Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Article: BMW rumored to be working on "baby X6" called the X2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: BMW rumored to be working on "baby X6" called the X2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: BMW rumored to be working on "baby X6" called the X2
    Posted: 05-September-2008 at 21:59

BMW rumored to be working on "baby X6" called the X2

BMW might have sent the X7 to the gallows due to high gas prices, but that's not stopping the German automaker from seeking to capitalize on the popularity of the X6 with a smaller variant. According to CAR magazine, BMW has a small "sports activity coupe" in the works based on the upcoming X1, which itself is based on the 1 Series.

But wait, there's more! It's believed that the X2 will be a two-door 'ute instead of a four-door. It's been years since a two-door SUV of any size has been sighted in a dealer showroom rather than the used-car lot, though the two-door layout will give the sports-activity coupe moniker more legitimacy. At least that's if BMW had planned on using that term for it. According to CAR, the proposed marketing speak slogan for the X2 will be "sports activity runabout." That sound you just heard were thousands of groans in unison. On the plus side, a possible "coupe" variant of the X3 that was to be called the X4 got the axe along with the X7, per the British magazine.

Should the X2 get the green light, which is expected to be decided next year, it would arrive sometime in 2011, possibly as a 2012 model. Like the X1, it will be equipped with BMW's xDrive AWD system and will share powertrains with the 1 Series. It's expected to cost a few thousand more than a comparably equipped X1, which will run slightly higher than a 1 Series. Expect the starting point to be in the mid-$30,000s.

[Source: motortrend.com]
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 22:01

Rendered Speculation: BMW X2 is X1's sporty sibling

Quote We're less than a month away from the official unveiling of the BMW X1 concept in Paris, but the boys from Bavaria are already planning a sportier, two-door version of their new compact 'ute. Dubbed the X2, this coupe-ish soft-roader will be to the X1 what the X6 is to the X5.

The 1-series-based X1 is currently carrying the codename "Sports Activity Wagon" (SAW), whereas the X2 is known internally as a "Sports Activity Runabout" (SAR). In keeping with BMW's new nomenclature and styling, the X2 will sport different bodywork, up-market materials, more standard equipment and a wider track to differentiate the two-door CUV from its four-door counterpart. Powertrains fitted with BMW's Efficient Dynamics system will be part of the package, beginning with 1.6-liter four-cylinder engines, eventually evolving into mild- and plug-in hybrid drivetrains.

While the X1 has already been green-lit for production, the X2 is still in limbo. But if it does come to market, expect the X2 to bow sometime in 2011 after the X1 launches in 2010.

[Source: autoblog.com]

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic