Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula 1 chit-chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2008 at 19:03
I saw this on the 'Day in Pictures' on the BBC site:

Britain's Jenson Button takes a practice run on the Shanghai circuit ahead of the Chinese Formula One Grand Prix.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2008 at 11:14

Brazil to pose championship dilemma for McLaren

McLaren could find themselves facing some tough calls at next weekends Brazilian Grand Prix, as they look to balance the respective needs of their drivers and constructors title campaigns.

Lewis Hamilton requires only a fifth place to be sure of securing his first drivers title at Interlagos. However, to stand any chance of overhauling Ferraris 11-point advantage in the team standings, McLaren would almost certainly need a one-two finish.

Clearly, we can afford to be more conservative than normal in our approach to Lewiss race, but we are still pushing to win the constructors championship and it would be wrong of us as a team to overlook this fact, said McLarens Formula One CEO, Martin Whitmarsh.

And with another 18 points up for grabs, Whitmarsh is not only confident of taking McLarens impressive China pace forward to Brazil, the team could even add further new developments to the MP4-23.

We do have a number of minor aerodynamic upgrades in the pipeline that we are evaluating for inclusion on our Brazil-spec car, he said. As with every race this season, we have brought something to the car - even if it has only been generating a few extra hundredths of lap time - and it would be wrong of us to close down that option for Interlagos.

With no joker engine changes allowed at the final round, McLaren will also have to keep a keen eye on Hamiltons Mercedes V8, which will start its second race in Brazil. However, having turned the engine down in the latter stages of his Shanghai win, the team are not expecting problems. Kovalainen, who failed to finish in China, will have a fresh engine for the season finale.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8581.html

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2008 at 15:57
1997 E39 523i
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 09:19

Ferreari 'quit' threat........

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44417

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 09:41
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Ferrari 'quit' threat........

more here -

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8595.html

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 10:41
The F1 car of the future?

With cost-cutting high on the agenda, it has fallen to the Chinese to come up with what they think is the ideal solution to save F1 from itself a car that costs only $400 to build and is made up of recycled materials.

Cheap and green at least it ticks most of the boxes required these days.

Brothers Zhao Xiushun and Zhao Xiuguo from Tangshan, near Beijing, have shown that it is possible to knock together your own F1 car using scrap metal and old dishwasher parts (hang on didnt Andrea Moda do that in the early 1990s?) and the resulting ZX01 is now nearly ready for winter testing.

All the intrepid duo need to make the 2009 grid is the small matter of an engine and a bit of technical help, so they are hoping that should the mooted McLaren-Force India tie in not happen, they could be in pole position to step in.

source - http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Gravel_Trap&id=4 4420&PO=44420

But don't care.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 11:59
Hope Mad Max hasn't seen that.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 12:03

Hope Mad Max hasn't seen that.

or he'll propose it as the "2010 cost-cutting project"

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2008 at 16:04

David Coulthards Red Bull will be emblazoned with a special charitable livery for his final Grand Prix. Coulthard will promote the research foundation, Wings For Life, which hopes to find a cure for spinal cord injuries, over the course of this weekends Interlagos event.

I'm dedicating my last race to the vision of making paraplegia curable, said the Scot on Red Bull's official website. In Formula One success is determined by a few seconds, in medicine people think in terms of years. But in both disciplines, ambition and commitment are crucial factors that are needed in order to reach the finishing line as soon as possible. Wings for Life helps to accelerate the breakthrough in spinal cord research.

The 37 year-old plans to officially unveil his RB4s livery on Thursday afternoon, with the help of some of his fellow drivers.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8608.html

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2008 at 17:12

Felipe Massa sent the partisan Brazilian crowd into delirium at Interlagos on Saturday as he claimed pole position for the third consecutive year at his home circuit and kept his title hopes alive.

To compound Massas joy, championship leader Lewis Hamilton managed only fourth on the grid as Toyotas Jarno Trulli took a shock second place and Kimi Raikkonen grabbed third in the second Ferrari.

Massas smooth and composed final lap outpaced Hamilton by nearly half a second suggesting that Ferrari may well have given him a light fuel load to guarantee pole.

In any event, fourth place in the midst of the pack will not be where Hamilton wanted to start, even though it means he is still on target for his first world title.

< =text/>MpuADCall('SPORT.FORMULA1.NEWS'); < src="http://sam.itv.com/j/acc_random=1576703515/SITE=ITV/AREA=SPORT.ULA1.NEWS/=1/AAMSZ=300x250/RS=K0771910018.K0771910034.K0771910039.K0771910045.K0771910046.K0771910063.K0771910065.K0771910066.K0771910067.K0771910076.K0771910077.K0771910082.K0771910083.K0771910084.K0771910101.K0771910106.K0771910109./SEG=SPORT.ULA1/pageid=2700391750">

The Briton needs only a fifth-place finish to secure the crown on Sunday.

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 19:17
Brazilian Grand Prix result (71 laps)

1.  MASSA         Ferrari

2.  ALONSO        Renault       +13.2s

3.  RAIKKONEN     Ferrari       +16.2s

4.  VETTEL        Toro Rosso    +38.0s

5.  HAMILTON      McLaren       +38.9s

6.  GLOCK         Toyota        +44.3s

7.  KOVALAINEN    McLaren       +55.0s

8.  TRULLI        Toyota        +68.4s

9.  WEBBER        Red Bull      +79.6s

10. HEIDFELD      BMW           +1 lap

11. KUBICA        BMW           + 1 lap

12. ROSBERG       Williams      + 1 lap

13. BUTTON        Honda         + 1 lap

14. BOURDAIS      Toro Rosso    +1 lap

15. BARRICHELLO   Honda         +1 lap

16. SUTIL         Force India   +2 laps

17. NAKAJIMA      Williams      +2 laps

18. FISICHELLA    Force India   +2 laps

R.  PIQUET        Renault       +71 laps

R.  COULTHARD     Red Bull      +71 laps

glock suddenly 18secs slower on the last lap so gifting ham the championship - hmmm - after a McLaren drive??

Edited by thepits

But don't care.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 21:45
It did look very suspicious alright! Brilliant, dramatic ending, with the Ferrari crew all celebrating before they realised!
1997 E39 523i
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 21:58
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

It did look very suspicious alright! Brilliant, dramatic ending, with the Ferrari crew all celebrating before they realised!

You mean like this...

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 09:16

A little suspicious..........it stinks, just heard a Glock interview on Radio 1 news, no explanation as to his drop off in pace, except to say he did as good as he could and he didn't help Lewis out..... what   bo$%ocks, especially when LH was off the leaders pace the whole race and Massa was not running a light fuel load as McMerc though he was.

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 14:01

A little suspicious..........it stinks, just heard a Glock interview on Radio 1 news, no explanation as to his drop off in pace, except to say he did as good as he could and he didn't help Lewis out..... what   bo$%ocks, especially when LH was off the leaders pace the whole race and Massa was not running a light fuel load as McMerc though he was.

Unlike a certain instance where Michael Schumacher's team-mate did the same a while back eh?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 14:07
I thought that his tyres were making him lose pace and allowed Hamilton to overtake?
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 14:54
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Unlike a certain instance where Michael Schumacher's team-mate did the same a while back eh?

I must have missed the bit were Glock switched to Mclaren.... or is that for next season?

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2008 at 21:31

The Fine Print: Hamilton will get his McLaren F1 LM after 3 titles

Now that Lewis Hamilton has secured the Formula One championship, supercar fans around the world are asking when he'll get his hands on that rare McLaren F1 LM. The incredibly valuable supercar – initially reported at $4 million but now apparently worth closer to 8 – was promised to the budding young driver if he won the title. However, the condition was that he win both the drivers title and, together with team-mate Heikki Kovalainen, lock up the constructors' title for the team, as well. Although he won the drivers' championship, the constructors' crown went to arch-rivals Ferrari, but since McLaren chief Ron Dennis is such a good sport, he's renegotiated the terms.

If Hamilton manages to repeat his title victory with a hat-trick – that is, take another two championships – he'll get his hands on the bright orange supercar. That's quite a challenge, but Dennis called it a "small price to pay for three world championships." Indeed, but by then McLaren will have a whole slew of supercars on the market for Lewis to choose from. In the meantime, he'd better keep his head down and focus on the prize.

I like the fact the despite driving for Mclaren Mercedes, he still wants BMW Power!

Edited by kbannon
1997 E39 523i
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2008 at 09:47
Not a bad target related bonus is it?????? And it's going up in value all the time.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2008 at 11:11

Surely he could just buy any car he wants?

It's not like he going to be hard up is it

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic