Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTake one 1996 M3 .......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candypuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Take one 1996 M3 .......
    Posted: 13-October-2009 at 15:12

...firstly go find a car and buy it, then....buy a set of rims for it for much cheapness on ebay, fit a set of Toyo tyres (required by sponsors), and go racing!

Thats what we did last weekend!  Our Nissan Skyline (car in my sig pic) we run in Time Attack was in the middle of an engine rebuild which took rather longer than we had hoped - it spun a bearing at the previous round at Brands Hatch, mainly due to oil starvation (oil control problems are common in the RB engines), anyway with one thing and another we had 2 weeks to go and the engine was still in bits.  2 Black Lines took ill and it began to look like we wouldnt make the final round of Time Attack at Snetterton in Norfolk.  We eventually came to the decision not to run the car, deciding to wait and build the engine up properly for next year - got dry sump plans and more.

We found an M3 with 139000 miles in Liverpool that has had 11 owners, probably a lot of abuse, but still felt tight and also carried the private plate from registration for the first owner!.  It is an Evolution and has a 6 speed manual gearbox.  Picked car up from Liverpool on Friday, drove it to Glasgow on the trailer. Left for Norfolk on Saturday, car given once over, a new battery (existing one was flat)  and an oil change and new filter and we are ready to rock and roll

450 or so miles down the road car was taken off trailer - got our spare toyos (wet pattern but same compountd as the 888's) fitted to our very tatty m6 wheels that we painted white  and car ready to race!

Car did not disgrace itself - amongst stripped caged and far from standard cars, it managed to finish above a couple of Mazdas, a Sierra and some other stuff - the only thing we managed to reduce weight was the spare wheel, and the boot lining.  We ran with full leather interior and standard front seats and standard suspension which is fine for road use but some nice aftermarket anti roll bars would have done very nicely!!  Got to say here, the car also did well thanks to 2 Black Lines driving skills!  I know i'm biased but its true!

We were very impressed just how well the car did perform and how it ran with no problems in two sessions on the track - oil temp crept up a bit and so did water, but with a couple of slower laps these quickly came back down.

Plans now are to get the car tidied up - needs a bit of paintwork, get the wheels powder coated white (we sprayed them with white paint) and have a nice Club carand daily driver

Here are some pics from the day

Edited by candypuff

Cars
1996 BMW M3 Evolution
2001 C5 Corvette
1989 601 s Trabant
1956 Glas Goggomobil
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 20:21

WELL DONE

p.s. - you sure that was Snetterton? There's no rain or fog!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
candypuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candypuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 20:41
I know! last year the fog was really bad - we waited till after 11am then went out for a 'parade lap' behind the safety car - then the fog cleared.

On Sunday it threatened rain all day and 2bl hoped for rain as it would have given our car a bit of a chance in the class it was in against those running bigger power, however it didnt :-((.  We were laughing as it started to rain about 2 minutes after we left the track to head for home!

Cars
1996 BMW M3 Evolution
2001 C5 Corvette
1989 601 s Trabant
1956 Glas Goggomobil
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 20:47
Snetterton isn't the same without a bit of fog - especially at 2am in the midst of a 24hr race

But don't care.
candypuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candypuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 20:59
Wow! that sounds interesting !  I think I would deffo need some bravery pills for that!  

Cars
1996 BMW M3 Evolution
2001 C5 Corvette
1989 601 s Trabant
1956 Glas Goggomobil
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 21:07

Originally posted by candypuff candypuff wrote:

Wow! that sounds interesting !  I think I would deffo need some bravery pills for that!  
And the safety car driver needed a bottle as he was out there so long

(how quickly can you sprint to the loo!)

But don't care.
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 19:49
superb
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic