Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede39 530d or e46 330d?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e39 530d or e46 330d?
    Posted: 04-February-2009 at 13:52
Im torn between the 530d and a 330d, cant decide which one will be better for me.  But rather that i want the 530 for more comfort, but then i think its getting dated looking now unlike the e46.  Im looking at a 2002-2003 models.  Thing is, im thinking the 330 will suit me more, being more sporty looking etc, and i do like the sporty feel.
I think the deciding factor will be price and spec, which ever one comes along with a better combination first.
I used have an e38 750, and it had all the options god created, full compliment of switches etc, but I cant find this on either of the above cars.  They were availible with most of the options, and i recall seing them from time to time, but of course now I have cash in my pocket to buy, there are none around!!! Typical.....
Anyway guys, what car would you go for?  I am concious that the 330d turbo's gave a lot of trouble, was this also the case on the 530d?
Cheers....

I miss my m3.......
Sponsored Links

Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2009 at 14:04

Is it specifically a 4 door you want or would a 330D Coupé Msport not be a much better proposition (not sure what years these were available) ???

In either case, if you don't specifically need all the room, then a 3 series is the way to go....

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2009 at 15:39

You seem to have answered your own Q M3Sport! E46... :)

Same engine so same probs me thinks.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2009 at 19:39

Originally posted by m3sport m3sport wrote:

I am concious that the 330d turbo's gave a lot of trouble, was this also the case on the 530d?
Cheers....

Oh yes!

Do a search on here for diesel turbo failures.  It will make your eyes water at the damage and cost!

I was thinking about an E39 530d but I was scared off by the thought of forking out £3,000 for a new turbo and inlet manifold re-build when/if the turbo gives up.  Also injectors can give problems at £300 a time.

Yes they give more mpg but they stink and make a noise like a cement mixer full of nails.

Bear in mind that the ar$e has fallen out of anything that has more cylinders than gears so a big petrol engine won't cost as much as you think.  Although isn't there some form of horrendous road tax system in Ireland where anything more powerful than a sewing machine has a big road tax bill? 

I haven't heard of turbo problems on the E60 and E90 so mibbie BMW have sorted it out.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic