Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAir con/heater issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air con/heater issue
    Posted: 20-July-2009 at 17:11
Hi there (1st post),

I've had a bmw 316i 2002 for 9 months, I've had no
problems until today when i switched the air/con heater
on and nothing came out even though the display seemed to
be working fine, i used a meter to test the fuses (they
seemed fine) and then all of a sudden the display stopped
working.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything i can check
or do before i take it to a garage?

Thanks peeps.

Sponsored Links

oliver07 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliver07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2009 at 17:38
do you mean that no air came out or do you mean the air con isnt working if so a re-gas maybe needed.
hillzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2009 at 17:58
Thats a yes to both of those, neither the air con or the
heating are blowing any air when it was switched on, on top
of that the air con/heater display has died on me.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2009 at 21:54
Welcome to the forum.
I would think that it is the Final Stage Resistor at fault.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
deeko1973 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeko1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2009 at 16:15

Hi... I've also had this issue randomly recently. Only intermittently tho. Sometimes when i'm driving along the fan will suddenly stop blowing out any air even though the display still says it is... then about 5 or 10 minutes later it comes back on again... no explanation as to why it happens but it's quite annoying!

Had it checked out on the diagnostics due to a different throttle control problem and apparently I have duff software somewhere... so hoping that this is being caused by the duff software too... they did say that no other fault codes came up so doesn't appear to be a fan fault...

(mine's a 2000 330i).

Getting new software installed tomorrow so fingers crossed...

Apparently this fault is known in Canada (???) - was an issue with cars of a certain age - dunno why it hasn't been highlighted before tho...

E46 2000 330i Saloon
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2009 at 08:20
The fan speed going up & down is usually the final stage resistor, but if you're display has died, then it's the capacitor within the display unit, a very cheap part from Maplins, & if you're handy with soldering electronics then it's a DIY job, if not there's a chap on ebay who repairs these units. Do a search on ebay for "BMW climate repair"
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2009 at 08:24
Originally posted by deeko1973 deeko1973 wrote:

Hi... I've also had this issue randomly recently. Only intermittently tho. Sometimes when i'm driving along the fan will suddenly stop blowing out any air even though the display still says it is... then about 5 or 10 minutes later it comes back on again... no explanation as to why it happens but it's quite annoying!

Had it checked out on the diagnostics due to a different throttle control problem and apparently I have duff software somewhere... so hoping that this is being caused by the duff software too... they did say that no other fault codes came up so doesn't appear to be a fan fault...

(mine's a 2000 330i).

Getting new software installed tomorrow so fingers crossed...

Apparently this fault is known in Canada (???) - was an issue with cars of a certain age - dunno why it hasn't been highlighted before tho...

They may have detected software problems, but that's not your fan speed problem, it's almost certainly the FSU (Final stage unit) Item number 3 here, part number 64116929486

Edited by ally
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

hillzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2009 at 19:43
Thanks to all that replied, kbannon hit the nail on the
head, I had a fault with my final stage resistor which i
got replaced. As for my display, I made a school boy error,
I accidently pulled a fuse out while testing em and did not
notice my school boy error, pretty embarrassing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic