Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedK&N Air Filters or Induction Kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K&N Air Filters or Induction Kits
    Posted: 05-November-2008 at 12:29
I'm not sure if this the right place to post this but anyways!.....I was thinking of putting a K&N air filter or an induction kit on my car and was wondering does the Air Filter make any difference and can I put an induction kit straight on or do I have to change settings on the car...eg...fuel/air mixture etc?

And would fuel consumption be affected as its my daily driver! Cheers in advance.
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
Sponsored Links

Maniac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2008 at 22:01

BREAK OUT OF THE FACTORY AIR BOX
57i Series Intake Kits are specifically designed for each different vehicle and will free your car from the size restriction that comes with the factory air box. These economical kits can take a variety of different forms based on vehicle characteristics and available space under the hood. Each kit is designed to provide power throughout the RPM range. Gen I’s take advantage of the added airflow provided by an oversized air filter released from the restrictive factory air box..

Instructions

Things You’ll Need:

Step1
Determine which induction kit you need for your car. There are almost as many kits available as there are models of car, and numerous different brands and styles. Shop around and buy one that is compatible with your vehicle.
Step2
Detach the negative battery cable from the battery. You don't want the electricity connected when you install your induction kit.
Step3
Unscrew the intake hose from the existing air box and carefully lift the air box out of the car.
Step4
Disconnect the engine breather pipe from the intake hose and the intake hose from the throttle housing. Gently remove the intake hose from the car.
Step5
Assemble any housings or support brackets included in the induction kit and find the spot on the engine where they are to be attached. The instruction manual will have a specific location where the support should be installed.
Step6
Attach the support brackets to their specific location with a screwdriver.
Step7
Remove the air box support from the chassis by unscrewing it or detaching the bolt.
Step8
Install any heat shielding or cooling systems to the mounting brackets, as dictated by the instructions.
Step9
Connect one end of the air hoses to their indicated places on the mounting brackets or the heat shielding. Install the other end behind the grill of the car.
Step10
Attach the intake pipe from the induction kit to the engine throttle along the mounting bracket and screw it into place until it is tightly secured.
Step11
Attach any rubber adapters or filters to the ends of the intake pipe.
Step12
Connect the new filter to the intake pipe and tighten it into place with the screwdriver.
Step13
Install the new breather pipe onto the intake house, then onto the engine. Secure it in place with the screwdriver.
Step14
Reconnect the battery and start the engine to see if the induction kit is working the way it should.

Google is magical... but mostly special filter is just factory filter replacement.
I dont wear seatbelt - I die like a man!

E39 523i
Maniac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2008 at 22:09

or my second best friend- youtube...

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=LKyj3dtL69s&feature=relate d

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wMV_wcQvmsc&feature=relate d

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdg4lxpjlRM&feature=relate d

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XjBtNC7rdPM

probably you found many links and basics from there...

none of them messed with car settings... only changed filter

I dont wear seatbelt - I die like a man!

E39 523i
Don520 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2008 at 10:56
I had a K&N on my last E34, but took it off after doing a bit more research
which convinced me they did not filter as well as stock filters.
95 520iSE Auto (sadly missed)
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2008 at 11:59
I found them a waste of time. I had a Jetex filter installed for a long while, but it was the oil impregnated type. They are very hard to clean, and because of a low surface area, they gunk up very quickly - so much so I believe that they actually ended up performing worse.

Put it this way, when I went back to stock filters I experienced NO drop in power. Changing a paper filter every 6 months is cheap, easy and just as good IMO.

I'd strongly recommend remapping instead. Or even better, the best tyres you can afford.
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2008 at 12:34
Good for sound affects though !
E39 530d Touring

keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2008 at 12:42
Originally posted by nn_dd nn_dd wrote:

With some cops its not what you want though! Cheers for the replies.....I think I'll stick with the orginal set up then. I usually replace the air filter at every service as I get em cheap!
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2008 at 20:14
I have a K&N 57i in my e34 and i notice no increase in power over any of my old sports, it revs a little easier but thats just because its chipped. if i was doing it myself id just put a panel filter in the standard airbox. The M3 will be getting the DaveF!
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2008 at 13:44

Originally posted by keithc keithc wrote:

Originally posted by nn_dd nn_dd wrote:

With some cops its not what you want though! Cheers for the replies.....I think I'll stick with the orginal set up then. I usually replace the air filter at every service as I get em cheap!

Normally in conjunction with a particular type of car

They really only show face when the car is revved hard.

E39 530d Touring

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic