Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSTOLEN WHEELS!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddybren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STOLEN WHEELS!!!!!
    Posted: 22-February-2009 at 22:35
hi i am new to this forum but i am in need of your help.

a set of 17" MIM's wheels were stolen off an M5 where i work in Kildare.
they are deep dish multi-spoke wheels and are very recognisable.
they look like these:

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick. 

Edited by paddybren
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2009 at 22:44
Sorry to hear that.
I'll keep an eye out.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
irelandoffline View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2009 at 04:29
I'll keep an eye out too, but even if I saw them, there isn't much you can do.
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
1989 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989 520i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2009 at 19:45

Were there lock nuts fitted?

How'd they manage to get a full set of wheels off in a work car park without someone questioning?

paddybren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddybren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2009 at 21:29
i work in an independent bmw garage and the car was parked out the back. they obviously spotted them while they were looking through the scrapped cars in our yard and they broke in saturday night and took them. there was lock nuts on them too.

Edited by paddybren
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2009 at 10:03
I assume that the lock nuts were the usual BMW type-circular hole with a set of fine splines. These lock nuts are totally ineffective. I know that they come in different hole diameters and are used by VW and Audi as well to name but a few. A threaded bolt slightly larger in diameter (by about 1 millimeter) than the diameter of the splined hole in the lock nut is all that is needed by the thief. One good thump of a lump hammer drives the threaded end of the bolt into the splines, cutting corresponding splines on the threaded bolt. I have done it myself in an emergency, as have many other BMW owners too. I might be accused of aiding and abetting any thief that may be in a position to log on to this forum, but this knowledge might prevent a BMW owner from having their expensive wheels stolen, by getting a decent set of lock nuts fitted. BMW should have the splines on the outside of the locknut like most other cars. For example check out the locknuts on a Ford Focus, also assembled in Germany. There far superior.   
Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2009 at 13:21

So where dose one buy these superior lock nuts?

Sorry to hear Paddybren,Scumbags    I hate to hear that.

2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2009 at 19:44

Try performancealloys.com/locknuts.asp This was the first website that came up after pumping Alloy Wheel Locking Nuts into google. They seem to have the solution like I described in an earlier thread. Maybe I might need a set myself. Someone out there might be awake all night planning an oppertunity to take the permanent lone of my kerb damaged Mtecs  

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2009 at 20:15
You can see the actual locknuts that I suggest for a Beemer on mcgard.com. A small price to pay for real security. I had a look at my son's skyline to see if I could whip a wheel locking nut off like the way I did it on a beemer as I described on a previous thread. Not likely and just as well as the alloys on the car cost 600 euro each. You would wonder sometimes if euro builts are better.  
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2009 at 15:24
Lads make sure you have a set or two of locking nuts as this is about the 5th case of stolen wheels I have heard in the last month. Guys comin out to find their car on blocks!!!
Richie

paddybren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddybren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2009 at 20:27
we didnt even get the novelty of blocks, it was sitting on the ground!!!
stephen520i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen520i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2009 at 23:24
Thieving b*****ds.

What wheels have you got on now?

Edited by stephen520i
E34 520i auto leather

Previous: E36 93 316i M40 Boston Green

Maniac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 22:45

Originally posted by paddybren paddybren wrote:

we didnt even get the novelty of blocks, it was sitting on the ground!!!

damn- thats pain...

Anyway this is interesting set of wheels. I keep my eyes open. You cant miss so agressive and nice set.

I dont wear seatbelt - I die like a man!

E39 523i
PatchRick View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatchRick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 10:17
Jeez I can't believe the car wasn't left on bricks! Would that not damage the chassis?
PatchRick

Current: 2001 E46 318 Ci
Previous: 1994 E36 318 iS
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 10:24

Originally posted by PatchRick PatchRick wrote:

Would that not damage the chassis?

I'm guessing that this wasn't high on the list of cares of the rotten little toe rag tea leaf!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic