Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone use an M3 E30 as every day car ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cjhe30m3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone use an M3 E30 as every day car ?
    Posted: 07-December-2003 at 14:33
drive mine evry day i also have a 323 ci  the only thing i do when driving the m3 is to forget to put the hand brake on !!!  apart from that its mint
Sponsored Links

pottsy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2003 at 03:51
IMHO - Millteck is the piece of kit to have today. Its cheap, quiet (particularly compared to awful scorpion noise I have on mine) and well matched power wise. Only outstanding question is longevity and noise as it gets older - seems a tiny risk to me given the price and other benefits.

Sean, Im often in Hove so may post before my next trip.

Alternatively zip up the A23 and M25 to Bexleyheath and hang out at Bexleys - there will always be someone to show you one (I think the Nige and Jags have permanent tenants there - boys you know I mean you...)

Finally mine is for sale although rather track orientated - if you wanted to use it everyday you would need to swap exhaust for a milltek (or I could throw in a very quiet exhaust but it strangles the power somewhat).
PM me if you are interested (or check out the 'for sale' button above)
smckeown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 22:05

Anyone near brighton kind enough to let me drive their M3 then ?

Sean

PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 21:59
Originally posted by falkster falkster wrote:

Originally posted by PJSM3 PJSM3 wrote:

Originally posted by bmwear bmwear wrote:

P.S
Don't bother with the expense of all these fancy exhausts, the performance gain is minimal The one thing Schnitzer and the touring car temas in the UK never bothered changing was the exhaust..... ask yourself why before you spend hundreds on a noisy SS jobby! Mines a standard "215BHP" unleaded version and with a good tune on a Rolling road it's getting 225 BHP and 195 BHP at the wheels plus its super smooth through the gears now....

I reckon a good number of people on this forum would love to replace their exhaust with a standard original BMW replacement but frankly the price is just too high - probably around twice the price of a Milltek stainless steel system.

Why would they want to swap for a standard system. Miltek gives more power and doesnt sound any louder IMO

Falkster, I was referring to those people who have a rusty system needing a replacement,.
falkster View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 21:19
Originally posted by PJSM3 PJSM3 wrote:

P.S
Don't bother with the expense of all these fancy exhausts, the performance gain is minimal The one thing Schnitzer and the touring car temas in the UK never bothered changing was the exhaust..... ask yourself why before you spend hundreds on a noisy SS jobby! Mines a standard "215BHP" unleaded version and with a good tune on a Rolling road it's getting 225 BHP and 195 BHP at the wheels plus its super smooth through the gears now....

I reckon a good number of people on this forum would love to replace their exhaust with a standard original BMW replacement but frankly the price is just too high - probably around twice the price of a Milltek stainless steel system.

Why would they want to swap for a standard system. Miltek gives more power and doesnt sound any louder IMO

Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 21:02

P.S

Ratbark View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 20:20

P.S

I can assure you that the Prodrive/BMW Finance team of the late 80's/early 90's DID change the exhaust, as I had the fortunate experience of spending some time with them.
That, and a whole host of other goodies, made my eyes pop out way back then! God how I would love to get my hands on that stuff now!!

Mark.
'89 E30 M3, '89 325i Touring(red), '89 325i Touring(silver), '99 Suzuki TL1000R, '65 VW Splitty SO42
falkster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 20:11
I have just bought and fitted my new miltek system. I bought it as most people on the forum, who have one, said it was the best for the car and gets the best improvements in bhp so Im not sure if the statement can be 100% true
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:59

P.S
Don't bother with the expense of all these fancy exhausts, the performance gain is minimal The one thing Schnitzer and the touring car temas in the UK never bothered changing was the exhaust..... ask yourself why before you spend hundreds on a noisy SS jobby! .

Are you 100% certain with this statement??

I don't think I can believe this. Most Group N & Group A cars may have ran a BMW exhaust but I can't beleive they were the same exhausts as on standard out of the factory road cars..

I think the main reasin why people change to after market exhausts is due a number of reasons:-

1.A lot of cars have had the exhausts changed by previous owners (most E30 M3's are 10 years old or older)
2.A replacement BMW exhaust is just too expensive.
3.If you buy the right after market exhaust they are not loud.

Andy.

Edited by Andy OH
falkster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:53
Originally posted by smckeown smckeown wrote:

thanks guys, ive driven many a sporty car and hun aroud many a forum and this one seems to be rather friendly

I'm looking at a car in essex next week sometime, and i work at heathrow during the mid week and at home nr brighton the rest of the time. 

Would appreciate buying advise, and i'll have a browse through the forum for such tips

i'll have the car looked at by AA or RAC, or does anyone know more and like to earn some cash ?

cheers

sean

Grant W has one for sale. If you PM him he will give you details and Im sure he would take you for a spin and scare you sh**less. He did me

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
smckeown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:42

thanks guys, ive driven many a sporty car and hun aroud many a forum and this one seems to be rather friendly

I'm looking at a car in essex next week sometime, and i work at heathrow during the mid week and at home nr brighton the rest of the time. 

Would appreciate buying advise, and i'll have a browse through the forum for such tips

i'll have the car looked at by AA or RAC, or does anyone know more and like to earn some cash ?

cheers

sean

kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:39

The part no (from the dealer invoice) is 11.31.1.405.081 - list is £59.15 + VAT less any discount you can get (varies by dealer) Then there is the fitting. There is a washer as well, IIRC, but that is minor cost. I have lost the links to sites but a good search engine should help.

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
bmwear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:39
P.S
bmwear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:34
I use mine regularly no problem.... and if you get a good one it's an appreciating asset

plus Classic Car Insurance and the best drivers car by BMW by NONE

If you want a good one speak to Waddo on 01553 810467   If there is something he doesn't know about E30 M3's it ain't worth knowing
JC , e30 m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:31
Kevin, any idea what sort of money that mod would be? I suppose it makes sense to have it done if you are having any engine work carried out...
jamie

jamie@carlin.co.uk
www.carlin.co.uk

89 Europameister
78 911 SC
93 MK1 MX-5
98 Ford Focus
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:28

I had the E36 mod and it really works at startup but don't expect to be totally quiet until the oil pressure pushes it really hard.

Mine had a Scorpion exhaust but it was too loud for me so I now have a Milltek which is fine for my old ears.

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
JC , e30 m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:15
I use mine every day and it's great! Main problem I have is waiting for the engine to warm up and oil presssure to reach high enough to quieten down the bucket of spanners that lives under the bonnet.. I think there's a mod you can do whereby you replace the timing chain tensioner with that of a later model (E36 or E46? help me here guys!) this replacement doesn't need time to build pressure up.
I make sure the girlfriend is with me if I need to go through a ticket barrier and she has now got the hang of leaning out the door and getting the tickets (passenger elec window not working at the mo...)
Lhd is also a great advantage if you plan to drive in Europe ie. to Le Mans or the Nurgurgring..

Sean, if you are in the Guildford or Southampton area, I'd be happy to give you a run in mine... As long as you don't want to open the window!!
jamie

jamie@carlin.co.uk
www.carlin.co.uk

89 Europameister
78 911 SC
93 MK1 MX-5
98 Ford Focus
falkster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 18:16
Originally posted by smckeown smckeown wrote:

Am tempted by one of these, especially a BIRDS RHD conversion.  Have owned the E36 M3 EVO and othe performance cars in the past, and have always thought this car is just sex on wheels...

Would like to know how people get on as their every day drive

Sean

Where abouts in the country are you? I bet we have most of the country covered for maybe taking you out in one of ours.

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 18:13
The LHD thing..
Crap on country lanes at harvest time.. but thats about it.
Good visibility when merging with motorway traffic.
Good when you want to post letters or get out onto the pavement.
Good when you want to reverse round macdonalds to get your drivethrough.. and see the next guy panic because he thinks he has entered the exit.
Good when you want to talk to the guy in the next car in the traffic queue.
Good when you see other drivers think your kid is driving.
Infact.. Good, full stop.
Nick.
Ps.. you WILL get in at the wrong side after you have filled up the first few times.. just pretend you want something out of the glovebox!!
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 17:58
Sean,

The level of noise from the car depends upon many factors, exhaust, induction noise, sound deadening, carpets. Many after market exhausts can be very loud, it depends on what is on the car or what you put on the car, Scorpion exhausts are fairly loud but my Miltek is a lot quieter and gives good gains.

The boot aperture may be a bit small due to the rake of the rear screen which is like that to aid aerodynamics, but the size of the boot is as big as most other cars, unless like me you have a rear strut brace in the boot which reduces the overall space.

The hardness of suspension again depends on what is on the car, the standard BMW suspension is good on road and very complient. A set of Bilsein dampers and H&R springs is a little harder but transforms the car for road use and mild track use. I use two way adjustable coil over Leda suspension all round with 600lb front springs and 450lb rear springs but with the damping turned down for road use, this set up is fairly hard but surprisingly complient.(I use my car mainly for track use, thats why it has Leda on it).

When buying an E30 M3 look long and hard as there are a lot of dogs out there. It took me 6 months to find my Sport and believe me I saw a lot of bad cars while looking.

If you have found an EVO 2 use a fine tooth combe to go over it as you do not want to buy a polished up dog.

Good luck,

Andy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic