Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReluctance to change gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reluctance to change gear
    Posted: 31-May-2009 at 19:31
Hello,

Right then, I know this isnt he most popular of forums, but my autobox on my 1998 735 is being a bit odd.

It occasionally doesnt want to change up above third gear, leaving me revving away above 3k at 70mph. I then need to select steptronic and change myself.

It's particularly bad after I've used kickdown.

Any ideas?
Beating around the bush.
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 22:18

I haven't, but two places for you to try :

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=43712&am p;am p;PN=1

ZF did tell me they would be happy to help, so let me know how you get on (the rig where they set up the "changegear" side of things is fantastic !

My mate had his 7 series box reconned here before we found ZF were willing to help, good job, no problems so far :

http://www.drivertransmissions.co.uk/index.html

Good luck, and please let me know how you get on with ZF if you chose that route.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2009 at 13:33

My E39 did this.

It would not change up into 4th due to one of the front wheel sensors being faulty.

The ECU uses signals from the front wheel sensors to tell the gearbox when to change up and down.

I take it you do not have a fault with either the ABS/ASC systems?

When was the last time you had your autobox serviced?  I would recommend taking the car to an Automatic Transmission Specliast for a service.  It could just be a bit low on fluid.

HTH

Andrew 

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2009 at 18:38
I doubt the gearbox has ever been serviced, and it's on 127k miles, so I imagine it would be a good idea.

I drove it to work and back today and it was fine, I just didnt drive it like a hooligan. I think it might not be the ideal car for that sort of hi-jinks. I have to realise it isnt going to behave like my Cooper S.

I'll get the gearbox serviced over the summer probably... or it'll pack up completely and I'll get it rebuilt. I've decided I like the car that much.

Oh no, no problems from ABS or traction control. Already sorted that earlier in the year.

I did just have a four wheel alignment and one new tyre due to hideous wear on a front drivers' side shoulder. (toe on both rear wheels meant that it was hunting to the left all the time)

It's a DSC equipped car. would that make any difference?

Edited by fozzymandeus
Beating around the bush.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic