Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne you might like to see.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One you might like to see.
    Posted: 12-October-2009 at 16:26

I know its not a beemer but its still an awesome car so thought id share with you, had a last minute cancellation so free day today which gives me time to do a write up of the latest detail completed last week.

This RS4 was recently purchased by a very good client of mine and was in need of some attention, so after the initial inspection it was agreed that a full correction detail would be carried out.

Heres the car when it arrived looking a little dirty and in need of a good :detailer:.

So first up the wheels, these were cleaned using various brushes and Bilberry diluted down 10:1, tyres cleaned with megs apc as were the arches.

The tar spots or rather lumps were attended to using Autosmart Tardis as always.

A thorough rinse to remove any tardis residue left the wheels looking good.

So now onto the wash stages, car rinsed a good few times to remove as much dirt/grime as possible and foamed a couple of times using BH autofoam mixed with some Hyper wash.

While the second set of foam dwelled i got to work on the trims, door shuts badges etc.

Then washed thoroughly using the TBM(Two Bucket Method) with grit guards in, a good qualitly sheepskin wash mitt(always a new one on a clients car) and some Zaino Z7 shampoo.

Rinsed at high pressure and moved inside for the claying stage as always in order to ensure no air bournes dust/grit particles blow onto car.

Spent a good few hours claying to ensure every last contaminent removed to my satisfaction.

Moved outside and rinsed/washed again to remove any remaining Last touch from the claying stage which ive found can cause some issues come the polishing if not re-washed.

Moved inside and dried with super absorbant towel pat dried of course and a small blower which really helps getting all the water from panels gaps trims etc and very reasonably priced.

Again spent plenty of time making sure the vehicle was dried fully no point rushing anything, once dried i taped up the car ready for the correction process and called it a day at around 7pm ish.

Bright and early the next moring i got to work capturing and removing the defects.

The boot panel,roof and bonnet were the worst areas so i started on the boot panel and after trialling some polish pad combo's i settled on 3M FCP with a touch of 3M UF to reduce dusting and improve workability on a 3M yellow polishing pad.

Boot before

And after 2 hits.

Some more correction shots.

Again boot before

And after

50/50

Fully corrected

Then moved onto the bonnet using the same combo which worked well.

Before

After one hit

And after two hits much better.

Some more bonnet correction shots.

Before

And after

Couple of sun gun shots for good measure.

Before

After

After correcting the bonnet,roof and top of boot i was pooped and it was getting pretty late so called it a day.

Next day i began on the doors which werent quite as bad as the boot,bonnet and roof so i played around again with polish/pads and settled on IP3.02 again on a 3M yellow polishing pad which had the desired effect so no point in using a more aggresive combo, i always use the least aggresive approach to acheive the desired results-common sense really.

Doors before

After

Doors before

50/50

Corrected

Some more correction pics from around the car.

Before

After

As always with correction work i spent ages with the duster and MF making sure all polishing dust was removed with my duster.

With that i thought enough pics and cracked on getting the correction work finished off, once that was completed i gave the vehicle an IPA wipedown to remove any oils etc and refined the finish with Megs 205 on a 3M finishing pad, this is no my go to finshing polish i just love the finish it gives.

Protection was in the form of two coats of Z2 followed by three applications of Z8 with Z6 wipedowns in between, wheels sealed with poorboys sealant and tyres dressed, all other tasks completed glass,trims, exhausts polished etc etc.

So after all that heres some final pics, hope you like.

Work time around 35 Hrs in total.

Thanks for looking.

Rgds Gav

Sponsored Links

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 11:22
Great work and a cracking motor also
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 21:22
Nice job. How much do you charge for a job like that?
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 21:30
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Nice job. How much do you charge for a job like that?
look at his website here all will come clear

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
gavb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2009 at 15:40

Alas the website is not correct due to me changing a few services, im just going to offer a fixed price of £595 for a correction detail and do away with my original stage 1,2,3 paint correction as tbh it seemed to cause confusion for people.

HTH

Gav

PS 10% off for all BMW CC members.

Edited by gavb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 09:09

£600!!

Jesus, i'm in the wrong job

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 16:25

£600!!

Are you? £17 per hour... (and that ignores the materials costs, insurance, premises etc.)
candypuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candypuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 20:40
Fantastic work.... just awesome - and as you say an awesome car too 

Cars
1996 BMW M3 Evolution
2001 C5 Corvette
1989 601 s Trabant
1956 Glas Goggomobil
gavb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 21:04

£600!!

Not really sure how to take that, but its not really that expensive when you consider the work involved, in this case around 35 HRS work over 4 days so as pointed out round figures of £20/hour-

Bare in mind also that this process is also the next step down from a respray which on a car like the RS4 would be thousands.

Gav

gavb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 21:04

Originally posted by candypuff candypuff wrote:

Fantastic work.... just awesome - and as you say an awesome car too 

Thanks for the comments mate much appreciated.

Gav

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 22:05
Good work Gav looking good.
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by gavb gavb wrote:

£600!!

Not really sure how to take that, but its not really that expensive when you consider the work involved, in this case around 35 HRS work over 4 days so as pointed out round figures of £20/hour-

Bare in mind also that this process is also the next step down from a respray which on a car like the RS4 would be thousands.

Gav

I missed the bit at the end where it said 35 hours!

That might go some way to explaining the cost.

In that case your selling your services cheap!

No offence intended

Edited by Peter Fenwick
gavb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 14:17

^^ I really based my pricing structure around £25-30/hour, but its very difficult to price a paint correction job by the hour so i offer fixed price of £595 whether it takes 20 hrs of 40 hrs, otherwise it can be confusing for customers.

No offence taken Peter. Found yourself a nice 328i yet?

Gav

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 16:06
No. I'm looking for a saloon really as the coupe is more expensive but in my eyes no better. Same for goes for the sport. It cost quite a bit more but offeres nothing extra that I really value except the sports suspension.
However there aren't many looked after 4 drs around so I may end up with a sport coupe anyway as they seem to be cherished more so finding a good one is a lot easier.

I did ring someone about a car yesterday and left a message but they are yet to get back to me.

Have you sold yours yet? I saw on E36coupe.com that you have a fair bit of interest. I'm on there are Devil2575 BTW.
gavb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 16:12

No still got it which is not a bad thing i had hoped the price would only really attract enthusiasts/genuine buyers but had a lot of time wasters, saying that i have 3 very keen people one coming from Belfast so im expecting it'll be gone soon.

Good luck with the search if i see anything ill shout you.

Gav

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 16:29

im just going to offer a fixed price of £595 for a correction detail and do away with my original stage 1,2,3 paint correction

PS 10% off for all BMW CC members.

Ahum - and members of this Forum?

Edited by thepits

But don't care.
gavb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 18:15

Oops yeh 10% as well for this forum, its a sticky in the scotland section as i doubt any english based members would bother travelling up lol

Gav

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 19:34

Oops yeh 10% as well for this forum, its a sticky in the scotland section as i doubt any english based members would bother travelling up lol Gav
oh i don't know so much, nigel made it , hang on i'll just go and find the passport  

But don't care.
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2009 at 20:17

Awesome! - I love these threads with loads of pics.  Not much of a reader me... sadly the car has too many doors for my liking.  Oh and it's wrong wheel drive.

Do you do the detailing for Checkpoint as well, they mentioned to me they have a guy come in sometimes when I was getting my exhaust done?

Good work!

Daz

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
gavb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2009 at 13:57

^^ Thanks Daz, im not an Audi fan but these are great cars.

No i dont do any work for checkpoint but i know who does.

PS If you need anymore work done on your car try Motorwerks on Forest Lane there highly recommended and would be my choice.

Gav

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic