Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy new 520i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new 520i
    Posted: 29-October-2008 at 09:03

Hi Guys

Picked up my first ever BMW yesterday, 03 520i, could never understand all the hype about them.....and then I drove it

Amazing car!!

I have 4 problems, maybe some one can help

1. No drink holders, Maybe they broke all I have there now is a strip of black dash panel but I like my fizzy pop can anybody advise on an OEM supplier, other than main dealer please.

2. Also I need to gt a clear side repeater. I'm guessing my local dealer would be easiest place for that.

3. My washer/fluid light comes and goes currently full of fluid but light on??

4. Was told by previous owner the Air bag connector under the seat had come loose, it is now plugged back in, how much would main dealer charge to clear this light, also can anybody suggest a resetting tool I can plug in myself

Many thanks in advance guys

Chonker

Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 09:09
Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm sure the 5 series guys (and galls) will be around to answer your questions.

I'm sure folks will want to see some pics as well.

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Chonker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 09:44

Always happy to oblige...

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 11:54

Welcome to the forums.

Drinks holders are available on Fleabay. I thought they were fitted as standard (obviously not)

Side repeater (Fleabay)

Light reset...........I recon a service reset should do it if the fault has been cleared, just a bit of wire does it, plenty of info on google as to how............I've followed this http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/02/24/reset-bmw-e36-oil-servi ce-light/ on my E39 and my pals E46 and it works fine

Edited by Cambell
BigRevKev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRevKev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 11:55

Nice car.

Good luck with it.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 12:52

You appear to have the basic heating and ventilation controls so it is a different centre consul which may or may not have the necessary screw points for the drinks holder which I believe is a main dealer part.  I had to replace mine on my E39 and it was about 27 from a main dealer.

The air bag reset is a diagnostic machine job, which most garages will charge you 1 hours labour for, unless you know a friendly local garage who will do it for nowt.

Washer fluid float/sensor is probably goosed.  The washer bottle is located behind the front offside wheel arch lining which can be removed easily enough after taking the wheel off.

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 13:20

Welcome o the forum, & nice car!

With regards to the drinks holders, some models have them fitted above the radio, the trim piece releases with a push, & out pop the holders, other models have them at the bottom of the console below the heating controls, it all depends on the OBC I think, mines doesn't have any at all either as there is a traffic master system fitted below the heating controls, where the holders would have been. 

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Chonker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 16:41

Many thanks Guys,

Will get myself onto flee bay.

Chonker

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 18:51

Greetings and salutations.

Here is a couple of sites to get you started for bits and pieces

parts auction

bm town

chrome line

got heaps and heaps more but here is a few to get you going

Edited by Bigian
If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2008 at 14:51

Hi CHonker.  Very nice looking car.

The drinks holder is normally under the aircon controls in an e39.  Mine came without it, and I bought one on ebay for buttons.  Bear in mind that it is rubbish (sits very low, and is very bendy when you try and put a can into it).  I have resorted to getting a cheap and nasty vent mounted one (which is there for the last 3 years and works a treat!)

The side repeaters may be available from your local Otto.

For servicing, check out ACcarsales.com off SCR.  Very good and helpful.  Also excellent for parts and bulbs.  I rarely use anyone else now, despite being the other side of the country (Richie/Al; commission for all this sales talk??????? ).

WRT buying parts, always check the dealer price; they can sometimes be cheaper than ebay.

For airbag reset, I got a reset tool from a Dublin company on ebay for about 70, which does both OBD 1&2.  (Your 2003 e39 will probably be OBD 2, which is a rectangular fitting inside the car, rather than a circular fitting under the bonnet)

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic