Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedquestion about air filters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig 3.18i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question about air filters
    Posted: 20-February-2009 at 17:30
im new to this site i must say great site with plenty of information

here pic of my e36 94 1.8l just standard aint done nothing with it yet a lack of a job next on list when get a few bob is air filter kit just wondering which is better

the aftermarket kits like this

l
                      l
                     v

or say if i got a k & n filter like this

l
                        l
                        l
                      v

for the standard air filter box look forward to ur opinions

Edited by craig 3.18i
i have a e36 3.18i my first bm.
Sponsored Links

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2009 at 18:44
Welcome to the forum

'better' depends what you're looking for. Induction noise or performance gain?

Have a wee search on the forum for induction kits and you should find plenty of discussion and views to help you along.

I run a Dave.F induction kit on my car (see eBay seller dave131172)

craig 3.18i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig 3.18i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2009 at 18:55
looking for better performance
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig 3.18i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2009 at 19:19
Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

Welcome to the forum

Have a wee search on the forum for induction kits and you should find plenty of discussion and views to help you along.

u have a link to ur page havin prob searching

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2009 at 21:16

Prob won`t see much gain with just the filter,so go for the induction kit

Motorsportworld is one of the cheapest place to buy

W4YNE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W4YNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2009 at 08:19
well i read it once in perfomance bmw, they tested out a cone air filter,a carbon air box ram type filter and just drillin holes in your standard air box.

the test was for performance, and they rekoned the diffrence was fractional, if i remember i think the drillin holes option was the most performance.

drillin holes in your air box aint for me, i have cone filters on all three of mine.

a filter on its own will do nothin, weee bit throaty noise, if you get a performance exhaust and good filter you notice a difference then.   

fecken fox
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2009 at 08:26
Originally posted by craig 3.18i craig 3.18i wrote:

u have a link to ur page havin prob searching

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/dave131172
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig 3.18i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2009 at 13:51
Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

Welcome to the forum

u have a pic of the air filter?
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2009 at 14:14
Just google "dave.f induction kit" loads of information out there
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 19:30
Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 20:44
As an alternative, have a look at 'fogging' your air box here

If you don't mind DIY, this is a cheaper way to achieve airflow gains using the OEM air box (second hand one from the scrappy to keep yours in good nick for re-sale ).

Mind, you aren't going to get a big improvement and IMO it doesn't warrant spending £150 + on minimal gains.

Cheapest option for sure.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 22:26

If you want more performance then buy a 318is, 320, 323, 325 or a 328. You could spend loads on your car and it still wouldn't be as fast as a 318is/320. It will work out cheaper to change car.

If your stuck with the 318 for a while then just enjoy it as is and save your cash for a faster car in a year or two.

The only reason to spend money on modifiying a car engine is if you can't easily and cheaply go out and trade up to one with a bigger engine. Given the 318 is only one up from the baby of the range and that there are loads of bigger engined faster variants availible, I see no point in trying to make more power. Not only will a larger engined variant be more reliable since it is as BMW intended, it will also benefit from uprated brakes/suspenion etc that you will need to go with the extra power. Also you cannot beat the sound of a straight 6.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig 3.18i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2009 at 19:18
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

If you want more performance then buy a 318is, 320, 323, 325 or a 328. You could spend loads on your car and it still wouldn't be as fast as a 318is/320. It will work out cheaper to change car.

If your stuck with the 318 for a while then just enjoy it as is and save your cash for a faster car in a year or two.

The only reason to spend money on modifiying a car engine is if you can't easily and cheaply go out and trade up to one with a bigger engine. Given the 318 is only one up from the baby of the range and that there are loads of bigger engined faster variants availible, I see no point in trying to make more power. Not only will a larger engined variant be more reliable since it is as BMW intended, it will also benefit from uprated brakes/suspenion etc that you will need to go with the extra power. Also you cannot beat the sound of a straight 6.

you make a very good point would love a 3.18is but unfortly cannot afford it at the mo think ill just leave it the way it is
jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 13:18
I remember many many years ago a production saloon racer published an article about prep of a Group 1 car. They tried everything they could think of for the intake and ended up using the standard off-the-shelf filter from a well known maker because it gave 2 bhp more than anything else including an empty airbox.

Just because it looks shiney and costs the earth ...
JimF

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic