Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW LayerON

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW LayerON
    Posted: 15-December-2008 at 22:20
The BMW LayerON is a design study of a futuristic rental vehicle which can be customized in shape by means of electrically controlled outer panels. It was created by Turin IED students Aydar Nigmatullin, Patrick De Laet Moreno and Rocco Sergio D'Argento (Italy).

BMW LayerON Design PanelThe BMW LayerON Concept was created by Aydar Nigmatullin (Russia), Patrick De Laet Moreno (Spain) and Rocco Sergio D'Argento (Italy) for their final thesis at Turin-based IED - Istituto Europeo di Design.

The project was sponsored by BMW with the goal of creating a car for 2015 interpreting the language evolution and the brand's philosophy.

The project - named BMW LayerOn - was developed in two main steps.

In the first exploratory stage, the students imagined the future world and society.

"We noticed that the world 'goes virtual' : people buy less and rent more. The post-industrial society is characterized by the vast use of services and, respectively, decreased purchase of goods."

"We imagined that future generations will go further following this trend. And they would like to have a rental car when they need it rather than to buy one."

Another trend taken into consideration was the need for personalization.

"Everybody want to have a car that reflects one's personality, a car that is fully customizable. And this was our challenge: to make a car for rent, but still personal."

The second step was to develop a vehicle for the above scenario. The LayerON has a skeleton-like structure on which the covering panels create a sort of outer skin.

The front panels have a sandwich structure: the plastic material outside is combined with an internal layer which is electrically controlled and can can contract and dilate, thus changing the overall shape of the vehicle.

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2008/12/11-bmw-layeron- concept/
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic