Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > East Anglia Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVery Quiet...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 13:28
Kevin

I appreciate your comments but the forum should not be a place for complaining about what people do or do not do, but a constructive media for moving things forward

My only comment in all this is that for the best part of 14 years running the region we put on up to 12 events per year and met monthly in Bury St Edmunds and later near Diss at the Oaksmere/Corwallis Arms on the first or third week of each month. In addition we held annual AGM's so that new members could met us and let have their ideas for the regional events

I regret that no one bar the usual 12 or so stalwarts who support our events ever turned up to these pub meets whch encompassed both the opportunity to have a chat and a meal/drink with fellow enthusiasts and also plan events and determine the region's direction

Since the people that supported our events over the years wanted days out, touring weekends, social meetings over lunch and visits to interesting places (eg stately homes)    we responded to these people and ran these events very successfully.

We sent out quarterly newsletters to over 300 members complete with full costings and booking forms, maps accommodation etc to make it as easy for people to respond and book for events. Unfortunately 90% of the regional members just seem to want a magazine!

The trouble is with Pub meets people look out the window and if its wet, dark or the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, think. Oh! I can't be bothered and the poor bugger who has arranged it travels 60 miles to drink a coke on his own a lot of the time !

If you and James can help rejuvinate the "regular meetings" event and suggest a venue then i am sure that there will be many who will join in. Unfortunately i do not have the time to organise all this any longer

Likewise it is very important that members help contribute to the magazine with ANY form of story photo or snippet about their interests. Otherwise all I can do is to write up my own events and place articles in which I think people may be interested in. (ie the people who went to them) As, in the past 10 years, I have NEVER received a single bit of information to go into the Club magazine from anyone not either at an event or on the committee , you will appreciate why things may appear slightly one sided from newcomers point of view. How can we write about something we have no knowledge of ?

The region has often been accused of been "cliquey" and snobbish and not welcoming to new members .However it is up to new members to make themselves known to us. We all have telephones and some of us have e-mail addresses which are in the mag. We really are keen to meet new members but we are unfortunately not clairvoyant or telepathic! so if they don't tell us what they want we can't accommodate their requirements.

EAR regularly still runs the best Better Driving day in the UK and ran almost monthly events for the past 5 years so it is a bit galling to keep hearing the complain about nothing ever happens in East Anglia.... It did! you just weren't there or didn't want to do what we did! Or maybe you weren't a member then ?

Just so you know East Anglia were one of the first Regions to be "active"
Started Better Driving days long before the national new what they were and held Night Navigation Scatter rally's and all sorts of groovy events..... We even managed to get 50 + cars at a concours.... are well times evidently move on.

I for one will be happy to offer any support to any member who takes the iniative to DO something other than just moan about what isn't being done so      "go to it my son"....... may the force of EAR be with you!

PS mines also the 160mph 'shopping trolley" you may see flashing past your M3 occasionally! The only proper grand tourer BMW made!

Edited by Webdunk
Sponsored Links

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 13:53
There's an interesting point in there about communication / perception. It's one the Scottish committee have wrestled with (and, I suspect, will continue to wrestle with)

We're very active online when it comes to sorting many of our activities and for a time our presence in the mag didn't really reflect how much we were getting up to. We think we've sorted that now with one of our number regularly submitting content to the mag.

We are however also aware that there are upwards of 150 members we've neither heard from nor met in our area we'd love to get them involved but don't really know how.

Some regions / registers are the other way around - loads of mentions / communication among the stalwarts (I think every region has a core of regular attendees) and in the mag but nothing online.

There is also the fact that many forum users are not BMWCC members and so do not get the mag - that can easily lead to the conclusion that nothing is going on.

PS bmwear - I edited your post to put in a bit of spacing - I was having trouble reading it in 1 block
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 14:50
I agree with Webdunk.

The Irish section have a couple of Hundred members as well. When orgainsing meets its always the same 5/6 that turn up.

One suggesttion I put forward was to get a the Irish section members list from head ofice and contact people accordingly as we werent reaching everyone.

But apparently head office wont make available the list. They will send out labels with members addresses but thats not exactly workable.

I think to help better promote the club and meetings (for whatever region or section) it would be great if head office could make available a member list for each region.

If I am incorrect or have been mis-informed about any of my points above I apologise.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 16:02
Yup, regional member lists would be cool. Specially in electronic format to help with mail merges and the like.

AIUI we should be OK from the Data Protection point of view as folk have joined the club and willingly given their contact details for Club related use. As long as we are clear when taking information in that we may use it to contact members AND give members the chance to opt out of communications then we are OK.
jonp View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 16:50

Hello Guys,

Firstly, I would like to thank all who is involved with this forum. I have found it an excellent tool in contacting like minded enthusiasts. I have a little knowledge in cars and helping enthusiasts is very rewarding.

Secondly, although I am based in East Sussex. My parents are based in Norfolk: when i visit them i like things to do so.....

I used to belong to another owners club for another type of car. I joined the club one year and the second i didn't bother. I am going to join you guys because you all seem really nice blokes.

Here it comes BUT..... We are all either on this forum to help or just to talk.It does look kind of bad on the club if members and organisers are arguing.

I'm not being judgemental at all and once again thank you to every body who helps.

Laters

jonp

Autos are easy. Its the steering thats hard.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 18:57

Howard , Mike , Duncan and ALL the DO-ers of this Club say it, Like it is!!. If 5%-7% of each regions members, turn up to an event, THEY said THEY wanted, its a good turnout!!!.This Forum is a Club Thought, Organised,  and Paid for happening, so that BMW fans can learn-communicate-and enjoy what they wish to take part in.The Members who participate in the events organised, are the winners.THEY-are the reason why, Duncan, Mike, Howard spend part of their Life , working for US.SO!!!!, click disconnect-shut down-and GO. A good Racing term is "When the Flag drops-The Bullsh-t stops"lets hope it will be the same on this theme.If the same energy was put in to attending club event,s YOU are all Winners!!

SafetyFast

Philrose View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 19:53
Nearly as quiet as Central Region!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 09:41
If its any help or consolation then 3 months ago I decided, independant of the Central Region or the Club, to try and get regular pub meets sorted.

Our 1st meet in Milton Keynes had 20 people saying they'd go-it was a blisteringly hot day and we got a total of 2 people turn up.

Now we (for a laugh) decided to make this a once a month do at the same place to see if there was any interest. "nd meet had the 2 of us again + families (made it look more of a crowd!!!!! ). The third was 2 again then the 4th kicked in-approx 7-8 people and 4 BMs. We had another meet yesterday and got 4 cars and 5 people with Ratbark travelling up from Aylesbury on two of those occasions.

Things start small but can be pushed/pulled in the right direction if there's the interest.

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 10:07
If the email list cannot be used why not just make sure that any pub meets being organised are posted on the forum.

I don't know about other buy I occasionally viewed the EAR forum but haven't posted questions etc because I didn't think many were watching As I have an M3 I use the M forum the most which is very active.

Let's see if data protection rules can be sorted out.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 11:40
Originally posted by M3Nally M3Nally wrote:

If the email list cannot be used why not just make sure that any pub meets being organised are posted on the forum.

Kevin

The only problem there is that not all members use the forum/are not aware of it/do not have internet access.

We really do need list from head office.
jamesrose View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 14:14

I didn't mean to start a war of words here...

Just a point, but could we not have a section in the magazine advertising the website and the forum ? I'm sure that the majority of people do have internet access, and would be keen to use the site for advice / meets. Im not being funny, but a lot of the members of the club probably dont know what a forum is let alone the benefits it can bring.

I will be willing to write something for the East Anglia region if required.

Thanks

James

Edited by jamesrose

1990 E30 M3
www.m3bmw.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic