Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked735 E23 Non Starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 735 E23 Non Starter
    Posted: 28-September-2009 at 14:26

Hi my 1985 E23 failed to start. The previous day it ran faultlessly. With a fully charged battery, all lights on dash showing, there is nothing not even a click. She has a new battery but it will not turn over. Anyone out there with any ideas please?  Terry

Terry

Northumberland

1985 735 156K

Edited by bigtelbmw
Sponsored Links

Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2009 at 15:31

Hello Terry

Are the battery terminals and earth leeds tight?

have had same problem with other cars, turn the lights on and then try to start, if the lights go out or very dim, bad earth or faulty starter.

Nigel

bigtelbmw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2009 at 15:39

Hi

All leads tight, new starter less than 1000 miles and lights do not dim

Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2009 at 09:45

Hello

Must be the shock having new battery and starter!

Are there any relays in the startet circuit? It could be dud starter motor, May be best to get it tested by an auto electrician.

bigtelbmw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2009 at 11:46

Then I had better not wash it, that could finish her off.

The yanks often talk about a Master Relay but no one says where the B****R is. I have replaced all the obvious ones but there are lots hidden in the bowels of the dash.

Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2009 at 14:46

Hello

Have had a car which had problems with the actual ignition switch.

Give the car a hefty kick (makes you feel better) or tap the starter motor with a hammer. if all else fails I am afraid it's an auto electrician.

Are you a member of the AA, RAC etc home start?

bigtelbmw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2009 at 15:26

Hi

I have jumped the car from the inspection reset point, 11 - 14 but nothing. This misses out the switch. I have kicked her, hurt my foot, and sworn at her in Anglo saxon and German. Banged the starter motor and threatened her with incineration. All to no avail. I am with RAC but NOT homestart. To come out and change to Homestart will cost me £81. A lot of pension money.

Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2009 at 15:30

Hello

Go for a beer

bigtelbmw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2009 at 17:55

Had my beer and the car must go. Any interest?

T & T until about May

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2009 at 00:25
E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2009 at 09:28

Hello

The fusible link relates to E32, does E23 have the same systems? I hope not , more uneccessary complications to go wrong.

Nigel

bigtelbmw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2009 at 11:26

I do not believe that the E23 has fuzible links but I will have a look if it stop raining.

Thanks

Terry

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2009 at 06:10

I am not sure about the E23.

E32, E31, E28, E24  and E34 have them and that is often the problem.

Whatever the model is, if it has one, it is always very close to the battery, no matter if that is under rear seat or engine room, just follow the battery cable, often in shrink plastic.

Here from E34 just for reference

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Fusible+link

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

bigtelbmw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtelbmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2009 at 13:20

Hi

Good news from the front line. The ancient girl has started, pause for cheering, It was that most hidden of culprits, the earth to the block. Removed, cleaned and re-sited and the venerable 7 started first time. Pause for cheers and the passing of hankies.

Now I want to sell her as I have bought a 5 series. Any offers?

There is a mountain of new and used spares included. Pearl beige electric leather Tax until March  Test until May 154K

Edited by bigtelbmw
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic