Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 17:33
Just going off topic slightly - given that cars (in Ireland anyway) accounted for about 2% of the causes of accidents and the rest were down to human error, why isn't there a test every year or two to get the poor drivers off the roads?
If I remember correctly, the EU have a directive to ensure all member states have a form of car test in place. Why don't they have a driver testing scheme?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 17:24
the titanic was unsinkable. was being the operative word. the aim of an MOT is perfectly reasonable, and if my car fails fair enough, it means that its not safe to drive on the road, but sometimes its ridiculous.... i could get forged MOTs too, but again id rather drive a truly roadworthy car than trying to screw the system..the system isnt a sham the people that are involved with it are. if it was government run stations then it would be silly on a stupid level. look at the driving test precedures now! they think by making the test an absolute mission (what have they got 3 written tests now?) and making it really expensive, that they will make everyone who is on the road a good driver.. i think that they should re test everyone that has had their license for over 15 years with a less pedantic practical than they use now, then we will erase all the idiots that make our driving lives difficult
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 17:01

You cannot be fined for having an illegal spare in the car ! it would be like getting fined for speeding before u actually do it ! u can only be prosecuted for USING an illegal tyre , not for the policemans oppinion of INTENDING TO USE IT ! in this country you are innocent untill proven guilty ! how would an officer prove you were  going to use the offending tyre !

dbanbury  you are absolutly rite in what u say ! the motor trade has some of the biggest crooks known to man in it , and people can say the card system will stop fraudulent mots , but i reckon when the mot system was updated with the special stamp , watermarked paper and computerised registration (although manually done ) it was thought to be incorruptable,WRONG .

put it this way ! if anyone wants an mot for there car i can get them one for £50 from one of three stations , they dont even have to see the car !

I WOULDNT ! BUT I CAN .

of course if was really crooked id just do my own mots in sum1elses name , or steal an mot certificate pad and stamp, how many punters would be aware that the certificate they are looking at came out of a stolen book ?  NOT MANY

the whole system is a sham ! it should be down to purpose built government run  stations not back street billy who has tendancys  for doing favours for his car dealer mates . however the government wont do that  cos it would cost too much , so untill they do we will just have to keep fighting the dodgy bastids who are abusing the system for there own benefit .

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 16:23

im sure that the utilisation of a swipe card will stop all the unscrupupous use of cards...... not. (in my experience, which is quite small) the only honest mechanics are the ones which are friends/family. i took my 86 e30 to a testing station and he ripped it to pieces. okay he was right about a lot of the stuff, but he threw in a couple of wildcards that would deter me from fixing it and testing it again. this was one

lower front control arm bushes worn out

i cant remember the others that didnt need doing but he missed out a bit of welding on it that did need doing! the problem with these people aside from the fact that they think they can screw you out of money is that they think that if a car is old than its not fit for the road.. my car is one of the best early 318i's i have seen around and even though its from SA, the paint and bodywork is still good. the drivetrain is excellent and the engine is pinsharp, with no knocks or clonks or smoke. everything that needed doing on it for the mot was stuff that had been neglected (some bushes) and i feel that as long as some idiot doesnt write my car off in an accident, it will last a long time.

that t**ser still said it was "f**ked" though, and when i asked him before he tested it, he said "its 17 years old anything could be wrong with it" i fart in his general direction. BMboy, the tests for MOT testers may be stringent now, but that doesnt change the fact that testers that are already out there are rubbish, they didnt have to sit that same test. unless i am mistaken and the test hasnt changed in 40 years....

alanw15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 09:00
[QUOTE=alanw15][QUOTE=Nigel]

Bm boy

Are you sure about the spare ?

My man tells me that rather stupidly it doesnt count until it is fitted to the car.

This seems more like british legislation, although i do personally prefer yours.

Yes if your spare tyre has an illegal depth, then even if you are pulled over by the police you can still get fined.

The reason being is should you have a flat one day, we all know what will happen.....you will change your tyre with the illegal spare. That was coming from a policeman

BMW 325I SE 1988
alanw15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 08:58
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Bm boy

My man tells me that rather stupidly it doesnt count until it is fitted to the car.

This seems more like british legislation, although i do personally prefer yours.

BMW 325I SE 1988
BMBoy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 00:21
Did you know that from next year the MOT test will be carried out with the use of a 'swipe card' via a computer link to the DVLA, part of which will be an ID check on the car to ensure it is not someone elses, and that the MOT certificate will be issued direct from the DVLA, which should stop any 'unscrupulous use' of MOT certificates.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 00:04

EERRM NO ! i personally passed my testers exam when i was 19 !! the only reason i am not a tester now is becoz i no longer work in that side of the trade !!

1st of all , with the spare , if u have one it has to have the legally required tread depth ! although it duznt have to be inflated , although in other parts of europe its a legal requirement !

2ndly , when u work in the motor trade , for a garage owner  , if hes a  registered mot testing station , if he wants u as a tester  he will declare that you have worked for him or have known u to be in the trade  for however long  neccassary .  in my case it was a family friends premises.

so please dont tell me what is involved ! 

also if anybody thinks that the motortrade  has nothing but genuine traders in it , then u are very sadly mistaken !

the mot testers test is a simple thing to pass , i would say at least 70 % of this forum could pass it easily !! it covers knowledge of the workings of a motor vehicle (which they teach u in the classes u have to attend) and basicly a lot of common sense questions, followed with a practical exam at the end ,

Tell me , How many times have u gone to a testing station and thought to urself , that guy doing the tests looks like a genius ??  i doubt many of u have !!

kinda says it all really !

and bm boy , i dont really think any1 on here needed to be told whats involved in an mot test , as we all own cars or have owned cars that go for the test every year , hence the topic being posted !!

CHEERS

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
BMBoy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 23:30
OK Nigel. I have just checked with my son who says that if there is a spare wheel in the boot, or, as in some Pugs etc where they are externally fitted inside a 'carrier' they have to be checked. Some cars like the Clio Cup, come with tyre foam and no spare but if there is one, it has to be 'legal'

Edited by BMBoy
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 23:12

Bm boy

I'm noy arguing with you, or disgreeing with what you say, its just that my mechanic says until the spare is fitted to the car it isnt covered by the mot.

Which seems far more likely of our legislation, than the "slightly" !! more sensible things you say.

You dont even have to have one !!!

Best Wishes

Nigel

BMBoy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 23:04
Nigel
Why shouldn't the spare be 'roadworthy'? What if you had a puncture and had to swap wheels at the roadside and your spare was BALD? You then drive along the road, maybe get stopped by the police, or you might be involved in an accident and the 'bald tyre' is noticed. What do you suppose will happen? It is pretty obvious to me that a spare tyre should be kept inflated and with a good amount of tread, just so as if the change is needed, then it will be safe!

A reliable garage with an MOT licence will check your spare - I know that my observant mechanic son would check it as would all the guys at their GOOD INDEPENDENT garage. More trustworthy than the 'Main Stealers' - so they have been told!

Edited by BMBoy
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 22:53

Bm boy

Best Wishes

Nigel

BMBoy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 22:00
The MOT scheme is primarily a road safety measure designed to ensure as far as possible that all cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles more than 3 years old:

1. Are properly maintained

2. At least once a year are examined at an authorised MOT test station to make sure that they comply with certain important requirements of the law

Remember- the test certificate relates only to the condition of the testable items at the time of the test and should not be regarded as evidence of their condition at any other time; nor should it be accepted as evidence of the general mechanical condition of the vehicle.

Your Car and the MOT

If you have a car that is more than 3 years old it will need an MOT test each year to ensure that it meets at least the minimum road safety and environmental standards.

The test relates only to the condition of the testable items at the time of the test. It should not be regarded as evidence of the condition of the items tested at any other time nor should it be taken as evidence of the general mechanical condition of the vehicle

The test

MOT's are undertaken at garages authorised by the Vehicle Inspectorate to carry out the tests. They are easily identifiable by the blue, 3 triangle MOT Sign.

What items are examined in the MOT test?

Lighting Equipment, Stop Lamps, Reflectors, and Direction Indicators

Front and rear position lamps, rear registration plate lamps, rear fog lamps
Headlamps
Stoplamps
Rear reflectors
Direction indicators and hazard warning devices
Headlamp aim
Steering (including suspension)

Steering control
Steering system
Power steering
Suspension - general
Front suspension, front wheel bearings and driveshafts
Rear suspension and rear wheel bearings
Shock absorbers
Brakes

Parking brake lever mechanism
Hand operated brake control valves
Service brake control
Anti-lock braking system
Mechanical brake components
Hydraulic, air and vacuum systems
Brake performance
Tyres

Tyres
Roadwheels
Seat Belts

Seatbelts
General Items

Drivers view of the road
Wipers
Washers
Windscreen
Audible warning (horn)
Exhaust system
Exhaust emissions -petrol & diesel
General condition of vehicle -
vehicle structure
body security
body condition
doors
load security
spare wheel and carrier
seats
Mirrors
Fuel system
Registration plates and VIN details
BMBoy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 21:56
Originally posted by daddy cool daddy cool wrote:

The biggest problem with the whole M,O,T  test in the uk is , any ugly little 18 yr old can apply for his testers licence, which means the person testing ur car could be the thick one u sat next to at school , you know , the one that couldnt read or write  let alone tell u  if ur car is roadworthy or not .  if u can afford it and u dont mind the hassle  do as i did with my 3 yr old calibra  when it came to its 1st  mot , take it to ur local mot registered quick fit or similar  and see what happens .  if it fails take it to a local independant  and spot the difference .  the dozy little tw4t at quick fit failed it on headlight aim too high , and he reckond the springs had been CHOPPED !!  the independant used the electronic headlight adjuster on the dash  and was happy to accept the springs were proper spax items  which as the receipt showed  came from QUICK FIT , yes the place it failed at .   i then went straight down to the ministry of transport office and reported them , where the ministry did there own checks  on the car  and hastily went down to quick fit and revoked there testers  certificate  ,advising them  that untill a new tester replaces  the old one they are not allowed to carry out any more tests ,

REVENGE  aint it sweet . although im not really welcome at quick fit any more !!   oh well BOTHERD !!!!!!!!!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You are so wrong in your statement about 'any 18 year-old becoming an MOT tester. You have to have been a mechanic for at least FOUR YEARS IN ORDER TO ATTEND THE MOT TESTERS' COURSE AND SIT YOUR TEST. I should know because my son wasn't permitted to do his test until he was 21 years old and had been working as a mechanic for FOUR YEARS.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

. What is the criteria to become an Nominated Tester?

To qualify to become an NT for any class of vehicle, an applicant must;

be sponsored by the AE of a VTS - in sponsoring a prospective NT the AE is not only stating that to the nest of the AEs belief the candidate has the necessary background, experience and integrity to carry out MOT testing but is also willing to provide the necessary facilities for the candidate to practice testing to be able to demonstrate to VI that they are competent before they are allowed to carry out actual MOT Tests;
be at least 20 years old;

have a full unrestricted UK driving licence for the vehicle class(es) they wish to test. Motor bicycles this means a full licence for all types and sizes of machine;
be a skilled mechanic with at least four years experience repairing the types of vehicle that they wish to test;

have no 'unspent' convictions, as defined in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, for criminal offences connected with the vehicle testing scheme or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation; and, be otherwise of good repute.

In addition, anyone wishing to become an NT for classes III, IV, V or VII must either possess an acceptable vocational qualification or, in the absence of such qualification, they must pass VI's Nominated Tester Assessment examination NTT(a). This requirement does not apply to NTs who have previously tested vehicles of these classes at any time unless they are returning to testing following suspension for disciplinary reasons.
Overview

This is a two day mandatory course for prospective MOT Testers. It has been designed to develop the skills and knowledge necessary for those involved with the testing of vehicle which fall into test classes III, IV and VII.

Content

Supporting Legislation/Regulations
Reasons for refusing to start a test
Tools for the job
Corrosion
Standards and Procedures
Documentation   

Documentation

Candidates must be at least 20 years old, skilled mechanics with at least four years experience, hold a full, valid driving licence for the class(es) of vehicle they wish to test and be sponsored by an authorised MOT Test Station.

Additionally candidates must have one or more of the following vocational qualifications or have passed the Inspectorates NTT (A) Examination:

National Craft Certificate in Vehicle Maintenance & Electronic Systems
City & Guilds, Repair and Servicing of Road Vehicles (syllabus 381 or 383)
BTEC Vehicle Engineering Studies (National Certificate)
SCOTVEC Vehicle Mechanics and Systems Pts 1 to 3 (National Certificate)

Note

Candidates will not be able to conduct statutory MOT Testing of vehicles falling into one or more of the above classes until they have successfully completed this course and a workplace assessment. Should an existing tester feel they could benefit from this course they should apply directly to our booking section, in these cases a charge of £220 + VAT per delegate will be made.

Edited by BMBoy
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 21:28
The MOT test is an ass anyway.

1/ My (probably everyones?) M3 is guarentee'd to fail on emissions, so what do we do? we tweak it to get thru, and then tweak it again afterwards so it runs right again!

2/ M3's have a KPH speedo - that's OK for the MOT, but the car is illegal to use in the UK without an MPH one!

Does this make any sense??

To have an - annual - test itself is sensible, but the MOT as it stands is useless!

Anyway, to get back to the original question - ignore the stealers, take it to an independant - preferable one's thats been recommended to you
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
alanw15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2003 at 08:16

well done m8, there r some really good mot stations and some really bad one.

Take for instance a car i was going to buy until i saw the MOT Certificate.

I was after an escort estate (what was i thinking, must have been when i was insane) anyway, 3 tyre were all identical and one was a completely different size, the spare was as bald as kojak, which is illegal in itself. the break pads had well about 1.5 mm left on them.

Now the test certificate stated that it was MOT'ed the day before!!!!!

So i feel sorry for all those people out there who know jack about cars and think if the car has a full MOT that is a good thing.........buys beware

BMW 325I SE 1988
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2003 at 00:38
Edited due to inacurate information - In order to qualify as an MOT technician a training course has to be passed. Furthermore, this I am told cannot be taken until the age of 21 is reached. Starting next year, MOTs will be conducted using a computer link to the DVLA, part of which will be an ID check on the car to ensure it is not someone elses.

Howard Walker

Edited by Howard
e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 23:33
Based on the feedback here, the NCT in Ireland would seem to be better controlled. But I stil have heard of stories of cars that should fail passing and cars hat should pass failing.
The problem with this monopoly is the company concerned gets greedy and is, shall we say, 'overzealous' on certain test items with the result that alot of cars fail and have to pay the retest fee.
A big problem is the headlights test, its accuracy tolerances are extremely tight. Even the local BMW dealers setup can't match the accuracy specs for the NCT for the headlight beam test!
My own car is due for its NCT in January and I have a bad feeling they will drag me back in again on some minor point.
Kevin_1990_318iS
alanw15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2003 at 21:31

Why didn't he have an MOT or Tax ?

Miles

Both had run out at the same time and i think he was waiting to get paid.

But that aint the point, all that matters is that the insurance companies will pay out even without MOT & tax.

BMW 325I SE 1988
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2003 at 21:06
At least we make a neater job of ditch parking and back them in!!I love rear wheel drive,200bhp and slippery roads!!!

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic