Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede36 coupe cooling fan problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgun08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e36 coupe cooling fan problem
    Posted: 12-May-2009 at 23:15

Hi folks, hope somebody can give me some advice on this problem.

After several overheating problems last yr with my 98 316 e36 coupe I managed to finally get it resolved after replacing the rad, T/stat. waterpump and doing the head gasket.

Thats why I was shocked to see the temp needle once again start rising while stuck in traffic the other day. Its then I noticed that the cooling fan didnt seem to be cutting in. After a bit of fiddling with the brass fan switch and the connector from the loom of the car (this switch isnt present in the saloon rads) the fan cut in and the problem was solved.... or so I thought. 

After several days the same thing happened again, how ever the connection on the fan switch seemed secure. its only wen i pulled the connector a slight bit from the switch the fan seemed to come on. I then got the bright idea of trying to superglue the connector in this  position.

this didnt work, and as I tried to pry off the glued connector i managed to snap off the clasp part of the connector. So here i was after glueing and then breaking the connector, when to my amusement.. the fan started kicking in only for about 5 seconds at a time.  The fan now also starts kicking in when the engine is cold. All though the car is no longer over heating according to the gauge i still think the pipes are a lot hoter then normal as the fan only cuts in for a few seconds.

Ive tried to replace this brass switch and connector, however main dealer BMW have told me i cannot purchase the connector as its part of the loom. They have also told me the fan switch which threads in to the rad cannot be purchased with out buying a complete rad.

so there it is folks, thanks for taking the time to read this head wrecking problem.

Regards,

shotgun08

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic