Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBattery going flat E23 735 1985

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery going flat E23 735 1985
    Posted: 03-July-2009 at 18:14

Hello again,

The old girl is playing up again. At 24 years old it should know better but the battery keeps going flat. I bought a new one and it lasted three days. Now my maximum charge is 12.9 volt nowhere near the correct 14,6 v. I drove it yesterday and today my battery is kaput. Checked the usual, boot light etc and getting a bit fed up. Considering new voltage regulator, alternator itself or a box of matches etc. Anyone have a sensible-ish solution as I still enjoy the old lady.

Edited by bigtelbmw
Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 00:10

Hi

First thing would be to use a multimeter & check the battery voltage whilst running the engine, this will tell you if it's being charged or not, & would the rule out the drain etc.

Not sure about your car, but usually an alternator fault is shown by the battery light illuminated on the instrument panel.

A new / reconditioned alternator is fairly easy to replace, I got mines from www.alternatormart.co.uk , found them on google & service was very good.

HTH

Edited by ally
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

neoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2009 at 19:36
i would have checked the alternator first especially as she isn't getting the full whack of voltage,  my alternator regulator gave in and a new 150 amp alternator was over 1100 euro, they told me it couldn't be reconditioned but a guy in galway who specilalises in alternators told me different so cntrary to BMW's claim i now have recond 150 amp alternator and constant 13.5v. my advice check alternator first, your old batteryt was probably fine and would hasve been ok with a recharge after the alternator was reconditioned

Edited by neoman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic