Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTech1 325i Sport Restoration...Engine complete

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 19:27

Coming along nicely Paul.

Would you say you are still 'on schedule' for Gaydon '09?

F22 Estoril Blue M235i
Sponsored Links

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 20:05
Originally posted by bluebro bluebro wrote:

Coming along nicely Paul.

Would you say you are still 'on schedule' for Gaydon '09?

Not a chance, I'm going to miss it my a mile, but I'm not going to rush it, it'll be done when it's done.
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2009 at 19:51
A bit of an update, today I went up to the garage and got stuck into the engine, started to strip it down for painting, cleaning and overhauling. first i removed the oil cooler and filter housing and exhaust manifold...

then I removed the front pulleys and belt covers...

not sure if this was a date stamp at first, but i soon noticed it must be a casting number or something as the date is on the side.lol.

Then all of the water and breather pipes came off....

After that it was such a nice day I thought I take some photos

and back to the engine...
The inlet manifold was next to be removed...

then it was off with the rocker cover for a wee peak, the car previously was ran on Castrol GTX Magnatec and the protective stuff in it is still all over the engine, thats the orangy colour, can't be a bad thing I suppose, but it doesn't look as clean as other engines.

Next up was the sump 

the colour is the same down ere too....

everthing looks ok, no nasty surprises apart from the bolts for the sump being rather loose, less than hand tight, worrying, maybe that's why the sump leaked   Still easy fixed 

The Inlet fannymould was next to be stripped, there was a difference in colour in the ports, cylinders 3 and 4 were rather clean looking compared to the others, not sure if thats due to the shape of the manifold or a running issue.

So the injectors came out..in pieces, the rubber seals were very stiff and not doing too must imo, but they're being replaced, and I might do the M50b20 injector conversion too since they're out     

And finally the throttle body off....

Ready for cleaning and painting before being rebuilt

not bad for an afternoons pottering about

Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2009 at 20:27

OMG you are brave!  great pics

I will follow this with interest its like watching a soap can wait for the next episode!

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2009 at 20:33

Good work mate, would love to give you a hand but I'm in Brasil, sorry

But seriously, I will need to nip along for a butchers one afternoon, will get in touch when I get back...if I'm welcome of course! 

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
curnrik View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curnrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 00:30

I would love to be able to do to mine what you are doing to yours right now. Nice one.

As mines so rusty and not going to be put into any events anymore. You wouldn't fancy doing mines next wouldn't you?   

Joking!!!

Nice One.

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 10:23
Cheers Issy

Originally posted by sailorbaz sailorbaz wrote:

Good work mate, would love to give you a hand but I'm in Brasil, sorry

But seriously, I will need to nip along for a butchers one afternoon, will get in touch when I get back...if I'm welcome of course! 

Baz, you can nip along any time mate, always welcome, that's the same for the rest of you too...Just send me a PM or something and you can nip over.

curnik, trust me you're rust can't be as bad as this is it??
ACS330 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACS330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2009 at 12:43

Coming along nicely but come on now, can't you have a week of work and attack it, as Issy said about the soap, I cant wait for the next instalment.

If I was nearer I would give you a hand with the cleaning/painting part but its a bit of a shlep down to Edinburgh.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

ACS 330 Supercharged, some others, some long gone, some forgotten, some not, e39 528sport, e36 323Msport, e30 M3, e36 318se, e36 318is, e34 525se, e30 318is, e30 325sport and some unmentionables in between...
broos3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broos3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2009 at 19:46
Realy like the restoration your doing mate. Looked like a nice example before you started aswell. As the other guys have said its good to watch the whole thing through from start to hopefully the glorious finish!!

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2009 at 18:38
Keep going mate I'm feeling your pain
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2009 at 19:13

i wish i had the space and facilities to do something like this...

very well done so far 

Edited by stephenperry
big pimpin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2009 at 20:11
Originally posted by vpricey vpricey wrote:

The Inlet fannymould was next

Quote of the year so far!

Not sure if the orangy colour is due to the magnatec, as the 3 I've taken to bits lately are the same as that.

Are you doing the inlet manifold and rocker cover crackle black, Alpina stylee?

Keep up the good work, you're showing me up....I've been roped into decorating the hall at the moment
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2009 at 20:30
Originally posted by big pimpin big pimpin wrote:

The Inlet fannymould was next

Quote of the year so far!

Not sure if the orangy colour is due to the magnatec, as the 3 I've taken to bits lately are the same as that.

Are you doing the inlet manifold and rocker cover crackle black, Alpina stylee?

Keep up the good work, you're showing me up....I've been roped into decorating the hall at the moment

Well it's a funny word used so often on forums I had to use it!!lol.

As for the orangeyness i'm sure it never use to be that colour!?

I'm going to try and get the rocker cover, inlet manifold, timing covers and various brackets in the same kind of colour as what bss325i(Barry) has done on the E30Zone, a sort of cast metal colour, a satin silver colour, looks very suave!! I'll try and find a pic. Although painting it a funky colour has past my mind!?

I'm also contemplating a 2.8 build since the crank will be coming out anyway for an inspection and renewal of the shells and prob gonna get the piston rings done too as she was a bit smokey on full chant!

So if anyone knows of an M50/52 2.8 crank let me know.....I can see the pound signs infront of me now!!

And as for you painting that hall, hurry up and get back to the garage!!

Cheers for the comments folks
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2009 at 21:07
I tilt my hat to you mate, much respect to what you're taking on.
I just can't wait to see the finished article it will be something special

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 20:55
Right, another little update......

whilst i'm waiting for the shell to get painted, I've decided to be completely insane and spank more cash on doing a 2.8 conversion aswell, so since I've completely lost my mind..I'll strip down the engine a bit more!

So...the lighting in the garage is pretty crap so the pics are very poor but I'll take some better ones when I next go up....here goes....

I forgot to take some pics, but the Head and gasket came off, but since I fixed the head last year I wasn't expecting too much bad here...

A bit coked up though, seems to have been running a bit rich before this...

same here...

So next up was the challenge of getting the front crank bolt off....but this was a bit of a shock as it was very lose and managed Neil and I got it lose with only a little pressure with a 1/2" bar...

So next up was the Pistons to come out, didn't manage to get many pics here, but I took some this afternoon when I got home....

Seems like I caught these in the nick of time...

P1

P2

P3

P4

P5

P6

Just...

Seems like these could do with a bit of a clean up though, and 3 and 6 had the worse scoring on the side too... 

P1

P2

P3

P4

P5

P6

But hopefully these  should be fine, gonna take them down to the local machine shop in Rosewell, Engine Services for the 12mm to be shaved off of the skirts   Also I've picked up a set of b20 130mm con rods for the conversion too...So just the Crank to find!!

So I'm getting there, but I'm off my head!!!! 
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 21:53

So I'm getting there, but I'm off my head!!!! 

Yes  - but good luck all the same

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 22:58
 Get in there , thay are some pics, good job . your car is going to be the dogs b';*&^ when its all duncant whate to see it ...j
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 06:22

Originally posted by VPRICEY VPRICEY wrote:

gonna take them down to the local machine shop in Rosewell, Engine Services for the 12mm to be shaved off of the skirts 
That guy also has a dyno in his back shop (if its the same bloke I'm thinking of) so you could get your completed engine bolted on and checked...........I would !!!!

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 06:23
12mm ?????
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 08:46

Hi Paul

Excellent thread. 

I am really envious of what you are doing.  I would love to strip a car down like that, repair it, clean it up and re-build it....but my wife wouldn't let me!

Just out of interest how are you going to convert it to a 2.8 from a 2.5?  I see you are after a crank, presumably that gives you a longer stroke?  If so how do you then get the original block/head to work the pistons without the top of the piston hitting the combustion chambers in the head?  To me you would need to increase the height of the block or is there a trick with the con rods and pistons that I can't picture how it would work.

I don't know why but I have missed this thread out.  Must have been when you started this thread was when I was having some issues and I wasn't myself.

All the best with it and I'll continue to read with great interest.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic