Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrake Calipers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddy_d2k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Calipers
    Posted: 10-September-2008 at 23:06

As I posted previously I am trying to bring my E36 318iS back to former glory.....Well I have put new discs and pads all round and found that the rear brakes are not very well balanced.

The rear passenger side, the piston is out all the time, eating away at the pads continuously and the rear driver side piston is probably operating at about 60%, that is, it is not putting a whole lot of pressure on the disc.

So I am wondering do I need to replace the calipers or pistons on the rear, or can i get the brake bias adjusted?

Thanks folks!

Paddy. 

E36 318iS Coupe
E36 318i Convertible (Gone but not forgotten)
E46 325 Ci M Sport
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2008 at 09:27

A pair of recon calipers or a pair of rebuilt kits is what you need. 

You could try 'freeing' the piston off, but may not be successful.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2008 at 16:39
Have you tried excercising the pistons? Leave the worn pads in and repeatedly pump them out with the pedal and lever back with a large scredriver.

Have you also bleed the fluid system properly? It may be the case that one caliper is doing all the work, causing it to wear more quickly on that side.

If that doesn't work, then new/recon calipers may be the way to go. You can't adjust the brake bias.
paddy_d2k2 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddy_d2k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2008 at 20:29

Thanks for the replies, I tried freeing the piston and pumping the brakes and ended up braking a decent screwdriver in the process by trying to push the piston back into the caliper, so me thinks the piston is siezing a bit on the rear passenger side, it certainly seems to be doing all the work, on the back anyway.

If it is a case of replacing the calipers, where do I get some recon ones? Need to try stay away from main dealers for budget reasons!

Cheers Guys

Paddy

E36 318iS Coupe
E36 318i Convertible (Gone but not forgotten)
E46 325 Ci M Sport
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2008 at 11:00

Euro car parts , GSF, any decent motor factors.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic