Forum LockedWhich bimmer to buy next

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which bimmer to buy next
    Posted: 12-October-2009 at 18:16

Nice....face lifted model too.

Just don't park up on that kerb too often.  That won't do the wheel alignment much good not to mention them 9.5 x 19 alloys...

Watch Clarksons review of the 535d.  It's good...for a diesel....

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 10:04

Nice motor

I think it will take me longer than 1 year to find my next BMW...

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2009 at 19:29
and it took me almost 1 year to buy this car.
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2009 at 19:27

Guys, forgot to update this post. I bought a 535d few months back. It is very good combination of power, luxury and performance. Now when I think what car should buy after this I can't think of any. This is simply the best (given my requirement of having a family saloon 5 door car with a bit of performance) I don't accelerate it harder when my wife is sitting on passenger seat as she starts getting headache but I do it when a friend is sitting next, it takes sh*t out of them. It is seriously cool car. Thanks for your extremely evaluable suggestion friends. Here are the pics.

mjansari View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 15:47
duh just realised 335d sport or 535d sport
mjansari View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 15:46

760 sport

alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2009 at 22:44
535d Sport is the one to have, I've seen a few around for about 16k but with over 70k on the clock!!!
I test drove the 335d and the power delivery is very impressive!
You won't be disappointed!

Edited by alym786
E46 328ci now sold :(
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2009 at 08:03

If you must buy an oil burner then todays 535d and 335d are the ones to get.  They are both twin turbo engines and not single fan driven stuff which will have noticeable turbo lag.  Little turbo, no lag at low engine rpms gets you going then when the revs build up they are suifficent for the bigger turbo to kick in which then sends you well on your way. 0-60 6.4 secs, t'is no slouch.

The 535d comes standard as automatic.

I wouldn't have thought you could get a 535d for 15k yet.

If you search Youtube you might find a clip from TopGear when JC reviewed the 535d. (This clip keeps getting pulled off so my links never work and I can't access Youtube at work)  He liked it for a diesel but he proved that no matter how many units of torque you have it can be out done by sheer power or POOOOOOWWWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRR as Mr Clarkson would say. 286 bhp and 580 Nm of torque from the oil burner vs 333 bhp and 450 Nm of torque from the V8.  Big difference in torque but wasn't enough to match the power from the V8.  Very close but, just not quite.

If conditions dictated that I had to get a diesel, that would be the one I would get.  And more importantly there have been no horror stories of turbo's failing. 

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2009 at 13:24
Guys,

Sorry to invoke this old thread but I couldn't buy in
the first quarter due to my job uncertainty. Now things
seems be a bit better and promising then before.

I am quite keen to buy 535d as I find reviews quite
positive. I never owned a diesel before but as said in
various posts above that diesel is not recommended, may
I know a subtle reason why diesel should not be
considered. Given the combination of mpg and performance
of 535d I think it is quite reasonable. They say it is
world's best diesel car ever made, also I heard 530d at
BMW showroom and it wasn't that loud when we started the
engine keeping all windows down.

I don't find E60 cheaper either, my 15k budget won't get
me anything what I want. As said in first post I am
after automatic, 2006 onwards, 40kish on clock with sat
nav, xenons, possibly lane departure featured model.
Actually price for this car never dropped in past 6
month, they are still coming for appx. 20k, which is a
lot and well above my budget. But by selling my current
318i I can consider spending that much but I need ur say
before I go ahead with any deal next month.

Thanks for reading,
-Afsar

Edited by afsar
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2008 at 12:39
I can assure you Peter that I do have fun in the car.  Just not all the time.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2008 at 10:37
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Remember that is around 29 mpg from something that will crack 60 in under 6 seconds and is pegged back at 155mph and scare the brown stuff out of E46 M3 owners.  

If you were scaring the brown stuff out of E46 m3 owners then you wouldn't be getting 29mpg. I bet that you have to take if fairly gently to get 29mpg out of your car. Either that or you spend a lot of time on the motorway at 70mph. You will certainly not be driving it hard to get that MPG.

Am I right?

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2008 at 14:38
Having checked pistonheads recently and the prices shown there I'm still plumping for an M5 and buy the wife a cruise with the change to keep her happy!!!
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2008 at 13:46

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

The V8 has quite a bit more pwer but dspite what Andrew says it will get worse mpg and it will cost more come service time.

Must disagree with you there sir.

Since the 20th of  August my car has returned the following average mpg when filling it up, calculated by hand not going on the cars computer.

30.0, 31.3. 30.7, 34.4, 34.4, 30.7, 30.7, 29.1, 31.0, 28.8, 23.5, 29.1, 21.9, 22.4, (Towing a caravan for the last two) 29.4, 30.7, 26.4, 27.9, 24.3, 29.4 and 29.4.  All on Shell VPower.

(info recorded for my ongoing VPower v Unleaded experiment)

So that lot averages out at 28.8 mpg.  So yes I must apologise profusely to everyone when I said my car gets on average 30.0mpg.  Sorry knuckles duly wrapped!

It will quite clearly give me more than 30.0mpg on some runs but when you then drive thru stop start commuter traffic on the M8 it brings it down to the above figures.  Return run to Edinburgh for a Saturday nightshift and I got 33 mpg, now that I have driven on the M8 three times in commuter traffic it is now down to about 31 mpg IIRC from this morning.

Still 28.8 mpg is not much worse than my E39 (31mpg at best) and way better than my old Senator.  If you take out the two rouge ones when I was towing a caravan it averages out at 29.5 mpg. 

Remember that is around 29 mpg from something that will crack 60 in under 6 seconds and is pegged back at 155mph and scare the brown stuff out of E46 M3 owners.  

It's when the back end wiggles and the traction control checks your progress when you are accelerating hard at 40-50mpg, that is the scary!

As said by others the cheaper older V8 with higher running costs is offset by paying less for it in the first place.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2008 at 09:25
Well, if you're worried about space and practicality for the little 'un go for the touring then you'll never have to worry about space again.

Satnav/TV is a nice addition but not an option I'd pay over the odds on, sports pack is good, I think you're looking at the E60 with options like lane departure system and driver-adjustive headlights aren't you?

IMHO the E60 comes alive style-wise in a dark colour (think Henry Ford or blue etc) with bigger wheels.

Edited by Stone-IslandV8

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2008 at 09:21

Sometimes you have to set a limit in terms of running costs.

Oh blow that, cross that bridge when you come to it.

afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2008 at 23:22
Thanks for your advise my friends. I am less confused
then before. 530 seems better option to me now.

Having decided on model lets get in more details. ;-)
What shall I expect in a car before I commit a deal.
e.g. bluetooth, rain sensing wipers, swivel headlights,
heated seats, even lane departure warning system (if I
am not asking too much ), harmon kardon
system, alloys etc.

I am not sure if these systems are by default or not
possible in 5 series at all!

Please guide me here too.

~~Afsar~~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2008 at 17:55
Originally posted by Stone-IslandV8 Stone-IslandV8 wrote:

The V8 has quite a bit more pwer but dspite what Andrew says it will get worse mpg and it will cost more come service time.

But isnt that offset by the V8?

Am I the only one on here who's wife works on the basis that if I don't get the engine/power I want/like then I'll be a nightmare so lets me get on with it??!!? But then again its my car...she can't drive.

Sometimes you have to set a limit in terms of running costs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2008 at 17:51

Get the 530 or a 330 saloon. If it was me and I had kids I would forget the 330 coupe/convertible.

IMO the 530 is a much nicer car than a 330. Lots more space than a 330, more refined and in general a nicer drive.

dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2008 at 17:05
E39 530i doe's what it says on the tin! fast comfortable loads of room, all the bells and whistles for you to play with, problem i found with the vert and coupe's is the doors are so long,can't fully open it in car park to get the nipper in or out of the back.(unless you drop the top!)
e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 13:43

But isnt that offset by the V8?

Am I the only one on here who's wife works on the basis that if I don't get the engine/power I want/like then I'll be a nightmare so lets me get on with it??!!? But then again its my car...she can't drive.

As for the baby not standing it......it'll have your wallet in its mitts before too long so get your own back in advance.

My kids loved the M3 and the 540, and no I don't drive it exuberantly when they're all in the car.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic