Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked(I need) Advice on claying car....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (I need) Advice on claying car....
    Posted: 19-September-2008 at 11:06
I hope to clay my car for the first time tomorrw. I've never done this before....what I usually did was wash the car regularly and put car polish/colour restorer on it twice to 3 times a year.
I understand this would be a basic way of looking after the bodywork?
My question is....do I just wash the car before claying it or is there something else I've to put on the car? And once I've it clayed am I right in saying I should polish it and then wax it?
Cheers for any advice!

Edited by keithc
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
Sponsored Links

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 13:02

Wash the car first.

Then clay the car using straight lines.  None of this wax on wax off p**h,  Mr Myagi has a lot to answer for.  Clay in straight line, rub your hand over the contour that you have just clayed.  If you still feel bumps, go over again.  Keep the paint work lubricated before every pass.

Wash the car after claying.

Dry the car and compound. Or dry and polish.

Then seal (if you have sealent) or just finish off with wax.

Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2008 at 09:58
Whats the name of this clay bar! can you get it anywhere!
2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2008 at 10:09
Try Halfords, they sell the Meguiars Quick Clay about £12.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2008 at 11:11
I get a lot of my car cleaning products (well recently...once I read up on proper car care!!) from www.raceglaze.co.uk. This is where I got the clay bars and lube. Their prices and website seem good.

And thanks Allan for the advice. I actually didn't get time on sat to do the car and I'm off to England for a week on wed so I'm gonna have to wait a bit!

Edited by keithc
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
Cueballzero View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cueballzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2008 at 22:03
be careful with clay bars, they have different grades.

they basically act like a very very very fine scouring pads to remove ingrained muck and part of the top layer of paint - you need to keep them well lubricated.

I'd recommend the websites www.detailingworld.co.uk for advice and i4detailing.co.uk for products - matt the owner is a well known figure on the forum scene and throws in all sorts of discounts.

I'd recommend him anyway.

Less Weight : More Power
adamparker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 12:48
Clay is used to remove deep ground-in dirt and stains without damaging the car's finish. Using a clay bar will remove embedded surface contamination that still remains after a maintenance wash. Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System is good product for use.

Edited by adamparker - 24-February-2012 at 12:49
Cueballzero View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cueballzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 16:34
Adam, clay bars do effect a finish - hense why after clay barring a car it's always recommended to re-seal the paint work and wax, post clay barring.

How do you think a clay bar can remove particles and contaminants without also removing previous waxed and sealants?
Less Weight : More Power
RobTur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobTur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2012 at 15:39
If you are getting it online, have a look at Dodo Juice Basics of Bling clay, its yellow and the same one as many other companies use and charge a lot more, i would also consider a lube for it to help prevent marring of the paintwork.
WWW.PRISMDETAILING.CO.UK - New Website Launched !!!!

Swissvax & Dodo Juice Detailer in Glasgow and covering Scotland/UK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic