Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLacquer removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lacquer removal
    Posted: 04-August-2009 at 09:45

Hi Troops,

I want to remove the lacquer from my 18" M parallels as its going that "milky" way and either just polish the bare alloy or paint with silver paint. Either of these will be better than the way it looks at the mo.

I don't know what to use to get the lacquer off, I'm tempted to use a Nitromors type solution but am kind of scared to.....any suggestions ??

Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2009 at 11:15

Hi Cambell

I would use wet & dry, maybe starting off with 1200 & getting finer as you go until you leave a finish ready for polishing.

I'm having a go at one of my E36 wheels this week so will let you know how it goes

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2009 at 15:14

Nitromors will do the job. Don't try to do too big an area at once - keep to a smallish patch. Also, don't try & scrape too soon. Leave it to do it's work. It takes longer than you'd think.

1200 is quite fine for removing pitting. 800 or even 600 grit might be needed to get the worst out before moving up (down?) to 1200 grit. You can get 1500 or even finer but you may have to get it on the net.

Once you've got all the corrosion off you can get polishing. Haven't tried all the metal polishes out there but Brasso is quite fine & you can get it impregnated into wadding as Duraglit.

Good luck - I have a tatty set of M3 Sunflowers to do!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2009 at 12:12
I thought you had just had them re-furbed?  I'm recalling the piccies you had of the E39 on 4 axle stands.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2009 at 16:11

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I thought you had just had them re-furbed?  I'm recalling the piccies you had of the E39 on 4 axle stands.

Dont go there.........They were refurbed last June or July and the finish just hasn't lasted. I'm not too fussed to be honest, I quite fancy the polished alloy look as opposed to the diamond cut "bling bling" look anyway.

Its going to be a wee project for me over the next couple of months. I recon once I get the 1st one done (and make all the mistakes) the rest wont take too long, maybe take a weekend.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2009 at 18:34

So you are diy then?  Tyres on or off?

I need to get my rims re-furbed.  They had been re done at some point but it is flaking off and you can see the original surface which appears to have almost just been painted over!

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic