Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWant to know your Power output?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to know your Power output?
    Posted: 26-March-2009 at 00:58

Hi people,

I have posted up in the SW section, but I guess as the day will be more MPower orientated, I would post it here too.

Venue: Circuit Motors Ltd.

Address: B4039, Castle Combe, Nr Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN14 7HB

Date & Time: Saturday 04th April 2009 at 9-9.30am

Cost: £40 for 2 runs and a third if those 2 are not consistent (rare).

What you get: To meet and see other like minded people and thier cars being ran up on the dyno. You get a graph of power and torque with a wealth of information from a seperate compound report which includes AFR's and Boost if you have a turbo car. The graphs and reports will include all runs carried out.

There are 3 E28 M5's already commited to the day, and some mutterings from some others who have shown interest. There is no upper or lower limit to numbers and you will pay on the day, no deposits required.

The rolling road is the latest Dastek 4WD dyno which is regarded by top tuners (including me) as being the most sensitive, accurate and repeatable rolling road out there today.

Any questions, please pm me or reply to this thread

Paul.

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 08:25

Guys

The Scottish arm of BMWCC organised a dyno run with a mixed bag of results.

The E39 M5s and some of the M3s didn't like the road and my automatic E60 changed gear and upset my power graph.  The RR owner had said that M cars and autos shouldn't be a problem....

Report on the day here

Organisation thread here

Hopefully you have better luck on your day.  The E28 M5 should be better, with less electrical gizzmos in them to get upset and cut the engine power.

I'll look out for the results.

All the best with it

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 09:09
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Guys

The Scottish arm of BMWCC organised a dyno run with a mixed bag of results.

The E39 M5s and some of the M3s didn't like the road and my automatic E60 changed gear and upset my power graph.  The RR owner had said that M cars and autos shouldn't be a problem....

Report on the day here

Organisation thread here

Hopefully you have better luck on your day.  The E28 M5 should be better, with less electrical gizzmos in them to get upset and cut the engine power.

I'll look out for the results.

All the best with it

Andrew

Atleast I am not associated with these guys..... I've heard that they say thier dyno is the "heartbreaker" for real power outputs

I also know a club cancalled the day half way through the day as there were 6 or 7 cars which made nowhere near standard figures and they asked for and got a refund. All went to another close by dyno and all were extremely happy with as expected figures..

I suspect these guys don't quite know how to use the dyno properly yet. By the feedback on the other link, they seem a nice bunch of guys, but if there is a pattern of this appearing, which there seems to be, getting back lost custom like that is hard. Certainly some of the M' Powered cars need to be put into dyno mode, which can be tricky occassionally, but generally it's pretty easy to do.

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 21:54

Interesting.

How do you put an M Powered car in dyno mode? 

I was supecting that the car would need to be 'told' that it was on a set of rollers.

Does anyone know if an automatic E60 has a dyno mode?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 10:56
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Interesting.

How do you put an M Powered car in dyno mode? 

I was supecting that the car would need to be 'told' that it was on a set of rollers.

Does anyone know if an automatic E60 has a dyno mode?

Andrew

I have it written down somewhere, will need to look it out. You can certainly put it into dyno mode with Autologic.

I can't answer the E60 question as I havn't tried it myself, but I am sure there are means and ways around it.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 11:03
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

some of the M' Powered cars need to be put into dyno mode, which can be tricky occassionally, but generally it's pretty easy to do.
especially on an E30 M3 - isn't that in "dyno-mode" all the time?

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 13:23

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

some of the M' Powered cars need to be put into dyno mode, which can be tricky occassionally, but generally it's pretty easy to do.

Certainly is

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 17:03

Certainly is

that depends largely on the operator.....
Some off them are in constant limp mode
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2009 at 15:34
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Certainly is

nice one Uwe
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Hoover View Drop Down
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 13:05

Certainly is

mine deffo is..i might pop over Paul, if the arms upto it, let you know mid week

88 E30 M3 fast(er than it was, ta Shep and Grant)

and a k8 2008 busa...faster still

(focus RS gone to good home - but never forgotton, eh Shep)
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 15:40

LOL Uwe!!

Nick, would be great to see you again, I am in the middle of another conversion, same spec as your's except has cams too.... After dynoing it yesturday with the AFM still in place, when you see the results of that, you will WANT cams (oh and bigger TB's) lol

Paul.

Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 17:30
Mmmm..may not be a good thing for me, not sure how much harder i could push my hi miler

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 17:33

Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

Mmmm..may not be a good thing for me, not sure how much harder i could push my hi miler

Nick, yours is much lower mileage in comaprison

Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 17:38

oooh!  interested Paul.

what about the TBs tho mate, doesnt that mean new carbon?

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 23:37

oooh!  interested Paul.

what about the TBs tho mate, doesnt that mean new carbon?

The car in question has done upwards of 160k MILES, but is standard with exception of a Miltek exhaust, Schrick 284 inlet and Sport Evo 272 exhaust cam, with Miltek and makes 222/223 bhp and 183ftlbs before removing the AFM. It also has 49mm TBs fitted but to a standard head, so I didn't think this would make much, if anything difference.

But, I could be wrong, as the car only made 180/185bhp before that work albeit on a different dyno, I doubt the extra bhp was all down to the cams.

Will keep you posted with the results.

We would have to measure the airbox to see how it will measure upto the 49mm TB's as it may not be too far off? But the one fitted to the above car is a 48mm airbox which was not supplied by the usual route, not ideal, but we'll see how it ends up.  Also, there is less volume than the one you have.

Edited by SHEPSM3
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2009 at 20:21

keep me posted Paul, did you fit the cams. i would be interested in that as i can see that being doable without changing lots of other stuff particularly what we (you ) have already done mate.

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2009 at 20:52
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Certainly is

LOL

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2009 at 23:20

keep me posted Paul, did you fit the cams. i would be interested in that as i can see that being doable without changing lots of other stuff particularly what we (you ) have already done mate.

Nick, I didn't fit the cams.. these were fitted by the owner and set to manufacturers settings with the dowel in place... apparently.

So, 222/223 bhp with AFM fitted. 239/240 bhp with CF airbox and Unichip

EDIT: I relied (stupidly) on the cars rev counter to calibrate the dyno roller speed to engine RPM. As the rev counter was 300-350 rpm out, the initial torque figure is inaccurate. But like for like, the torque figure ended up at 195 ftlbs. So there was around a 12-15 ftlbs increase. But with the dyno roller speed calibrated correctly, the torque is 181 ftlbs. Power remains the same. So before torque would have been around 166-169 ftlbs before the AFM was removed.

Edited by SHEPSM3
mboon View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2009 at 15:30
OK a question for you guys, I have a E36 M3 Saloon 3.0 with a 5 speed manual box, if I went to any rolling road (not BMW specific) would there be anything they would have to do in order to get a reading? or would it go straight on, run up and be fine? Never took a car on the rollers and would like to know if using the one down the road at a tunners is not going to cause any problems to my car?
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2009 at 18:50
Paul, what sort of time you having visitors till mate..ie when you off home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic