Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Article: BMW cutting V8 production in favour of four-cylinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: BMW cutting V8 production in favour of four-cylinders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: BMW cutting V8 production in favour of four-cylinders
    Posted: 02-September-2008 at 22:22
Quote BMW cutting V8 production in favor of four-cylinders
Posted on Monday 1 September 2008

BMW has been forced to cut production of its large displacement engines in the wake of sluggish world demand. Despite the luxury segment usually remaining fairly resilient to environmental concerns and rising fuel costs, BMW hasn’t produced its V8 engines at full capacity for the past year and demand is expected to fall further.

The same story can be told for its high-performance V10 and V12 engines, according to the carmaker’s union boss Manfred Schoch. Speaking with Automotive News, Schoch explained that current world demand for BMW’s V8 engines could be produced with a one-shift operation running just four days a week.

On the other hand, the carmaker is struggling to meet demand for its four-cylinder engines and is even considering phasing out production of its six-cylinder engines at its main Munich plant as well. This would allow BMW to build up to 500,000 four-cylinder engines a year, Schoch explained.

Shoch also called for the company to develop an all-electric vehicle, an option that BMW is currently exploring under its ‘Project i’ umbrella. The first Project i model is expected to be a small city car designed for just two people, which you can see a preview of by clicking here.

[Source: Motorauthority.com]
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2008 at 22:37
...and another article on this...
Quote Despite its ownership of highly-popular Mini and its research into electric cars and hydrogen power, as a performance automaker BMW builds more than a few vehicles that aren't exactly CAFE-friendly. And while it recently introduced three new V-8 powered models in the M3, 7 Series, and X6 SAV, with high gas prices killing demand for big engines now even the Ultimate Driving Machine-creator is being forced to adjust production accordingly.

Worldwide demand for large-displacement engines is falling rapidly, and BMW is starting to shift focus toward powerplants that are more desirable in this era of expensive gas. The chairman of BMW's works council Manfred Schoch goes so far as to say "we are producing the wrong engines here," and that the entire global demand for V-8 engines can be met through running just one shift per day, four days a week. In addition the interest in 10 and 12-cylinder engines found in BMW's high-performance (and high-price) vehicles also continues to wane.

To compensate, BMW is working to retool plants to build more four-cylinder engines as quickly as it can. With rumors that even the mighty M division could one day rely on turbocharging and smaller-displacement power, the automaker plans to phase out six-cylinder production at its Munich factory and begin building 320,000 four-cylinder mills a year starting in 2011. After this a planned second phase will add capacity for an additional 240,000 engines, and Schoch claims the automaker is also developing an all-electric vehicle based on the 1 Series called the City Electric Sprinter, which may debut in 2010. While reports have already surfaced that BMW will sell EV Minis in California, this new vehicle may be related to the company's "Project i" program, which is researching a global zero emissions vehicle specifically for use in urban areas.

Despite the new focus on fuel-efficiency, no doubt there will still be demand for BMW's performance engines, though most likely in smaller numbers than before. And even with upcoming CAFE regulations and sinking demand, hopefully the automaker will continue to supply a healthy selection of screaming, high-horsepower V-8, V-10, and V-12s that enthusiasts around the world can drool over.

[Source: motortrend.com]
1997 E39 523i
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2008 at 23:15

How can you get rid of a V engine? pure disregard for the true petrolhead, how dare they!

I'm keeping my V8 for some time to come so enviro-MENTALists can stick that in their smog pipe and smoke carbon emissions until they turn green! KMA!!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 09:14
What will the yanks do without their V8s?
1997 E39 523i
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 22:16
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

What will the yanks do without their V8s?

I'm sure Ford and Chevriolet will still make them for the time being anyway. It would seem slowly but surely as prices rise and supplies dry out, we will all be forced into battery-mobiles or such like. Hydrogen power is the way to go I think. I have seen a couple of 7 series driving around Bracknell with big stickers on the doors saying something about being a hydrogen test car.
Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic