Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSuspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension
    Posted: 03-December-2003 at 18:24

Just fitted a set of Eibach springs recently with 25mm drop and have decided to now replace the shocks (I know, it would have been cheaper to do both at the same time, oops!!) It has been mentioned that Bilsteins are the preferred fit but would like other opinions please, If I fit Bilsteins I was also considering fitting the "Sprints" but I'm not sure just how firm a ride it will give compared to the normal Bilsteins.

Any advice will be helpful, cheers

Sponsored Links

silverbmw528 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 19:50
Hi mate, watch what you do with your suspension.

I have the Full M-tec setup on my 525 sport which is nice
but since I fitted my 17" 840ci splits the ride has really suffered. I'm now in two minds to change them back but love the looks.

Ride / Looks / Handling ? That’s the choice and it's hard to get all three.

Andy, from www.bmwland.co.uk
E34 525i Sport      E28 528i

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 19:57
I have had the Sachs/Boge lowering springs from GSF fitted to my 525 Sport (new BMW OE shocks fitted recently) and the ride is firm by quite acceptable and I haven't really noticed that much difference going from the standard 15" Wheels to the 18" M-Parallels other than much more grip

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 19:59

There is a lot to be said for "bog standard", although I understand some people want to change the looks and or handling of thier cars.

I'm of the opinion that bm spent millions developing these cars to try and get the best of all worlds.

Best Wishes

Nigel

PHH-525i Sport View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 20:35

Cheers for that Andy, I do intend to fit 17" / 18" Alpinas but I'm praying it doesn't affect the handling too much.  I do have M-Tech suspension fitted but it is really tired, that's why the Eibach springs.

Its good to hear that Miles put on 18" M-Parallels with no bad effects, or maybe I should bite the bullet and just splash out on Miles's M5, if only I had the spondoolies 

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2003 at 00:13
This is my E34.

Edited by silverbmw528

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2003 at 10:23
Originally posted by PHH-525i Sport PHH-525i Sport wrote:

Cheers for that Andy, I do intend to fit 17" / 18" Alpinas but I'm praying it doesn't affect the handling too much.  I do have M-Tech suspension fitted but it is really tired, that's why the Eibach springs.

Its good to hear that Miles put on 18" M-Parallels with no bad effects, or maybe I should bite the bullet and just splash out on Miles's M5, if only I had the spondoolies 

Yes Miles's M5, What a car, Stunning ! I wish I had the dosh, I wouldn't think twice. Good luck with the sale Miles.

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2003 at 11:36
Originally posted by silverbmw528 silverbmw528 wrote:

Yes Miles's M5, What a car, Stunning ! I wish I had the dosh, I wouldn't think twice. Good luck with the sale Miles.

Thanks for the encouragement i think i am going to need it as i have had 2 time wasters already. The first couldn't come up with the money to pay after leaving a deposit and the second says that he can't afford the insurance after leaving a deposit

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2003 at 18:11
I've got a 535iS which has been lowered, a bit hamfistedly by the looks of it, and needs replacement bits. Can anyone reccommend a full kit for 25mm lowering, or even for OS? How low and how much is the bilstein kit?

Are the OS boge dampers position-sensitive? ie are they compromised by short springs?

Good forum btw!
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 12:08

Miles, i hate to worry you but:

I just tried to fit the GSF sachs/boge lowering kit and it's made for std e34s, not Sports, though mine is a 535i so that might make the difference.  Anyway, the spring doesn't fit the front top mount!

To make matters worse GSF seem pretty dim about Sports in general - their so-called bmw expert offered me std top mounts which would ruin the Sport geometry!  They have now said they don't do springs for the 535i Sport.  Eibachs are the way to go I reckon, but what part no?  Tried a couple of suppliers and they don't seem able to use their catalogues properly (demon tweeks were especially useless).  Can anyone tell me the eibach part no for e34 535i sport springs?

E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 12:29
Originally posted by jetsetwilly2000 jetsetwilly2000 wrote:

Miles, i hate to worry you but:

I just tried to fit the GSF sachs/boge lowering kit and it's made for std e34s, not Sports, though mine is a 535i so that might make the difference.  Anyway, the spring doesn't fit the front top mount!

To make matters worse GSF seem pretty dim about Sports in general - their so-called bmw expert offered me std top mounts which would ruin the Sport geometry!  They have now said they don't do springs for the 535i Sport.  Eibachs are the way to go I reckon, but what part no?  Tried a couple of suppliers and they don't seem able to use their catalogues properly (demon tweeks were especially useless).  Can anyone tell me the eibach part no for e34 535i sport springs?

I have just discovered that, i had a strange clonking on the front drivers side suspension mount, the spring is moving about

I am not to happy that the guy who fitted the springs didn't notice !

www.eibach.de list several kits for various E34 525 models but i am not sure which one is for the sport.

If you manage to find out the correct one could you let me know.

Thanks.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 12:31
I did the same with my E34 525 sport.

Bought the whole kit from ECP to find out that the rest
of my set up including top mounts were M-TEC.

So I kept it...

PHH-525i Sport View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 18:11

As I said earlier I've just fitted the Eibach springs and have now fitted Sprintline Bilstein struts and am very happy with the feel and the look, roughly around 30mm lowered.

The Eiback springs I got were listed as Prokit BMW 5 E34  Part number 2014-140.  I ended up buying the Sprintline kit with the Ventura springs as that was £100 cheaper than buying just the Bilstein struts on their own, so if anyone is looking for a brand new unfitted set of lowering springs for a 525 with M-Tech suspension????

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 18:21
So are the Sprintline Bilstein struts inserts or the complete unit ?

PS, how much did you end up spending if you don't mind me asking?

PPS did you fit them yourself ?

PPPS: Will the Sprintline Bilstein struts fir my M-tec top mounts ?

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 18:49

As I said earlier I've just fitted the Eibach springs and have now fitted Sprintline Bilstein struts and am very happy with the feel and the look, roughly around 30mm lowered.

The Eiback springs I got were listed as Prokit BMW 5 E34  Part number 2014-140.  I ended up buying the Sprintline kit with the Ventura springs as that was £100 cheaper than buying just the Bilstein struts on their own, so if anyone is looking for a brand new unfitted set of lowering springs for a 525 with M-Tech suspension????

Eibach pro-kit 2014.140 is for 518,520 and 525 so will these fit the 525i Sport Front Top Mounts ? I don't think you could get a 518 or 520 with M-tec suspension ?

Thanks

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 19:01
As far as I know the Sport and M were the only ones that
came with M-tec suspenstion. Never seen a 518 or 520 sport.

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 19:04
Originally posted by silverbmw528 silverbmw528 wrote:

As far as I know the Sport and M were the only ones that
came with M-tec suspenstion. Never seen a 518 or 520 sport.

I just emailed eibach directly, i'll let you know what they say.

Miles

Edited by e34m5

1991 525i Sport Manual

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2003 at 11:54

One difference between the 518/520 and the 525 up is that the the spring & dampers have separate mountings on the bigger engined variants. Haven't compared the two side by side but it's something to bear in mind.

Generally, the E34 doesn't like big wheels ie. 17"+ The M5 had a big wheel/tyre combination but the suspension geometry was different to the standard models.  Don't know if an upgrade to M5 is possible without big expense or hassle (control arms, links etc.) but that's the way to go for a fully engineered result. BMW spent a lot of time & money getting it right!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2003 at 13:37
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

One difference between the 518/520 and the 525 up is that the the spring & dampers have separate mountings on the bigger engined variants. Haven't compared the two side by side but it's something to bear in mind.

Generally, the E34 doesn't like big wheels ie. 17"+ The M5 had a big wheel/tyre combination but the suspension geometry was different to the standard models.  Don't know if an upgrade to M5 is possible without big expense or hassle (control arms, links etc.) but that's the way to go for a fully engineered result. BMW spent a lot of time & money getting it right!

I can't see why bigger wheels should make a difference to the suspension geometry as the overall rolling radius with an 18" Wheel and tyre combination is exactly the same as the standard 15" Wheel ?

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2003 at 14:19
Originally posted by e34m5 e34m5 wrote:

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

I can't see why bigger wheels should make a difference to the suspension geometry as the overall rolling radius with an 18" Wheel and tyre combination is exactly the same as the standard 15" Wheel ?

Miles

I see your logic but although I love my 17" 840 alloys my ride suffers from shimmy and I feel every bump.

I think it's because the M-tec is so finely tuned to 15" with normal tyre’s that when you loose that depth of rubber you really feel it, I suppose it's like sleeping on a normal bed then a lielow...the lielow will keep you firmly on the ground but you'll feel the floor...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic