Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew PC required- any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New PC required- any advice?
    Posted: 22-October-2009 at 14:34

I know a few of you guys out there have a lot of knowledge where computors are concerned so I'd appreciate your comments and advice.

The time has come to replace my PC. Its a HP with a Pentium4 which I mainly use for email, internet, photo's and some bits of video. I have been thinking about the new iMac as recommended by my daughter and son in law in Australia who have both a Mac pc and laptop which they swear by and never seem to have any issues with. Only bug bear of course is the price of these things. The latest iMac starts at 949  Imac     but is it really worth the difference compared to a windows based PC. I'm lead to believe the operating system is much better, no slowing down or locking up and also runs quicker. What are your views folks. Anyone used both?

Any advice appreciated,   

Cheers  Steve.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2009 at 18:23
I thought about getting one before I got my Vaio.
Downside of the iMac is you are stuck with what you get - as its all in one if anything goes wrong the whole lot has to be sent off. Screens are very shiny was well. You can load Windows though on a dual boot so you can put all your old stuff on it.
I got myself a Sony Vaio FW11E, does what I want and is great for watching DVD's on due to the 16:9 X-black screen.
Depends if you want a desktop or a laptop.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 07:55
Yes it is a PC that I want. I have a laptop but want to replace my desktop. It tends to be the one that everybody uses from time to time.
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 07:59
Have a look at the dell outlet store also
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 08:41
Dell are good, my last laptop was a Dell and my sis has a Dell desktop but there are stories about their customer service being mrde..

I guess if it's a desktop you want then Apple do refurbed stock at lower prices. As far as customer service goes I've heard Apple is very good - they just send out a replacement straight away.

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 11:15

Dell all the way.

Not as good as an iMac i'm sure but then a Ford Mondeo isn't as as good as an S class. Doesn't mean i'm going top buy a S class though does it.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 13:38

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Dell all the way.

Hmmm, in my experience whilst I agree that the actual equipment is generally very good , their after-sales service is generally very bad  .

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 15:09
Not had any problems with them on my last two PCs.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 17:26

Thanks for the replies chaps.

My laptop is a Dell and I bought one for my daughter many years ago and to be fair both have been very good. I have been looking at the Dell desktops and some deals seem very good.

There are no imacs on the Apple refurbished website unfortunately.

I have also been looking at a couple of magazine reviews/comparison articles and sort of like this one  MESH  . Seems good for the money but  any pitfalls with this spec?

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic