Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhich bimmer to buy next

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which bimmer to buy next
    Posted: 10-November-2008 at 23:31
Guys,

Just thinking of upgrading my entry level 3 series to
something better, not immediately but by first quarter
next year. I have appx 15k to shed and want to buy used
something appx 2 years old and less then 30k miles
driven.

Users of car will be myself (weekday office goer) my
wife (weekend passenger) and a baby (7 months now).

I was planning for a hard top convertible (325ci) but
don't think it will be comfortable with a baby now. Give
me your input on this if you have been through this
situation ever.

Shall I go for 5 series? Shall I buy diesel or petrol?
What kind of car can I afford with my current budget?
blah blah blah... so many question coming in mind. So I
need your recommendation before I make any move.

Many thanks.
-Afsar
Sponsored Links

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2008 at 11:42
Blow the years and the mileage and get an E46 M3 or 330 clubsport.

Or an M5
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2008 at 12:40
I saw an E39 M5 for under 8 grand today. I saw an LE E34 M5 (probably the best E34 M5 in the UK) for 8 grand yesterday. E38 7-series regularly go for under 5 and you'll have plenty left if something goes wrong.

For 15 grand, you'll really be spoilt for choice -- IF you chuck out the restrictions (which are pretty nonsensical ones, IMO!)

If you want a sensible, pragmatic choice, get a 118 diesel, you'll be on the lowest tax bracket and they are great fun to drive, handling wise.
Ciao,
Spokey

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2008 at 14:17

I would make any plans of what to buy quite yet, by the end of Q1 next year £15k might buy you a load more car that it does today, just wait......

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/782133.htm

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2008 at 22:31
i agree. the way things are going 10 grand will buy you a 15 grand ride next year
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2008 at 10:45
thanks guys for suggestions so far.
645 will be too much for me, not just the price but 4.5
litre car to carry 12 stones will be overkill. My car
share pal drives 645ci one of these and he can do one
traffic light to another pretty quickly and then wait
there for like any other fiat punto.

btw. howz a 2 door car for a baby. If thats not a
problem then I was quite interested in 325ci hardtop.
What do you guys think of this one?
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2008 at 12:13

325ci is a fine car although if you have a baby you might find a 4 door more convenient. You will also get more car for your money if you go for a saloon.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 17:07
Diesel or petrol??? Depends on your mileage!

I have a E46 coupe and its a little tight for carrying passengers comfortably. Don't get me wrong its still practicle (i.e big enough boot). But i'd def go for a 4 door if I had a kid! As the conv has a smaller boot due to the hood etc.

I'm having to change mines soon as well as its not practicle enough! I fancy a E65 730d or E60 535d next... Must be getting old!!!

I was reading in one of the Bm mags that the 5 series is a great buy now (E60)... And come early next year prices are set to prob come down a lot more, due to the amount of cars coming through from fleet companys into auctions...
E46 328ci now sold :(
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 17:15
Our 2 kids have been through 318iS coup, M3 coup, 520 saloon,535 saloon,320d saloon,328 coup and now the 540 touring.

I prefer coup to saloon with kids....ok so you get in the car with the seat forward to do the seat belt up (whether they get in or are in car seat) but thats sooooooooo much easier than opening rear door then put them in the car then lean over them to fumble with the seatbelt. Especially if, like us, you happen to live on a busy road.

Coups easy with kids.

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 17:31

15k will get you a barge like mine which looks like a boring smelly noisy 520d but can scare M3's!

I didn't pay much over that for my wheels!

333bhp 0-60 in 5.9 secs 450 Nm, limited to 155mph.  Near enough M3 performance but it doesn't stand out like an M model plus you can get kiddie seats in the back after all it is a practical 4 door family saloon!

Don't get a diesel!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 17:34
From the suggestions of Stone-IslandV8 and alym786 it
seems in convertible problem is the small boot space
then 2 doors. However coup is recommended with a kid as
it will have big boot and reason explained by Stone-
IslandV8. Did I miss something?

-Afsar
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 17:36
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

15k will get you a barge like
mine which looks like a boring smelly noisy 520d but can
scare M3's!

I didn't pay much over that for my wheels!

333bhp 0-60 in 5.9 secs 450 Nm, limited to 155mph. 
Near enough M3 performance but it doesn't stand out like
an M model plus you can get kiddie seats in the back
after all it is a practical 4 door family saloon!

Don't get a diesel!

Andrew

More people seems to recommend 5 series saloon. Hmmm
need to give a serious thought.
alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 18:37
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Don't get a diesel!

Have to agree... If you aint doing the mileage get a petrol! I now live in Hamilton... But still work in Edinburgh so my miles are sky high just now... (On the wifes Yaris though )

Have to agree a E60 is a nice sleeper..... More subtle!

E46 328ci now sold :(
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 18:50

I would imagine that used prices of big engined E60's will have fallen thru the floor and will be rock bottom in the new year.  If you can wait two months then go in to a dealer at the end of Jan they will be giving away cars at the end of the month to make their sales figures up for the month.

All you would need to do is find a nice big engined machine.  Other than the two 545i's that I have owned I can only honestly say that I have seen two other 545i's and one was last weekend.  I have seen two E60 550i's but never an E60 540i.

I think the best buy would be a current 530i which has ~270-272bhp which is fairly chuffin' impressive out of a 6 pot 3.0 litre.  The early E60 530i's were not quite as powerful as that, but I've not got a feel for how much a facelift (post Sep 07) E60 530i would be.  It would be more economical than my V8 but only ~60 horses down.  Not too shabby!

If you want economy and a diesel, buy a diesel Ford.  BMW's are for dynamic driving which you just don't get from a smelly, slow, noisey diesel no matter how many turbo charges you bolt on to the engine.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2008 at 18:57

Re reading all the above posts.....  You will need to cart around the enevitable sprog gear which will consist of prams and buggies etc.  Her silly pal, while pregnant, bought a 3 door 316 compact which she cannot get the sprog/sprog seat in and out of very easily nor can she get the pram/buggie in the boot. 

When my wife went on a day out with her and the sprog, my wife was in the back seat next to the sprog in the sprog seat while the buggy was strapped in on the front seat.

I would think that the boot of a 1 series would be somewhat limited due to the drive train and general size of the car.

Get an E60 but make sure it a) isn't a diesel b) has the higher spec ventilation controls c) has leather d) is an auto and e) if you can get comfort seats they are the best seats I've sat on!

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2008 at 16:14
The e46 coups boot space is fine for buggy etc....issues arise when holidaying,luggage etc. Compacts have more restricted access IMO than the coup. Both my lil'uns were in e36 & e46 coups in kiddie seats and were fine.

As I said I only went to the E39 cos of dog therefore more space needed again.

Where the E46 coup does fall down is when the kiddies are older...my 9 yr old in a booster seat started to complain that it was a touch cramped for her....the interior at the back of the coups slopes inwards slightly.

Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 21:07

Originally posted by Stone-IslandV8 Stone-IslandV8 wrote:

Blow the years and the mileage and get an E46 M3 or 330 clubsport.

Or an M5

Good call... just don't buy a cheap one.  Like everything, else buy cheap buy dear, as the saying goes.

Make sure there is good service history your sorted.  My advise if getting an M car get one still under warranty, like mine!  But it's not for sale... have fun searching.  Also if you drive the M3 you will not buy a 330 so be careful which order you test them.

Daz

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 08:13

I think that given the original posters criteria an M car is off the list.

Stop getting over excited guys

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 10:01
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I think that given the
original posters criteria an M car is off the list.

True, having top performing M3/5 saloon will be too much
to have. My baby and wife both won't digest that.

Also my trip to petrol station will be more then
tesco's.

Regards,
Afsar
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 11:01
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I think that given the original posters criteria an M car is off the list.

Gulity as charged.  But it is a car forum we were always unlikely to suggest a Yaris and pocket the difference. 

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic