Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUsing a mobile phone while driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Using your mobile while driving. Is the law adequaite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.11%]
4 [22.22%]
12 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using a mobile phone while driving
    Posted: 06-April-2009 at 23:14

This has been a bit of a strong point with me for a while for several reasons. I admit, one of the main reasons was about 6 years ago, I had a very near miss where I was using my mobile in the car, only for a second to answer a call and tell the other person I'd ring them when I got home as I was driving. As a result, I nearly had a collision and it brought it home to me how much you really miss happening on the road when using your mobile.

Since then, I have noticed so many near misses where things could have gone so badly wrong but today it really brought it home to me.

I had stopped at a traffic light crossing where a group of about 7 kids ranging from the age of 6 to about 12 had all stopped to cross. I stopped as did the car on the other side. The second the group had their back foot on the pavement, the car on the other side suddenly sped off at quite some speed. As I watched the driver in horror, I saw he was deep into a conversation on his phone to such effect, he had a vacant stare on his face, almost as if he didn't even realise he was in a car at all. It only added to my horror as I glanced back to the front of my car, the lights still very much red, another group of kids, wanting to catch up with their friends had run out onto the crossing to catch them up with no thought to look at the traffic on the road. Well why would they, the lights were red, all the cars had stopped surely?

If those kids had of been crossing from the other side to my side, the car that sped off would have mown them all down and I'm not even sure how far he'd have got before realising he'd even hit them. Kids of that age don't have a hell of a lot of road sense and it's our job to be the sensible ones. It is said and even supposedly proven in lengthy universaty studies that using a mobile phone while driving is more lethal than drink driving and I have seen a few examples as to why.

Those kids could have been mine or yours and may not have been so lucky. Is 3 points and a £60 fine enough or, in line with drink driving laws, should it be a ban or even worse?

Your thoughts and opinions please.

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 07:33
Wasn't there research donethat showed driving with a phone was worse than driving over the alcohol limit?
<quick search>
found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safet y#Simulation_studies_vs._alcohol
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 08:08

I also had a near miss about 4 years ago when driving home from work. I was giving a colleague a lift home and on the route there is a very sharp right hand bend. When approaching this bend a young woman in a fiat punto came around the corner towards me with her phone to her ear but as she only had one hand on the wheel she could not get enough lock on to turn the corner fully and so approached me on my side of the road. I had to take evasive action which entailed driving up the kerb onto the pavement on my left and coming to rest wedged against a fence. The woman just continued on her way and unfortunately I was unable to get her registration. Although our speeds were only 25 to 30 mph combined head on would have been 50 to 60 mph which would have resulted in a very severe collision.

A good hands free earpiece can be bought for less than £15 so there is no excuse for driving with one hand holding a phone. I agree that punishments should be more severe.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 09:33
They have brought in a law that is not enforced, also the amount of people who won't wait for the green light to change on their filter. I see it most days at adamstown in lucan.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 10:22
I don't answer or use mobile phones whilst driving.
Ignorance is bliss 
Using mobiles whilst driving is like running about with a primed shotgun in a busy street.
Maximum penalty for offenders

[rant on]The thing is, there are NOT enough resources to monitor this, as many of the offenders know, so it just continues regardless..

I see plenty of ass holes driving whilst using their mobile phones.[/rant over]

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 10:30
I never use my phone when driving but I think the law is adequate. If you get caught you get done. Seems ok to me.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 20:57

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I never use my phone when driving but I think the law is adequate. If you get caught you get done. Seems ok to me.

Yes but if I was an a-hole who didn't have much care for peoples lives, I'd probably not worry about drink driving if I only got a small fine and 3 points, however, I might think more carefully if I was to lose my licence. The tougher the law usually means the less people likely to offend. To really push the example, (and I know it is unrealistic, but just as on OTT example) if you were to get an automatic 1 year prison sentance, how many less people would do it then?

Like I said and it has been proven, if using your mobile is more dangerous than drink driving, why is the penalty lighter?

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 22:48

I imagine I'm going to surprise you all on this one !

I use my mobile whilst driving !

I recieve calls on my bluetooth hands free, and will even make calls when I consider it safe enough to do so.

As long as I don't allow these activities to affect my driving, I am breaking no laws.

However, the hand wringing safety brigade, of which some of you seem to belong to, would have you believe otherwise.

I'd suggest, for what my opinions worth, that you stop worrying about piddly little details and what we can ban next, and concentrate on improving your own driving standards, and then if you wish, pass the knowledge you have gained onto others.

Best Wishes

Nigel

davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 01:09
hands free not against the law yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 09:52
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I recieve calls on my bluetooth hands free, and will even make calls when I consider it safe enough to do so.

As long as I don't allow these activities to affect my driving, I am breaking no laws.

However, the hand wringing safety brigade, of which some of you seem to belong to, would have you believe otherwise.

I'd suggest, for what my opinions worth, that you stop worrying about piddly little details and what we can ban next, and concentrate on improving your own driving standards, and then if you wish, pass the knowledge you have gained onto others.

Surely this thread is about using a hand held mobile phone not a hands free kit?

I wouldn't use either mind.

colb666 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colb666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 10:04
I picked up a speeding fine for doing 70 in a 50 (A90
dual carraigeway at Laurenckirk )the road has around 750
metres where it drops to 50 mph and as I was on the
phone I didnt even notice the signs warning me.I drove
through the fixed camera at 70 mph with my cruise
control on and didn't even notice it flash....IMO no
phone usage while driving should be the rule as no
matter who you are there is no way you can concentrate
on the road around you.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 10:13

Surely this thread is about using a hand held mobile phone not a hands free kit?

Agree Peter, no mention of hands free kits in the introduction to the thread

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 10:17

A lot of it generally depends on the person driving the car, my last boss was thinking more about one project or other rather than the road.

I have been in the jeep with him while he is driving in the fast lane on the M50 doing 50mph while sending text messages, he even said I am a typical boy racer even though I wasn't breaking the speed limit once.

I have a wired hands free and use it generally to tell SWMBO I am on the way or call old collegues for a bitching session about the old boss, at all times I am concentrating on the road ahead.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 11:42

Although I have a bluetooth kit I do NOT use my mobile whilst driving, invariably it is on vibrate in my jacket pocket on the seat anyway.

No matter how good a driver we think we are (nods in Nigels direction ) with all the other lunatics on the road, the state of the roads in general, and the various 'street furniture' i.e. scameras, we all need to concentrate on the job in hand and not be distracted.

Saying that, I do take my eye off the road to change the radio station, or have a 'fag', but IMHO holding a conversation on a phone is a tad too dangerous however you do it.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 11:51

It has been claimed that having a smoke whilst driving is just as bad as using a mobile phone. The whole argument about handheld phones is that you are not in full control of your car.

The driving authorities in the UK are looking at banning smoking while driving as you have to get the cig out of the pack, light it, smoke it, tap  the ash and put out the smoke, so in essence you are not in full control/concentration of the car.

Dave Ryle

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 17:44
Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

It has been claimed that having a smoke whilst driving is just as bad as using a mobile phone. The whole argument about handheld phones is that you are not in full control of your car.

The driving authorities in the UK are looking at banning smoking while driving as you have to get the cig out of the pack, light it, smoke it, tap  the ash and put out the smoke, so in essence you are not in full control/concentration of the car.

I'm not going to disagree that whilst you do those things you are not totally concentrating, but I believe no more (less?) than listening to a song on the radio/CD, BUT ....

holding a conversation on a mobile must take up much more concentration, so has to be dangerous.

(p.s. which F1 racing driver was it that slid off over the weekend and blamed his team for talking to him in a corner?)

But don't care.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 18:47
Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

Now your just trying to wind Nigel up!

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 20:20

I wouldn't use either mind.

Well spotted Peter, in the same vein as you Nigel, if you concentrated on your reading skills, you'd see I wasn't on about sensible people such as yourself , like in the example, the guy nearly mowed down 5 kids as he had the phone to his ear and had to take his hand off the wheel to change gear!

E28 525e auto-Standard
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 22:20

I still think you all worry to much.

Concentrate on your own driving, leave others alone

I've had a phone in my car for over 20 years now, I've smoked whilst driving for over 30 years.

Here's an offer for you, this smoking phone using driver will happily give any of you a demonstration of my driving, how many of you would submit to an assessed drive, assessed by me, lets see how good those moaning about others are.

Any takers ?..... Pittsy your local !

We'll post the results of what we think of each others driving, it should be good for a laugh if nothing else.

Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2009 at 22:29

Here's an offer for you, this smoking phone using driver will happily give any of you a demonstration of my driving, how many of you would submit to an assessed drive, assessed by me, lets see how good those moaning about others are.

Any takers ?..... Pittsy your local !

Niggle, I'm sure you are a very good driver, expert in fact - you've been certified to prove it  - it's not YOU I'm worried about, it's all the other loonies on the road that Can't drive I'm worried about, we All need our wits about us to deal with them - even you.

and the best way to combat them is not to be distracted. Some are better at multi-tasking than others, but surely it's best not to?

This thread is about those stupid tw*ts who still insist on using a mobile phone without handsfree whilst in a car - but I think it goes further than that - who really needs to talk on the phone whilst driving anyway? Let it ring, pull over, get out of the car, then answer it.

We have all become slaves to the mobile, blackberrys, laptops, etc.... live a little, let them wait.

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic