Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBlue Tooth query

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Tooth query
    Posted: 20-December-2008 at 17:29

A while ago whilst I was test driving an E46 Coupe the salesman mentioned that as the car was "Blue Tooth" prepared it was an easy job to link any Blue Tooth enabled phone to the steering wheel controls.

I did not actually buy that Coupe but bought another one (2002, 330i )from a different dealer. My car has the steering wheel controls for a mobile phone but no other apparent fittings. Will my Blue Tooth Nokia link to the car? If so How do I do it? If not what do I need to get to make it work?

Merry Christmas!

Martini

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 18:45

If your car is blue tooth prep'd there may be a specific handbook in with the cars manual and service book.  My first E60 was blue tooth prep but contained no paper work when I had the car.  My second E60 is also blue tooth and it contained a specific handbook (which I can't find at the moment) which tells you how to connect a blue tooth phone to blue tooth prep'd cars inc E46, E39 and E60 models

The E60 is straight forward using the iDrive.

I'll have a hunt for the book.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 18:59

...found it

My book is for a Nokia 6230i but the jist will be the same.

In the car hold down the button that has the symbol which shows sound waves coming out from a persons mouth at the same time turn ignition key to pos 1.

Release the above button after holding it for 3 secs.  You should now get the message "BT-PAIRING" appearing on the car radio screen or "BLUETOOTH PARING" in the on board monitor.

Use the mobile phone to get to the connectivity menu and to then search for bluetooth devices etc.  Once the mobile detects the car you will be asked to enter a 4 digit number using the phone keypad usually 0000.  Most steps will be followed by pressing the phones enter or menu button.  If successfully paired you will see the message "PAIRED WITH BMW 12345" where "12345" are the last 5 digits of your chassis number.

I would think a BMW dealer would be able to help you.  Having the phone buttons on the steering wheel doesn't mean it has bluetooth kit in it.  Again a BMW dealer on giving them your chassis number will be able to tell you if it has bluetooth prep.

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2008 at 17:31

As above but with my E39, I have a specific code that must be entered which belongs to the car, it is in the handbook, or in the original car phone instructiuons IIRC. You should find a card with something like "BMW pass key" on it, with a 4 digit code, this is what you need to pair your phone to the car.

Once done, you have to switch the ignition off then on again, & then it all should work. You can also get phone specific all in one holders & chargers from the dealers too.

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2008 at 19:48
Is the pass code the usual bluetooth pairing pass code which can be any 4 digit code that is input on both the phone and the car?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2008 at 17:31
Not on mines, I had to enter the pass code that came with the car.
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

martini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2008 at 09:52

Thanks for the replies Guys. This will give me something to try over the Christmas period!

Merry Christmas

Martini

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2008 at 20:29
One thing to remember is that all bmw sport steering wheels will have the phone answer buttons on the steering wheel, but this does not mean it has blootooth capabilities!! this maybe your isue. Best to get a spec print out from the dealer, then you will know for sure....
Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2008 at 07:22
It'll be in the instructions, along with the 4 digit code.
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

rebel.ranter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel.ranter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 23:14
Hi, your car most likely does not have bluetooth fitted. Good news though you can retro fit it for about €140 (do a bit of EBay, etc. searching or look below for slightly option).

You need to buy a Parrot CK3000 bluetooth kit. There is an interface kit that will allow you to use the existing steering wheel buttons.

Look here for the interface kit and the kit itself:

Kit:
http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk/files/details.php?id=6

Interface:
http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk/file/prod_sub_cat.php?cat_id=5 0&sid=6

The installation is straight forward enough and can be made even easier with one of these leads:
http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk/files/prod_sub_cat.php?cat_id= 49&sid=5

Full kit installed (if you're lazy/all thumbs):
http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk/files/details.php?id=219

Edited by rebel.ranter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic