal, but then things changed dramatically when it started raining. Nick radioed to the pits that he wanted to change tyres. He was the first driver to take this decision. The pit crew reacted quickly, and from then on he was the fastest man on the track and made up many places. He finally finished third. For Robert things, unfortunately, went wrong during the second pit stop when we had a problem when refuelling, which cost him several positions. However, overall it was a very good result for our team. We scored another podium finish and a total of nine points today.”

* Nick Heidfeld was moved to 2nd after Hamilton was awarded a 25 second penalty

Edited by kbannon
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic