Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: Used BMW Z4 Coupé Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: Used BMW Z4 Coupé Review
    Posted: 14-September-2008 at 16:45
September 14, 2008

BMW Z4 coupé

Used car

BMW Z4 M Coupe

Jason Dawe

The BMW Z4 coupé is one of the best sports cars on the market. And as consumers tighten their belts and the used car market suffers the knock-on effects, it has become more affordable, making it arguably the best value two-seater you can buy.

It was launched in 2006, three years after the original Z4, which came only as a convertible. At first, it seemed a strange decision from BMW: why would anyone buy a hard-top version of what was already a capable sports car? The coupé lacks the fresh-air fun of the drop-top and gains little in practicality. But the coupé was an instant hit and remains desirable in the used car market where a second-hand example is worth virtually as much as an equivalent roadster despite costing about £1,500 less when new.

The reason for its popularity lies in the way it drives. The effects of the stiffer body structure, uprated suspension and quicker-ratio steering rack can be judged by any Z4 coupé driver’s grin. Compared with the roadster, it feels more eager and responsive and the Z4’s excellent weight distribution and low centre of gravity can be fully exploited. A great chassis is deserving of a great engine and BMW offers a 3 litre 265bhp unit and the mouth-watering 3.2 litre M unit producing 343bhp.

Few drivers could fail to be impressed by the pace of the mighty M version; 0-62mph takes just 5sec and the electronic speed limiter, set at 155mph, well and truly masks the car’s performance potential. Buyers need to balance that performance with the reality that fuel economy will struggle to better 20mpg and annual insurance and maintenance costs will be high.

The alternative 3 litre unit is hardly a soft option. In a car weighing less than rivals such as the Nissan 350Z, the 265bhp powers it to 62mph in 5.7sec, before being pegged back to the same artificially limited top speed.

The standard 3.0 SE specification is generous, with climate control, 17in alloy wheels, computer and leather upholstery as standard. The Sport derivative adds 18in alloys, plus M Sports suspension and seats which are popular with enthusiastic drivers. As BMW encourages owners to individualise their cars, few used examples are directly comparable, but do not pay large premiums for a list of frivolous options.

When talking money, expect to pay a premium of about £1,500 for a Sport over an SE. The good news is the market is going down, with June and July seeing values plunge by nearly £1,000 per month on a 3.0 SE manual.

So if you fancy a second-hand Z4 coupé you can afford to be fussy: demand sensible colours, low mileages and complete service histories. Anything less should be priced accordingly.

CHECK THE FOLLOWING

BOOT SPACE

At 285 litres it is slightly larger than that of the Z4 roadster

BRAKES

Discs and pads prone to wear, especially on town-dwelling autos

FRONT SPOILER

Lower lip is low and prone to scuffing on road bumps

GEARBOX

Standard six-speed manual good but bettered by optional auto

LEATHER UPHOLSTERY

Side bolsters prone to wear and scuffing, particularly on Sport models

SAFETY

Traction control systems integrate with cornering brake control to provide sure-footed handling

STEERING

Speed-sensitive Servotronic steering standard on all models

SUSPENSION

Uprated suspension of Sport and Z4M model gives great handling but comfort can suffer around town

Vital statistics

MODEL BMW Z4 coupé

ENGINE 2996cc, six cylinders

POWER 265bhp

TRANSMISSION Six-speed manual

FUEL 32.1mpg (combined)

CO2 204g/km

ACCELERATION 0-62mph: 5.7sec

TOP SPEED 155mph

COST NEW (2006) £33,775

ROAD TAX BAND F (£210 for a year)

The one to buy

BMW Z4 coupé 3.0si Sport auto 2006 06 with 20,000 miles. Pay £21,000 at a BMW dealer or £20,000 privately

Or for similar money

2000 V Porsche 911 Carrera

2002 02 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa coupé

2004 04 Lexus SC 430 coupé

2005 05 Mercedes-Benz SLK 280

2007 07 Volvo C70 coupé cabriolet

OWNER’S VIEW

The car feels pretty quick, but I wish I’d bought the Sport with bigger wheels. The SE ride comfort is a bit soft for me
JD, Ilford

timesonline.co.uk

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic