Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW X5M Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW X5M Trailer
    Posted: 29-December-2008 at 23:58

BMW have released a promotional video of the X5 M providing official confirmation of the next models to be launched by M GmbH.

We’ve already seen spy-pictures of a pre-production X6 M and German magazine AutoBild were invited last week to drive the X6 M at the Nurburgring, so production isn’t far away.

People who have witnessed the X6 M being driven talk of a much higher pitched exhaust note than the twin-turbo V8 4.4 litre engine X6 50i, sounding more V10 than V8, but this is likely to be as a result of fine tuning by BMW’s M Division and all expectations suggest that the X5 M/X6 M will feature a highly developed version of the TT V8 4.4 litre engine.

BMW describe this new engine as the “the most powerful series engine they have ever produced”, which lends credence to the figures of 550bhp that are currently circulating the main internet forums. Nevertheless this will be a controversial new type of car for BMW’s M Division, especially since the E92 M3 CSL was rumoured to have been dropped to make way for these high-performance SUVs.

BMW’s XDrive system has been enhanced together with Dynamic Performance Control (DPC) as first introduced in the X6, which is built around a revolutionary type of multi-clutch differential that transfers more drive to a loaded outside wheel, but rather than locking the inside wheel it feeds it with just enough drive to makes a positive contribution to powering the car around the corner. In practice this is an amazing piece of technology, virtually eliminating understeer and providing the agility of a much smaller car. In the X6 M the XDrive/DPC systems have been tuned to bias more of the available power to the rear wheels, only diverting power to the front wheels when necessary.
Both will also be available with M-Dynamic Mode which includes adjustable dampers and roll-bars with a more sporting setup than current X5/X6 models, although no word yet if M-Division will follow their usual pattern of ditching the standard run-flat tyres. Brakes on the X6 are already very effective but BMW have chosen to fit these M-models with 19" front discs clamped by 6-piston calipers, so stopping should not be an issue despite the higher speeds achievable.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic