Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfront coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front coil springs
    Posted: 28-March-2009 at 11:54
got a v,reg 528i 94.000 on the clock i think the previous owner lower the suspension. now the driver side (front) coil spring has gone a bit soft tried looking online but all i get is lowering kits so any advise on where to get a standard set of springs would be welcome as its pulling the rear down also so is it better to replace springs around
Sponsored Links

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2009 at 15:40
motormec?
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2009 at 21:30

When you say the spring has gone soft, does the car bounce a lot when you hit a bump? if that's the case, it could be your shock instead. The previous owner could have fitted springs not manly enough for the car i.e. cheap rubbish. My previous car, an '89 530ise had some really low suspension and that had eibach springs on it which I'm fairly sure that Schnitzer use on some of their conversions. Sure the ride was a bit hard but she cornered like on rails and there was no dive/squat when accelerating/braking.

To be fair, one of the best things about a BMW is the handling and most would agree that you should not upset this by puting on non standard or non reccommended springs/shocks. If you just want a nice BMW style ride, put the standards back on, if you are going for non-genuine, at least make sure they are a reputable make such as sachs, boge or eibach etc.....

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
dazbye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2009 at 11:39
thank for reply  the drivers side only is 1 1/2 inches lower than rest of vehicle but its lowering driverside rear to point of rear starting to rub
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2009 at 22:51

Well in that case, if it's lower, that is almost 100% the spring. Either it has cracked, causing the car to drop or it is so weak it has lost it's 'spring' so to speak but more than likely, if a spring gives up, it snaps so I'd get it sorted ASAP before you cause more damage.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 17:08
The good news is that springs don't cost all that much, even nice ones, even (dare I say it) genuine ones.  Let us know how you get on...
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic