Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedshaking steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devo11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaking steering wheel
    Posted: 07-April-2009 at 03:00

hi guys about a month ago i hit a kerb IN MY 1999 520I and went into advance pit stop and got the wheels tracked and balanced at cost of 85euro.

i was told the nearside front wheel was buckled and i managed to get a set of 16inch turbine alloys (4) and the vibration etc subsided a little.the car went for its nct last week and it failed on the  front nearside wishbone bushing i went to a garage in clondalkin and they replaced the WHOLE WISHBONE AND BUSHES AND RODS on it costing me over 400 euro and STILL if im on the motorway at 50mph the steering shakes then stops above 50mph.WITH VERY LITTLE VIBRATION AROUND 60 MPH

if im braking above 50mph the steering shakes but below 50mph when i brake it DOESNT weird or what

.i have a feeling the front nearside brake disc may be the cause of the problem as it could be warped anyhow this wasnt an issue with nct as it passed the slip slide test and have nct till 5/11 but this problem driving me crazy!!.below 50mph everything fine and above 50mph the steering vibrates and shakes when braking has anyone any idea please

devo11

Edited by devo11
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 10:27

Hmmm.

I don't think this is due to a brake disc.

Firstly i'd get the wheels balanced again and get your suspension geometry checked on a 4 wheel laser alignment system.

My other concern would be that you only replaced the wishbone on one side. My instinct would be to replace bushes etc in pairs as what you have now is a brand new set on one side and old ones on the other. This will inherently make one side stiffer than the other and may be causing your problem.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 13:07

I would agree with Peter.

Warped discs are a myth, it is a chemical change from hot pads and discs reacting with each other to change the chemical and frictional characteristics of the disc which creates a 'grabbing' effect when applying the brakes which feels like a warped disc.

The E39 needs a full four wheel alignment done, not just the front track rod ends adjusted.  Which did you have done?

It could be some other suspension/steering joint that has worn.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 17:07
I agree with Andrew, it'll not be a warped disc - although they do happen. Nothing in the brakes could cause the 50mph shimmy. 

Most likely cause is the bushes - get the other side done, and get it aligned.  Also, E39s are a bugger for wheel balancing - do you trust the folk that did it?

E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 20:48

Ditto all the above. My e34 has had similar problems over the course of about 6 months. Had all the arms replaced and it didn't go, had wheels balanced, still had the wobble. When I needed a new front tyre due to a puncture, my new tyre then seemed to get rid of the wobble so it could be the bushes as most likely but also tyres can go 'out of round' when they get a bit older.

Worth replacing both arms and getting the wheels re-balanced (front ones mainly)

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Johnny conway View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 22:00

just a note to remind you Davo, to check that the front hub isnt slightly bent after the kirb. I know of situation where as a result of a kirb incident a slight judder became progressively worse. it was discovered that the disk was warped, not as a result of the kirb but as a result of the brake bads trying to keep the disk straight when infact it was the hub that was slightly out as a result of the kirb. this, i imagine caused the brake pads to wear the disk irregularly thus creating a wobble, at first when braking and eventually without braking. if a new disk and pads are fitted,it may be ok for a while but eventually the wobble will return. so no harm to check this.

j

Brucie
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 22:57

This happened on my mates 735i, without him hitting a kerb.

On his it was caused by a siezed caliper piston which led to disk damage.

Best Wishes

Nigel

devo11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devo11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2009 at 02:24

hi guys

thanks for all the input the funny thing is i didnt hit the kerb hard

ok i will try simplify it for yous

1.hit kerb steering almost completely gone mainly from left side which i hit

2.went garage got new is it track rod front left(cost me 280euro)

shaking still there

3.got wheels all 4 fully balanced and alligned(85euro).front left wheel buckled

4.got 4 new 16inch turbine alloys second hand(cost 120euro)tyres great nearly new still shaking

5.went nct FAILED on front left wishbone/bush.

6.went garage put whole new wishbone with new bushes  onto carand seen the rubber bush was broken .so new bar and bush for failing front left side(cost 256euro) still shaking.

7.passed nct last week on slip slide test nct till 05/11 now.

8.i didnt get new wheel alligned or balanced yet but vibration greatly reduced at 50 mph and slight vubration of steering wheel above 50 and braking above 60 car steering shakes till it goes below 50mph and no shaking.

in other words if i constantly went below 50 mph i have no problems but above 50 mph i do.thats the annoying part.

i will get new wheels alligned and balanced this sat.but whet annoys me is that the i paid the garage in total over 700 euro and still no joy so far so please HELP ME as i explained the shaking to the mechanic and he looked at brake discs and said there is A LIP ON THEM and that explains the shaking i only hit the kerb mind you at 15mph and the wheels where fully locked but paying another 85 for balancing wheels this sat and possibly new brake discs im looking at over 1000euro or more so please help ha oh yeah i do trust garage

thanks

Edited by devo11
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2009 at 08:26
Originally posted by devo11 devo11 wrote:

the mechanic and he looked at brake discs and said there is A LIP ON THEM and that explains the shaking

Er no this means that the discs are a bit worn!  Not necessarily worn badly and certainly not warped!

This isn't the same garage where you had issues in the past is it?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2009 at 00:25

I paid 25 pound the other day for a hunter 4 wheel alignment

Still need new front tyrs though now!!

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2009 at 08:30
Originally posted by Exharper Exharper wrote:

I paid 25 pound the other day for a hunter 4 wheel alignment

Eh?  You can't even get a front wheel track rod end adjustment done at Kwik Fraud for that!

Cheapest full four wheel alignment I could source was £55 and that was back in 2005!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2009 at 09:39

This included the front adjustments only though.

If the rears need adjusting, then its another £10 a corner. However 9/10 times its only the front wheels that needs doing as they allign the rear wheel motion with the front wheels, so your only paying for whats required.

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
devo11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devo11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2009 at 00:04

hi guys

no its not the same garage andrew ha good memory.

i taught that myself it wasnt the discs that were warped.

its just that i paid 100's of euro's and the bloody steering still shakes a little above 50 below 50 it is fine just a head melter.

im going to ADVANCE PITSTOP 2MRO TO GET FULL WHEEL ALLIGNMENT AND TRACKING  to see if it helps it will cost guys approx 85 euro's just to let you know ha.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2009 at 10:25

If the rears need adjusting, then its another £10 a corner. However 9/10 times its only the front wheels that needs doing as they allign the rear wheel motion with the front wheels, so your only paying for whats required.

On the E39 you set the rear wheels up first and then align the front to the rears.  Not the other way around.

Granted my E39 only needed a front adjustment as the rears were o.k. but I paid full whack.

Andrew

PS Dan, I've jacked in WYG and I'm now at Network Rail!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2009 at 11:08

Yeah, that was what i meant to say. Its expensive in scotland for BMW's...Get back to the south!

So you have left the WYG Camp, wise move. I think its game over on that one. Seems to be the most affected consultancy in the country! Me to shorty if my plans all fit together.

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2009 at 15:58
I would agree with most of the above regards tracking and changing both arms together.

Can you pin-point the vibration?

Where did you get the wheels?

A colleague of mine had a problem with vibration and changed his tyres everything balanced up ok and vibration was gone. As the tyres began to wear he noticed the vibration coming back turned out it was the alloys. They where fine with good tyres but vibrated like hell when worn.

I would suggest getting the hub assembly checked aswell. I spent over a grand changing wheel bearing, brakes, tyres, tracking only to find it was the hub assembly.

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

On the E39 you set the rear wheels up first and then align the front to the rears.  Not the other way around.

Granted my E39 only needed a front adjustment as the rears were o.k. but I paid full whack.

Andrew

PS Dan, I've jacked in WYG and I'm now at Network Rail!

I was nearly a work buddy of yours so, co I left (cuthbert condron) was taken over about 12 months after I left. I regretted it for a long time.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic