Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula 1 chit-chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula 1 chit-chat
    Posted: 12-September-2008 at 14:43

As the Bavarian Board Fantasy F1 League topic http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=40305 was getting a bit confusing, I'd thought i'd start this one

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2008 at 14:45

McLaren’s appeal against Lewis Hamilton’s Belgian Grand Prix penalty will be heard on 22nd September, Formula 1’s governing body has announced.

The FIA’s International Court of Appeal will convene in Paris on the Monday before the inaugural Singapore GP, with a verdict not expected until the following day.

Hamilton’s Spa victory was rescinded after race stewards deemed that he gained an advantage by cutting a chicane during his battle for the lead with Kimi Raikkonen.

The Briton was demoted to third place, handing the win to Raikkonen and reducing his world championship lead over Felipe Massa to two points.

There is a possibility that the appeal will be thrown out on a technicality, without the substantive issue being considered, since the retrospective time penalty imposed on Hamilton was in lieu of a drive-through and these are not subject to formal challenge.

The admissibility of the appeal is expected to be decided at the hearing itself.

Edited by thepits

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2008 at 14:48

Ferrari has announced that Kimi Raikkonen will stay with the team for the next two seasons - ending speculation that the reigning champion is on the brink of retirement.

Raikkonen's future had been a hot topic in the paddock all summer, with his disappointing performances this year fuelling rumours that he would quit the sport at the end of 2009 - or even after at the end of this season.

Fernando Alonso was widely assumed to be waiting in the wings to take the Ferrari seat whenever Raikkonen departed.

However today's (12th September 2008) surprise announcement just before (Monza's) second practice means that Ferrari will retain the Raikkonen and Felipe Massa partnership for at least two more years, with Massa having been re-signed through 2010 last autumn.

But don't care.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 21:31
Quote Stuck - BMW should have kept Vettel
Thursday, 18 September 2008
Sep.18 (GMM)  Hans-Joachim Stuck, a former German racing driver with long links to BMW, has questioned the Hinwil based team's decision last year to let Sebastian Vettel switch to Toro Rosso.

Vettel, who wowed the world of formula one by winning last Sunday's Italian grand prix from pole, was - despite firm existing contractual links to Red Bull - actively involved with BMW-Sauber last year as test driver.

"A year ago it wasn't possible to put him in our car, he was very inexperienced and you cannot gamble," team boss Mario Theissen explains.

But Stuck doesn't see it like that.

"The BMW management have missed what was the right time to have the right driver," he told Spox.

"That he drives now for a different team, makes no sense to me," Stuck, who raced in F1 in the 70s, continued.

"BMW surely had their reasons, but I would have probably done things differently," he added.

http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/10313/900/
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 13:12

Theissen refutes claims of a rift with Kubica

Friday 19th September 2008

Mario Theissen has denied that relations with Robert Kubica are strained in the wake of the Pole's claims that BMW are not doing enough to support his title bid.

Kubica hit out at his team in the build-up to the Italian GP, stating that he feels they are not doing enough to support his chances of winning the World title.

Kubica is currently third in the standings having led the battle earlier in the season after winning the Canadian GP.

The Polish driver's comments led to reports that his relationship with BMW had broken down, however, Theissen has denied this.

"We sat down twice over the Monza weekend and spent quite some time together," the BMW team boss told Autosport. "They (the reports) have been totally exaggerated.

"Robert was disappointed after the Spa race and he made some comments which were then turned into much harsher press statements. Then, after that, I was asked about the situation in Monza, and my comments were turned into harsh statements as well.

"I was asked in a Friday (press) briefing if the driver could be given a penalty for comments like this, and my answer was: 'I don't talk about contractual content'. The journalist then wrote that Theissen does not rule out a penalty!

"It just tells you that this is made out of almost nothing. There is certainly an issue we have to discuss, and it is about performance of the car.

"We have not developed as strongly as we expected. We have discussed this several times and I am sure we will keep up the discussions with Robert."

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4166585,00.html
1997 E39 523i
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 16:17

Quote "A year ago it wasn't possible to put him in our car, he was very inexperienced and you cannot gamble," team boss Mario Theissen explains.

"The BMW management have missed what was the right time to have the right driver. That he drives now for a different team, makes no sense to me," said Stuck, who raced in F1 in the 70s.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing

But don't care.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 17:27

The look of things to come ...........

New 2009 Wing

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 17:36
Are they wanting less downforce at the back then?
1997 E39 523i
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 17:43

For the 2009 season there is a raft of changes, something like 50% less downforce from the cars as a whole, no add-ons eg. barge boards,additional wing, shark fin rear engine cover and the re- introduction of slick tyres instead of the grooved slicks currently being used.

2009 Technical Regulations

(It's a bit indepth and longwinded.)

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2008 at 17:28

lol, talk about a turn around, they make the cars faster, then safer, then take away safety features, then add some more, then take away downforce. MAKE YER FLIPPIN MINDS UP!!!

Keeps things interesting I suppose!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2008 at 21:59

Singapore to be Formula One season highlight, says BMW

SINGAPORE (AFP) — The inaugural Singapore Grand Prix this week, the world's first-ever Formula One night race, is shaping up as the highlight of the season for many teams, BMW Sauber boss Mario Theissen says.

The race on Sunday will be held under spotlights on a street circuit, a new experience for everyone involved.

Theissen said the anticipation leading into the race was greater than at the other circuit making its debut this year -- in Valencia.

"Singapore is the second unknown quantity on the calendar this year after Valencia," he said.

"Both are city races, but in Singapore the action will also be taking place at night -- and that in an Asian metropolis and against an amazing backdrop.

"This will give the event even more appeal and excitement. You only need to think of the special atmosphere you get at a football match under floodlights: the surroundings melt into the background, the action itself takes centre stage.

"I'm expecting this premiere in Singapore to be the highlight of the season."

Despite the fact that the event will take place at night, it is unlikely to overly affect the drivers, unless it rains, Theissen added.

"We had a look around the circuit at a meeting of team managers in Singapore and were given a demonstration of the lighting system." he said.

"We were left very much with the impression that, although the race would be at night, it would actually be as bright as day. The only question remaining is whether the light will reflect from the track surface if it rains.

"That's something we'll only find out if we get a wet race."

Organisers say 1,500 lighting projectors -- powered by 12 pairs of diesel generators -- will illuminate the 5.067km long Marina Bay track, each one four times brighter than those routinely used at football stadiums.

BMW Sauber technical director Willy Rampf agreed that the sell-out Singapore race would be memorable.

"From the spectators' point of view, the Singapore Grand Prix -- the first night race in the history of Formula One -- will be a highlight in the truest sense of the word," he said.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gT3Ll77uGqucvZz9MLte0-mV 7q9Q
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2008 at 11:11

Email raises concerns about FIA's integrity

Tuesday 23rd September 2008

The disputed truthfulness and accuracy of an email sent by the FIA's legal department last Friday to everyone involved in McLaren's appeal hearing in Paris has once again raised fresh questions about the organisation's credibility and integrity.

The correspondence claimed that Tony Scott Andrews, a man held in high regard in F1 circles, admitted to making "an inadvertent error" while he was chief steward at the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix.

Scott Andrews, it was claimed, conceded that he wrongly imposed a time penalty on Italian driver Tonio Liuzzi for overtaking Adrian Sutil under yellow flags and Toro Rosso were allowed to appeal. The FIA email added that Scott Andrews had confirmed this in a phone conversation with F1 Race Director Charlie Whiting.

Were this to have been the case then the FIA would have been in a stronger position to rule the McLaren appeal against the stop-and-go penalty Lewis Hamilton suffered in Belgium as inadmissible. According to McLaren, the fact that Toro Rosso were granted the right to appeal means a precedent has been set that enables them to dispute the stewards' judgement in Spa.

"Having checked with the permanent chief of stewards who signed the Decision in Japan, we wish to inform you that there is an error on the face of the Decision document," the FIA told McLaren. The precedent would not hold, the mail declared, because Liuzzi's punishment was meted out under a different article of the rules.

It is a telling insight into McLaren's faith in the integrity of the governing body that, having received the email on Friday, they then sent a delegation of team officials to travel to Brands-Hatch on Sunday, where Scott Andrews was overseeing a race event, to check the truthfulness of the FIA's claim. His reaction to being informed of the FIA email is reported to have been one of 'outrage'.

Scott Andrews told the court in Paris: "I have seen the email and I'm extremely surprised by its content. In short, it is grossly inaccurate and misleading."

He continued by stating that Whiting had never asked him if he had made an error in Japan and added: "Had he done so, the answer would have been 'no'."

In his closing speech, McLaren's lawyer Mark Phillips QC called the email an "unfortunate exchange" and added: "I ask you to reflect on that when you come to consider the way in which certain members of the FIA conducted themselves. I won't say any more than that."

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4183805,00.html

Edited by kbannon
1997 E39 523i
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2008 at 16:31

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2008 at 16:33
It turns out that the FIA have rejected the McLaren appeal.
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4185293,00.html
1997 E39 523i
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2008 at 20:55

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

It turns out that the FIA have rejected the McLaren appeal.

See told you so

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2008 at 16:48

Jarno Trulli has been reprimanded by the stewards and fined 10,000 euros for driving the wrong way round the track in Friday’s first practice at Singapore.

The Italian half-spun at the fast final corner halfway through the opening session and proceeded to drive for a short distance in the direction of the oncoming traffic before executing a U-turn into the pit lane.

Stewards ruled that he had breached of Article 30.2 of Formula 1’s sporting regulations, and Appendix L, Chapter 4, Article 4d of the International Sporting Code.

Article 30.2 states that “drivers are strictly forbidden to drive their car in the opposite direction to the race unless this is absolutely necessary in order to move the car from a dangerous position”.

The International Sporting Code states that “except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards of the meeting), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the deceleration zone and the track is prohibited.”

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44067&PO=4406 7

But don't care.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 19:48
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 19:49
FIA To Exhaustively Examine BMW Race Engine

Over the last couple of monthes, the FIA has been doing exhaustive examinations of the race engines of Formula One's top teams.

The Mercedes powerplant of McLaren's Lewis Hamilton was the first engine reviewed. No findings were made public regarding that review.

The Ferrari powerplant of Felipe Massa was the next F1 engine examined, and led to no apparent issues.

Now, the FIA continues to look for issues, and will be opening up BMW's F1 engine that was raced by Robert Kubica at the Singapore Grand Prix.

If the pattern continues, we expect BMW to start the Japanese Grand Prix without any penalties.

[paddocktalk.com]
1997 E39 523i
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 21:09

"After Felipe Massa’s scintillating qualifying performance, Ferrari were confident of victory heading into Sunday’s inaugural Singapore Grand Prix. Instead, however, they leave the Marina Bay circuit rueing vital pit-stop errors that ruined the Brazilian’s race and cost the Italian team the lead in the constructors’ championship.
Everything started smoothly for Massa, the pole-sitter quickly building a lead over title rival Lewis Hamilton. But at his first pit stop disaster struck. He was given the green light too early and left with the fuel hose still attached to his car.
Massa was forced to wait at the end of the pit lane for his mechanics to run down and wrestle the hose off, but he then received a drive-through penalty for being unsafely released from the stop. The blunder undoubtedly cost him the race and after a late puncture he eventually finished 13th - 35 seconds adrift of victor Fernando Alonso.
“It's hard to deal with losing in this fashion a race that was within our grasp, with a car that was just the way I wanted it,” said Massa. “We had a good strategy and all the signs were there that we could get a one-two finish. But things can change in a moment and that's what happened today. At the pit stop, one of the guys made a mistake. But we are only human. Each one of us always tries to do our best and these things can happen.”
Despite Massa’s strife, Ferrari were still poised to pick up four points courtesy of Kimi Raikkonen, who was running in P5 after his final pit stop. That was until the champion went off into the wall at Turn 10 with less than four laps to go.
"I was trying to attack Glock in case he might make a mistake, but I went slightly wide at the chicane, jumping over the kerb and when the car landed, I lost control and ended up in the barriers,” explained Raikkonen. “My situation in the championship was already rather compromised, so this doesn't really make that much difference but I am unhappy because the team has lost precious points in the constructors' classification.”
Ferrari’s failure to score in Singapore means that rivals McLaren now lead the constructors’ standings, with 135 points to the reigning champions’ 134."

oh dear, how sad, McLaren 6 Ferarri 0

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 21:25
Formula One's first night race was a huge success and it seems inevitable that more events will follow Singapore's lead in the future. F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone - whose idea it was to follow a lead taken by other motorsport categories - has already hinted he would like the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka next year to be held under lights. And in the Singapore paddock there were rumours that the organisers of the Abu Dhabi race, which is to make its debut as the season finale next year, had taken note of the impact made by this event and would also run their race at night. Ecclestone would doubtless endorse that idea. Running Abu Dhabi at night would ensure the race was televised during the all-important Sunday night prime time in Europe. For anyone wondering why, if the European audience is so crucial to F1, the races are not simply held in that part of the world in the first place, the answer - as always in F1 - lies with money. New, exotic locations increase interest in F1 by enhancing its image. That, combined with more races at a time which appeals to the sport's core audience, means bigger audiences, and therefore happier television companies who will keep paying to show the sport. Bigger audiences mean more advertising revenue, for those TV companies who collect it - which is nearly all of them - as well as for Ecclestone.

And he wins in another way, too. Countries like Singapore are prepared to pay far more to host a Grand Prix than most European races can afford, even if they are funded by government.

For these new venues, an F1 event means an opportunity to showcase themselves to the world in the most flattering light - and that is effectively priceless. It was an opportunity Singapore grabbed with both hands at the weekend. The track was interesting, the event ran almost without a hitch, the cars looked even more spectacular than usual under the floodlights, and Singapore's evocative location and history meant it came already loaded up with a glamour that could soon rival that of Monaco. That glamour works both ways - Singapore's rubs off on F1 just as the sport's rubs off on its host. "It has a good chance of challenging Monaco for being the jewel in the crown of Formula One," team owner Frank Williams said. "They have great weather, a very good track, and the grandstands packed. There is a lot of enthusiasm out there."

Packed grandstands are not something F1 has been used to seeing in the new venues it has adopted around the world in recent years.

Places like Malaysia and Bahrain might have the money to buy the sport, but they have not been able to buy an interest among their populations.

Singapore, though, was different - partly because the race was held on a track through the middle of the city, but also because its inhabitants have a fair bit more disposable income than the average resident of Kuala Lumpur or Manama.

The race's success is likely to have ramifications that go further than simply increasing the number of Asian night races.

"It is not just a new experience, it is a real big step in the history of Grand Prix racing," said McLaren team boss Ron Dennis.

"When you see the shots of the city and the way they have brought the whole atmosphere of Singapore into the event, it is just a phenomenal spectacle.

"We can take this model and apply it to anywhere in the world - either to bring Europe the race at a time when people watch it, or even within Europe to make it more spectacular.

"Now there will be a lot of analysis as to when is the best time to put Grand Prix racing on television. It is going to set a new trend."

F1, though, might be best advised not to get too carried away by Singapore's success.

Great event though it undoubtedly was, as well as a fabulous spectacle on TV, if the sport introduces too many night races there is a danger they will lose their novelty value.

That, though, is not a concern of Singapore, which won almost universal praise for its first attempt at hosting a major sporting event.

Any criticism levelled at the race from its participants was minimal.

There were a few moans from the drivers about the number of severe bumps on the track surface, which made life quite difficult on a long lap with 23 corners.

There was also some criticism of the lack of overtaking points on the track.

And everyone in F1 found it difficult to stay on European time while in a place six or seven time zones away.

"Teaching your body to think it's day time when actually it's night time, it kind of messes with your mind," said Lewis Hamilton.

But these were pretty minor issues in the wider scheme of things.

Unlike Monaco, there were a couple of places where overtaking was just about possible if a driver got everything just so - particularly into Turns One and Seven, as was proved during the race.

And the bumps actually made the event more interesting. They made mistakes more likely. A crash on a street circuit means a safety car and that is what made the race as eventful as it was, and which gave Renault's Fernando Alonso a massive helping hand on his way to victory.

The Spaniard's win after a year-long drought put the icing on a pretty satisfactory weekend all round.

It has been too long since Alonso stood on the top step of the podium.

Still regarded by many in F1 as the most complete racing driver in the sport, the Spanish double world champion has driven his heart out all year in a difficult car that, frankly, does not deserve him.

Renault had its most competitive weekend of the year in Singapore, and Alonso - as is the way of all great drivers - grabbed the opportunity with both hands when it came to him, even if the win owed a great deal to luck, and the timing of the first safety car period, as Alonso was the first to admit.

Only Ferrari have cause to rue their first visit to Singapore.

A disastrous error at Felipe Massa's first pit stop, when he was given a go signal while the refuelling hose was still attached, ruined his race and dealt his title hopes a heavy blow.

But even that was not as bad as it could have been.

The fact that Hamilton could manage only third place meant the McLaren driver extended his lead only to seven points with three races to go when in a normal race the Englishman would probably have converted Massa's misfortune into a win.

The result means Hamilton can afford to finish second behind Massa at each of the final three races and still emerge as champion.

But the run-in is unlikely to be that simple. This has been a season defined by the quite extraordinary number of mistakes made by the sport's leading contenders.

It would be out of character, then, if there were not to be a few more twists and turns before the destiny of the drivers' crown is finally decided.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/76409 07.stm

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic