FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe Last Meander - by a mourner -

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Last Meander - by a mourner -
    Posted: 03-December-2003 at 17:52
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: The passsing of the Midlands Midweek Meander ..... Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

or 'Get Lost with Phil & Marise' as it's latterly become known.

Well with the inevitable passage of time, last night's event saw the MMM drift off into the clear winter night, never to be seen again Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

A good turnout (thought Phil & Marise's daughter must count as a 'ringer') saw a new Tango'd mobile flame thrower join the Red Z's, Garry's (inevitably bent again) Porker and my E36 328.

The mood was somber, though strangely I was the only one wearing a respectful business suit, as we drove slowly behind Phil, who walked us to the end of Damon Hill's driveway in traditional style.

The cortege moved solemnly out of Royal Leamington Spa at a walking pace, avoiding all those nasty puddles and leaf debris that is such a nightmare for the dedicated concoursers into the depth's of the Warwickshire countryside.

Even the wildlife respected the gravity of the evening, not trying to commit Hari Kiri on Phil's car.

When we arrived in Stratford Upon Avon there was a magical display of twinkly lights and the streets were eerily quiet - until Mark arrived in the 'Tango Toaster', somehow representing the hope of the passage of the Meander into a brighter new future of motoring 'heaven', full of C class Merc's and Rover 75's!

Several Twisted Evil laps later (with a growing number of people taking notice - Phil, you're such a poser) we slipped almost silently out into the black abyss once more, with Mark shattering windows and setting off car alarms Rolling Eyes

It was at this point that the pressure started to tell, sticking to 40 down nice twisty country roads that were unusually quiet proved too much and a number of 'bungeee jumps' (seems the right expression) were had as we (in the mid order) approaced each Z bend sign.

The Meander drew it's last breath in Warwick, though like James Cagney, it seemed to take for ever to die (couldn't find anywhere to park) and the assembled mourners filtered into Mrs Miggins pie shop.

Huge thanks to P&R for all the effort put in over the years.

MMM, I'll miss you Crying or Very sad Goodbye Exclamation

Your taking up too much space!
Sponsored Links

Philrose View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 18:14

So there you have it. The Meanders are dead and it came as no surprise to see no other car club members present.

Stu who wrote the epitaph above had been on business near Luton, did the Meander and then drove home to Humberside. Now thats what I call keen.

I intend to arrange some Sunday Cruises in 2004.

One in the Cotswolds,  one in the Peak District, one in Shropshire and the last maybe around Rutland Water.

I'll keep you posted. 

dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 02:20

that sucks..... dammit i wish i had been there....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic