Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReplacing gear lever gaiter on my Compact...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiseguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing gear lever gaiter on my Compact...
    Posted: 09-October-2008 at 09:11

... but how do I remove the gear lever?  I've taken off the shift diagram sticker and removed the screw underneath, but the damn thing won't budge!

Previous: E36 318tds Compact E34 530i Touring, E24 635 CSi, E30 320i Touring, E21 323i
Sponsored Links

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2008 at 09:42
you just pull the knob off!

but it does need a might good tug!
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2008 at 09:52
Are you trying to remove the whole lever or just the knob? If it's just the knob, some of them had a little allen bolt at the bottom, well the E30's did anway (you have to slide down the gaiter a little bit and then it should be visible). The knob on my E36 just slides straight up, needless to say it requires a bit of force though.

If it's the lever, then you need a special tool to twist the plastic cup it is located in out- but you shouldn't have to take it out if you are replacing either of the gaiters.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2008 at 10:11

Originally posted by Eamo Eamo wrote:

you just pull the knob off! but it does need a might good tug!

so make sure you don't smash yourself in the face!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
wiseguy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiseguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2008 at 11:17

It's the knob I'm trying to remove - maybe I'm just being too tender!!!

Thanks all.

Previous: E36 318tds Compact E34 530i Touring, E24 635 CSi, E30 320i Touring, E21 323i
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2008 at 11:23
just looking at your signature there boss - you have a 530 touring.

hardly a maroon colored one is it? I looked at one up that neck of the woods a few months ago
wiseguy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiseguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2008 at 15:12

just looking at your signature there boss - you have a 530 touring.

hardly a maroon colored one is it? I looked at one up that neck of the woods a few months ago

That's the one Eamo - you've just reminded me I need to update my sig as I sold it about 6 weeks ago.  What did you buy in the end?

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2008 at 20:21
Originally posted by wiseguy wiseguy wrote:

just looking at your signature there boss - you have a 530 touring. hardly a maroon colored one is it? I looked at one up that neck of the woods a few months ago

That's the one Eamo - you've just reminded me I need to update my sig as I sold it about 6 weeks ago.  What did you buy in the end?

an e30 320is!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic