Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - For iDrive 4.0, BMW Decides to Bring Back a Few Buttons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFor iDrive 4.0, BMW Decides to Bring Back a Few Buttons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For iDrive 4.0, BMW Decides to Bring Back a Few Buttons
    Posted: 25-October-2008 at 08:44
For iDrive 4.0, BMW Decides to Bring Back a Few Buttons
Quote ONE is hard pressed to recall an automotive feature that has been as relentlessly criticized as iDrive, the central control system in many BMWs. “Dizzying,” “hindrance” and “knobsense” are some of the kinder words that have been used to describe the often bewildering computerized interface that operates the navigation, communications and entertainment systems.

The new control system includes a cluster of seven buttons around the control knob.

But just as relentlessly, BMW has clung to iDrive through seven years of adjustments, upgrades and tweaks. Now, in some cars that became available this month, the company is offering a new system with a revised interface that is easier to use and may be ready to shed its image as a symbol of technology run amok.

The iDrive system was originally intended to be a paragon of simplicity. BMW engineers said they thought the growing thicket of inscrutable buttons on car dashboards was confusing. So they eliminated many of the buttons and knobs and replaced them with iDrive’s in-dash LCD display and a rotating, sliding, toggling knob on the center console, allowing drivers to select among myriad controls and settings. But as engineers sometimes do, they went too far.

The iDrive could (and still can) control everything from the temperature settings and the speed of the air-conditioning fan to the radio, navigation system and cellphone. The trouble was that it was frustratingly complex. In one version of the system, for example, one had to navigate multiple screens just to turn up the air-conditioning; storing a preferred radio station took up to five spins and clicks of the knob. And the on-screen menus, which started from an odd eight-point compass screen, used abstruse initials like “BC” (meaning board computer, used to access features like distance-to-empty and fuel economy) and “PDC pic” (meaning park distance control, which helps with parking).

As if all this weren’t bad enough, earlier iDrives were so slow to respond that changing any setting was best performed while the car was parked.

But over the years, BMW throttled back on the iDrive, first adding buttons for climate controls, then a row of programmable buttons so that drivers could get directly to functions of their choice. Later, the eight-point compass menu was cut to four.

Now, with what is officially BMW’s fourth version of iDrive, the company has abandoned the compass menu for a traditional vertical list and branching-tree structure. The iDrive control knob still sits ahead of the center armrest, but it is surrounded by a cluster of seven buttons. The voice recognition system has been tweaked with a faster computer processor and 80 gigabyte hard drive that lets iDrive switch more quickly between functions and controls.

This great-grandson of iDrive made its debut in revised 2009 3 Series and 1 Series models this month as a roughly $2,000 option (depending on the model). It will be standard in 7 Series models starting in the spring.

Sitting behind the wheel of a preproduction 2009 335d, I immediately felt more comfortable with the new iDrive. The crisp 8.8-inch display still eschews a touch screen (the company doesn’t want drivers leaning forward to change settings) in favor of the control knob, but the knob works more consistently and simply with the on-screen menus. You spin the knob to go down a menu list, push it to select an item, or just shove it left to go back to the previous menu. (Now was that so hard?)

The result is that you can skip to functions you want more quickly. And a large round on-screen icon changes depending on the area you have highlighted.

For example, a musical note graphic pops up for the CD/Multimedia selection. This made it easier to tell where I was with a quick glance.

The seven buttons around the iDrive knob also made it easier to switch among functions. They give you direct access to the CD, main menu, phone, radio, navigation and options screens, in addition to the always helpful “back” button. The push buttons vary in shape so it’s easy to learn them by feel.

Incidentally, for those who must always be tethered to an iPod, there’s a connector for the music player in the armrest, and the iDrive will display an iPod’s track, album and artist information on screen.

You can also rip CDs directly to the system’s hard drive or copy digital music files from any device connected to the U.S.B. port in the glove compartment.

The copying function will continue even if you switch to the radio or the navigation function.

Planning and following routes is also easier on the new iDrive. The screen can be split to show different views side by side, like a large overview map of an area next to a close-up perspective of your location. Thankfully, it can now also be set to show a single, simple view on the entire screen.

To enter addresses, rather than displaying a standard QWERTY keyboard layout, the alphanumeric characters are laid out around a rotary dial on the screen, which corresponds to the spinning of the iDrive controller. (Audi has been using a similar approach for several years.) I found this much quicker and easier to master than the usual on-screen keyboard.

The navigation system offers drivers three route choices: fastest, shortest and most fuel-efficient. Live traffic reports are delivered free over Clear Channel’s FM service.

If twirling knobs and pushing buttons isn’t for you, iDrive includes an improved voice-command system. Unlike the previous version, after pushing the voice control button you no longer have to wait for a beep to start speaking. And in addition to switching between functions, you can speak city and street names to plot a route or say the name of a contact to dial a Bluetooth-connected cellphone.

BMW owners will also be able to dig deeper into iDrive. For example, they can change programs that previously only dealers could adjust, like the automatic door-lock settings, as well as check information like the tire pressure. The version that will appear in the new 7 Series will also offer an on-screen owner’s manual with instructional videos (which can be watched only when the car is stopped).

BMW has accumulated driver data that, it says, has helped to improve iDrive, including having about 600 people use a driving simulator to tweak this version of the system. In all, I did find that the new personalization and customization features allowed me to tailor the interface to suit my preferences, depending on whether I preferred push buttons, the spinning knob or voice commands.

The system may be easier to use, but has BMW finally eliminated the problem of driver distraction? Absolutely not. The voice-recognition software — like all such programs on the market — is far from perfect.

Moreover, there will always be drivers who will insist on plotting new routes or spinning through their iPod playlists while meandering up the Merritt Parkway. (Indeed, the fact that BMW will offer full Internet access and live TV in the European market, but not in the United States, says something about how much they trust us with this technology.) However, until some advanced voice-control system arrives that can comprehend every syllable without a mistake or hesitation, this may be the best BMW can achieve.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic