Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone use an M3 E30 as every day car ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone use an M3 E30 as every day car ?
    Posted: 03-December-2003 at 11:43

Am tempted by one of these, especially a BIRDS RHD conversion.  Have owned the E36 M3 EVO and othe performance cars in the past, and have always thought this car is just sex on wheels...

Would like to know how people get on as their every day drive

Sean

Sponsored Links

Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 12:09
Don't touch a RHD with a barge pole... if you don't want to drive a LHD on a daily basis then this isn't the car for you.

Driving LHD cars in the UK is no big deal though, I thought it would bother me but it doesn't at all
www.houlbrook.com
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 12:18
RHD ooo er!! Don't go there my friend however good the Bird's conversion is. You just don't buy a RHD E30 M3.

If it is the LHD thing, don't worry you adjust very quickly. After having had 4 LHD cars 2 Integrales and 2 E30 M3's I actually prefer LHD, it is easy to adjust form RHD to LHD and vice versa . I have no problem jumping from my car to my wifes car (330 Sport Conv).

A RHD E30 M3 is definately not the way to go. The steering rack is slower as I think an E30 325i rack is used and the exhaust manifold has to be re fabricated to house the steering rack which apparently looses a fair amount of power.

At the end of the day it is your choice, but go and drive a couple of proper E30 M3's i.e. LHD and make your decision after drivng them.

Andy.

Edited by Andy OH
e30m3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 12:37
I've used mine every day for the last year and it's great easy to drive. Worst thing is following the 30mph club in rush hour tends to really P**s me off as i dive some great A roads home and late a night can end up far to close to triple figures through the corners were as at 5 O'clock find myself following some people stamping on the brakes every time they see a corner.
robmug View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 12:58

Yep - first year I had mine it was my daily driver. No problems at all. Faultlessly reliable, easy to get used to LHD.

I think they're better for regular, even daily, use.

Go for it!

www.advancedcarproducts.com - UK Zaino distributors
5% discount for BMW Forum members
1996 E36 318is (one owner!) // 1993 911 Carrera 2 Coupe
1987 E30 M3 (sold) // 1997 E36 M3 Evo (sold)
dom_k View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 12:59
i use mine everyday to drive to and from work. this is about 20 miles each way and its fine. very reliable and starts every morning! i was sceptical of lhd at first but ive wanted 1 since i 1st saw one driving on the road. ive only bin driving 3yrs n a few months and had the m3 for 10 months now. i got used to it very quickly and as people say lhd isnt a problem - infact id say the gearbox pattern takes more getting used to! you may test drive a lhd and not get on with it but dont let that put you off! buy one and drive it for a few days and it will become natural!
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 12:59
I adjusted very quickly to LHD after buying mine back at the end of October. It took a bit longer to get used to the dogleg box. Now I am fine jumping between the M5 and M3.

I agree with E30M3 that rush hours are so very frustrating as the car is so, so capable on the twisty stuff.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
SteveJ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 13:07
The main two things to be aware of when first driving a LHD are, visibility is poor when looking right while pulling out of a junction, and going round roundabouts you tend to get a bit close to the center curb sometimes.
OH and don't forget getting the ticket at a carpark barrier is a bit of a pain.
Steve

87 E30 M3

94 E34 530 Touring
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 13:07
Yup concur with all the above. I can swap between my m3 and tourer no problem, in fact I prefer lhd it just feels more "right". Certainly wouldn't think twice about buying any lhd cars in the future.
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 13:21
Just remember to walk up to the correct drivers door......it sounds so obvious but I did this a few times and felt like a right pr*t. Luckly no one was around
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 13:27
I use my 88 Evo2 on an almost daily basis. I echo most of the sentiment on here.

You will adjust to LHD

You will get used to and love using the gearbox, especially if you get rid of the standard knob.

Turning right out of a junction you do have to be more careful. If my wife is in the car she has a look or gets out of the way!

I think LHD makes you safer because you dont have such good/easy overtaking visability you don't take any risks.

Buy one and use it, you won't regret it,, unless you get an old nail that costs you loads of course
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 13:50
Again I concur with everyone here. Although I bought it just to drive at weekends, I just cant seem to get out of the car.

I drive 30 miles round trip everyday and love it!
m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 14:17

Everybody else has said it, I'll just confirm it.  LHD is no big deal, it took longer to get used to the dogleg box, but now 4 months on, it's second nature.  I bought it intending to use it at weekends and summer only, but while I don't use it every day, I'm always looking for an excuse to take it out for a blast.

smckeown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 14:24
thanks guys, the more i think of it, the more i want one.  So what does a nice Evo2 go for then, im thinking if i get one, might as well go for something different.
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 14:52
Oh God Mr McKeown, "what does a nice evo2 go for", you will open a can of worms with that one.

Classic cars had a buyers guide for the sport evo july 2003 edition which included price guides for all E30 M3s

£5000 to £8500 well used evo2, cecotto/revaglia
£8500 to £12000 most convertibles and very good M3/Evo1, average to good evo11/cecotto/revaglia
£12000 to £15000 most sport evos, outstanding evo2. cecotto/revaglia
£15000 plus very good sport evo
es for

I have a Nogaro Evo2 and I agree with the above. Some people think they are not worth much more than a standard M3, so £6500 plus. Personally I think they are better and worth up to £12,500 for a great low miler minter one.

You should be prepared to travel to find one. Some people take literally years to find one, I say they can't have been looking hard or seriously.

Cecottos are nice if you like a bit of leather, as are Euromeister (less power). Get a colour you like cos evo2 only came in misano red, nogaro silver and macao blue (looks great in the sun). If you want black or white tough luck.

Happy hunting. There are quite a few people looking now for these so if you see a good one and have the money, buy it. You won't regret it.
David 87M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 15:00
Originally posted by SteveJ SteveJ wrote:

The main two things to be aware of when first driving a LHD are, visibility is poor when looking right while pulling out of a junction, and going round roundabouts you tend to get a bit close to the center curb sometimes.
OH and don't forget getting the ticket at a carpark barrier is a bit of a pain.
Macdonalds drive thru is a pain.
I used mive everyday for about 6 months. I gave up, the boot was to small and the car was to noisy.
I love my M3 as a fun car
smckeown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 17:29

so how noisy and hard are they ?

I uprated the suspension on my scooby last year, just with eibachs and was great for the track, but too hard for the road, really pissed me orf!

You have convinced me to stay LHD, and am seriously looking at an EVO2, might buy the weekend!

Sean

David 87M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 17:32
Mine is not a good example as it has a scorpion zorst pipe. There are better zorsts now but havn't got one yet.
I guess you should take one for a drive and see how you get on
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 17:58
Sean,

The level of noise from the car depends upon many factors, exhaust, induction noise, sound deadening, carpets. Many after market exhausts can be very loud, it depends on what is on the car or what you put on the car, Scorpion exhausts are fairly loud but my Miltek is a lot quieter and gives good gains.

The boot aperture may be a bit small due to the rake of the rear screen which is like that to aid aerodynamics, but the size of the boot is as big as most other cars, unless like me you have a rear strut brace in the boot which reduces the overall space.

The hardness of suspension again depends on what is on the car, the standard BMW suspension is good on road and very complient. A set of Bilsein dampers and H&R springs is a little harder but transforms the car for road use and mild track use. I use two way adjustable coil over Leda suspension all round with 600lb front springs and 450lb rear springs but with the damping turned down for road use, this set up is fairly hard but surprisingly complient.(I use my car mainly for track use, thats why it has Leda on it).

When buying an E30 M3 look long and hard as there are a lot of dogs out there. It took me 6 months to find my Sport and believe me I saw a lot of bad cars while looking.

If you have found an EVO 2 use a fine tooth combe to go over it as you do not want to buy a polished up dog.

Good luck,

Andy.

Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 18:13
The LHD thing..
Crap on country lanes at harvest time.. but thats about it.
Good visibility when merging with motorway traffic.
Good when you want to post letters or get out onto the pavement.
Good when you want to reverse round macdonalds to get your drivethrough.. and see the next guy panic because he thinks he has entered the exit.
Good when you want to talk to the guy in the next car in the traffic queue.
Good when you see other drivers think your kid is driving.
Infact.. Good, full stop.
Nick.
Ps.. you WILL get in at the wrong side after you have filled up the first few times.. just pretend you want something out of the glovebox!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic