Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne for the boys in blue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One for the boys in blue?
    Posted: 15-October-2009 at 08:31

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was an offence to park a car with all four wheels on the pavement?

Just about got knocked over by an guy reversing his Audi A3 (I know, enough said really...) on to the pavement this morning when I was walking to work.

All because this guy and several others can't be bothered to park another couple of hundred metres down the road where there are spaces on the road.

I have to regularly squeeze between wing mirrors of cars parked on the pavement on my way to work.

Wonder what Strathclyde's finest would make of that?  Parking fine?  Trip to the compound on the back of a waggon and an even bigger bill to get their cars back?

...or am I just being a grumpy old man now that I am in my thirties...

...and relax......

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 09:30

Just get a big tool box and accidentally bump it along the side of the car. What is the owner going to do, after all it is illegal to park your car on the pavement.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 10:56

This is one that annoys me as well. 

I stay in quiet a high density area of Leith and while parking can be difficult its not normally impossible to get a space for those with the decency to take a bit of time to find one.  A lot of the corners around my way have been extended so its like double pavements either side of the junction.  Taxi drivers seem to think this is their reserved space for picking up and often folk just park willy nilly!!!

Most of these extended pavements have double yellow lines round them but it was only when the council put the enforcement signs, those that say if and when parking is allowed, up were any of the parkers booked those where there are no signs are still not booked.

So as far as I am aware it is not illegal to park on the pavement, unless there are signs no matter how many wheels you have, nor is it illegal to double park!

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 20:57

I'm not a serving Police officer.

The laws are different in Scotland, probably best to ask Gary.

In England & Wales :

As far as I'm aware, it has never been an offence to "park" on the pavement, it is however an offence to "obstruct" the pavement.

It is also an offence to drive on the pavement (you may cross if for access subject to other conditions etc etc blah blah)

Parking offences.

New labour (bless them) have allowed councils to apply to decrimanalise parking (and some other offences), once a council has done this, Police officers are no longer allowed to issue parking tickets, this is done by civvy enforcement officers.

The councils get to keep some (or all, I'm not sure) of the monies raised.

I hope that helps, and I share your annoyance at the offence.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 21:22

Cheers for the insight Nigel.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
caley64 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caley64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 08:09

Andrew,
Get yourself a pair of dark glasses, dog (optional) and a nice heavy white stick. Use the stick in an indiscriminate flapping motion as you pass cars parked on said pavement.
An old wheelchair with some sharp edges would probably do the trick as well.
Steve.

Misty Morning View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misty Morning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2009 at 20:20

The council in York have a parking hot-line for "illegally parked vehicles" the wardens usually take more than 1/2 an hour to appear in which time the car as moved or they just tell them to move it! The latter is the bowlers from the local park on our road, the reason why we got double yellow lines in the first place. Then they use their disabled badge to get away with it. Our road has a very bad blind spot and a car park not 5 yards from the park gate.

Sorry rant over this is a very sore subject and I could bore you all night , I must be getting old.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2009 at 21:05

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

...or am I just being a grumpy old man now that I am in my thirties...
You've got a long way to go yet sonny

Niggles is right - again - not an offence to park, only to obstruct, but.......

it is a real PITA.

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
jbh325i View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbh325i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 19:36
my biggest hate is t**ts that decide to block my drive... our street is bad for parking so i keep my car in the drive and the misses parks her car in front of the living room window.. now there's a big car park about 50 yards away from our house yet we still get t**ts blocking the drive and the car park is always empty!! the worst one is the boy that lives in the street behind hes parked over the drive on several occasions to which his response is " his car gets damaged out side his house " strange thing is hes never parked it there since i dragged it up the street with the old 4 door 325i .. thing that gets me is though why on earth do ppl leave there car blocking my drive and my neighbors drives instead of using the car park....

jamesbhall@retrobmw.co.uk
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2009 at 01:14
Originally posted by Misty Morning Misty Morning wrote:

Sorry rant over this is a very sore subject and I could bore you all night , I must be getting old.

Yep..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2009 at 10:56

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Originally posted by Misty Morning Misty Morning wrote:

Yep..

Whatever happened to "Brotherly Love" ??

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic