Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE38 petrol tank leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E38 petrol tank leaking
    Posted: 13-June-2009 at 23:15

Hello guys.

My old mate, dodgy Rog of Bromsgrove, has yet more hassle with his R redg 735i.

As posted before, his petrol tank has been making odd "boing" noises for some time, its obviously gotten bored with doing that, and is now leaking "morrisons gold" all over his drive.

Apart from a main stealer, where do we get a tank from ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Jack735 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2009 at 13:18

The E38 is a bad one for tanks.

Second hand tanks are difficult to get; they're not easy to get out of the car and because of various laws scrappies tend to just put a whole in them to drain them and then crush with the rest of the car.

A patch might work.  I have a indy type mechanic (Edinburgh/Leith) and it costs about 50 or 60.

I had a patch done about 3 years ago on mine and its still good.

There are places around the country that will line the tank with something or other.  IIRC I was quoted 300 to remove the tank and have it put back and another 300 to have it taken away and lined. 

My local liner would have nothing to do with taking tanks out and then back in.

A new tank is around 900, again plus the 300 fitting.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Jack735
Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2009 at 21:05

I've had a quote back from Quarry motors using the parts gateway link I was given in another thread.

304.75 inc del & vat, for a 2nd hand tank.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2009 at 00:17

I've used this, twice, on two different motorcycle tanks, and have one good result, and one bad result.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8223&fr ostProductName=Car+Tank+Repair+Kit&catID=25&subCatID =&FrostCat=Tanks&FrostSubcat =

Best Wishes

Nigel

Pickles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2009 at 00:33
Cheers Nig for posting this one up, and thanks Jack for
your input. - it's been a busy day!

Needless to say I filled the tank yesterday ready for a
busy week ahead so there were 70 litres - each one
waiting to escape through a tiny pin hole in the bottom
of the tank.

With a little help I managed to get it drained out and
transferred to two other cars. (If only I had become an
MP - could have had it towed away and claimed it all back
on expenses!).

Looks like it may be repairable with a patch, but I think
I'll take some advice from a real mechanic before
proceeding.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers again guys.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2009 at 08:16

Rog

This looks good, although you'll need to see how much :

http://www.fuel-tank-renu.co.uk/pages/tanks.html

Best Wishes

Nigel

Pickles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2009 at 18:58

Thanks for the link Nig.

I got in touch with them today. They say they can't 'renu' a 7 series tank becos of an internal valve.

However they offered to repair it for around 140 + VAT + carriage. So BMW want 760 + VAT + 2 weeks from Germany eh? Then 300 plus to remove & fit.

I think Jack's patch is my best route.

Yet again we're in the wrong business!!  

scotfree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 10:50
Jack,

Any chance of letting me know the name of your mechanic in Edinburgh - I am up in Falkirk so could really help me, as my tank has just started leaking.

Cheers
Brendan

Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 13:31

Originally posted by scotfree scotfree wrote:

Jack,

Any chance of letting me know the name of your mechanic in Edinburgh - I am up in Falkirk so could really help me, as my tank has just started leaking.

Cheers
Brendan

Hi Brendan

Ive used this guy for about 5 years now and hes always been fair (I also use a guy from the pub for smaller things but thats another story), in fact Ive just felt compelled to write a review on some search thing where I checked the telephone number!

Anyway Craig from C&G Garage will sort you out, if you tell him Jack with the BMW 735 referred you hell smile politely!

47 West Bowling Green Street

Edinburgh

EH6 5NX

0131 554 9333

The garage is quite handy for getting buses into Edinburgh city centre.

KB & Co at the admins.  Honest this isnt my garage  or anything to do with me other than I take my car and get what I consider to be excellent service.  If you think its like a advert feel free to delete, as if anything I said would hold you back.

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 14:19

Jack, its fine, many thanks for helping a fellow member out.

Best Wishes

Nigel

PaulSB View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2009 at 19:31
bit late now but i had the same problem with my 730, 300 for the tank and 200 for fitting. haddent had any problems with the new tank apart from the sender unit that came with the tank is now acting up.

the usal,  fix one thing, break another

good luck with yours
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2009 at 21:09
Dunno if it would work with the petrol tank but I used 'Chemical Metal' on the sump of my old E30 after a pothole on Skye ripped a chunk of it.

Wonder if anyone else has tried it?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
scotfree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2009 at 20:25
Back to Jack,

Tried the mechanic to do the repair. Really nice guy, did the repair - charged me 50 - unfortunately the hole was too large in the tank - so it did not take.

I would recommend to anyone to give it a go - just in case it works.

I replaced the tank with second hand from FAB - got my local mechanic to wire scrape the welded joint - hammerrite all over, then wax seal over that and fit - 300. Cost of tank, with VAT and delivery - 300.

So 650 in all - but worth it to keep the old car going - got 110k miles on a "W" plate - hopefully may get another two years out of it, before it really starts to hurt with repair costs.

Thanks for the help - and as I said I would recommend to anyone to give it a try before doing tank replacement.

Cheers
Brendan
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2009 at 09:59

Hello

I had a leaking tank on my E3. Removed tank, cleaned off all the paint around many pin holes and used fiberglass kit from Halfords. Apart from time it cost about 8

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2009 at 23:32
Rog ended up with a new tank on his, a grand or so all in  
Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic