Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked325i Insurance - Classic Policy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 325i Insurance - Classic Policy?
    Posted: 02-January-2003 at 13:11

I am looking to buy an 86+ 325i and have had trouble finding reasonable insurance quotes.

I have been told that these cars should be able to qualify for a classic policy... can anyone suggest company's that do this?

(I'm 27, in London, secure underground park, <5000 miles per year)

Thanks

Sponsored Links

jhoward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2003 at 14:56

I'm slightly sceptical of these 'classic' policies after trying to get one myself. If you're over 25 and no or few convictions, then with a locked underground car park you should get a reasonable deal from the normal providers. Worth considering is that these cars are now at most worth £2-3k (well that's what the market values them at, I'd sooner have one than a £14 MINI any day!) so you probably don't need Fully Comp. Just get 3rd party fire and theft and value the car at it's realistic market value. Opt for a high excess and get the policy with legal protection and drive fairly carefully- you should be ok. Companies to try are Privilege and Elephant.co.uk. These are the best normal providers. Otherwise try a broker.

Hope this helps.

Word of advice, on ANY E30 six cylinder check that the manifold is not blowing due to snapped studs etc. and that the valve guide seals aren't knackered. Most cars over 65k will invariably have this, it's a £500 job to repair...excess blue smoke will indicate the latter, chugging which disappears once the engine is warm will indicate the former. Worth getting your mechanic/RAC/AA to look. Also check differential, steering rack, clutch....

jhoward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2003 at 15:00

Oh and for your interest (and as I'm bored at present at work) premiums tend to be higher in general these days as there is less underwriting capacity in the market following 9/11...

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2003 at 16:08

this might work - www.confused.com do insurance quotes but I'm not sure of ltd mileage jobbies, you put a load of detail in and they do the surfing bit for you, can't be bad, saved me 300 notes this year already.

Also, don't go to Adrian Flux (disorganised bunch) but someone like Egger Lawson (they do my ltd mileage cat 7 insurance through the 7 club) might work as I know they do the club thing, ltd mileage, agreed values and even track cover if you ask them nicely...

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2003 at 22:39
Out of curiosity, what sort of quotes have people had for 325i's?

Retro is the way forward.....
Adam Garside View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2003 at 09:31

I Pay £960 per year, Third Party Fire & Theft on a 1988 325i.

SteveJ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2003 at 10:52

I've used the heritage car insurance as avertised in the car club mag, It saved me approx £100.

E30 M3, 5000 mls limit, green card included, breakdown included, track day ins included.

Drawbacks are no NCD, can't drive other cars.

Jonathan Cox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2003 at 22:48
Probably a bit late now, as I've only joined the forum, but I have an H reg  318iS and I insure it through Peter Best Classic Car Insurance on a limited milage of 5000 pa, garenteed value of £3000 and that costs me £300pa.  Which I think is fantastic.  When I phoned 'normal' insurers, I was getting quotes of around £800+, and that's with 4 years no claims...!
Jonathan, Manchester.
jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2003 at 08:29

Okay so it's not a 325i but my e30 m3 is £612 per year fully comp with protected no claims, £350 xs and doesn't need to be garaged, from www.elephant.co.uk 

I was very pleasantly suprised, maybe being 30 all of a sudden helped a little...

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2003 at 18:55
I paid £655 fully comp unlimited mileage, with suspension mods and an air filter through Liverpool Victoria for an '89 325i touring but that was because I'm a member of the CSMA

Retro is the way forward.....
naylor04uk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 11:25
I'm 32yrs old no convitions 4yrs no claims and i'm paying £463  3rd party, on my beloved 89' E30 325i sports, i'm telling the brokers about my mods when i go fully comp in March, K&n induction kit and a scorpion dtm exhaust half system. Ive had quotes for £800 + and thats without the mods.   :o)
Matt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2003 at 16:59

Thanks for all the posts...

Now proud owner of an 86 325i Sport, and have a classic car policy as follows -

Fully comp UK+Europe, restricted miles (6000yr), agreed value £3300, excess £100 for a premium of £400.

Matt

ajbm325ic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2003 at 08:42

I have recently insured a 1991 325ic convertible ltd motorsport for £503 fully comp, no claims prot, £150 excess 5k ltd annual mileage.

Also 1991 325i sport for £491, fully comp. no mileage limit, no claims prot, £150 excess. Both with Tesco.

I am 33yrs with max no claims bonus and was originally getting quotes for well excess of £1000+ for the convert and £500+ for the sport. I explained that the convert was fully loaded and restored and would expect a good price if anything happened (god forbid). They said that they would give a good price with a genuine independent valuation including photos. Seemed very good to me.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic