Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuickest E30 318is.. how to do it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quickest E30 318is.. how to do it?
    Posted: 15-December-2003 at 16:45

hello...it is the stupid questions time again... I've resolved all my oil leak issues...  now the car is just sweet... but i need to ask a question(s)..

is it possible to make a 318iS quick enough to give a standard E30 325i run for its money..? maybe not beat it, but make the guy think...hahaha I'm not talking about Motorway speeds.. more like 0-60 times...  I've seen a couple of 325i boys(racers) with big alloys and sh*te... and u can tell they've never seen a 318is... and they go up ur ass just cause it says 318 at the back and try and take u... but at the mo there is no point me racing yet... i know if we did race, the 325 would eat me up... 

so whats my options? preferably no turbo's... or nitrous... all normally aspirated upgrade details please... if it is possible....

I've had to race some 320i boys.. again with their BIG 17's -18's allows and sh*te.. but they had to be beaten... have to say though a 320i with fat exhaust sounds just as mean as a 325....

I have a standard 318iS.. with 14in BBS.. all original... 115000 on clock... I have to say the car flys... but how fast would it fly next to a 325i???

Edited by beema318is
Sponsored Links

jonp View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 16:54

Ah speed is one thing. Economy is another. You can sit back and enjoy the 30+ mpg.

I'll get my flat cap and driving gloves...you can borrow them if ya like!

Autos are easy. Its the steering thats hard.
beema318is View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 16:59

that is true jonp... the car is bloody efficient... im still quiet surprised at that.... I'm getting some really good MPG...

jonp View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 17:13

Joking aside mate..

Have you thought about really going to town on the suspension and tyres?

Personally i'd have thought that the 318's handle really well anyway, but with the cash you could spend on the engine you could improve the handling. I've got a 528 and its blown away around the corners by a 320 i play with on the way to work. I can over take ( and then some) on the straights but around the corners it's on me tail.

Just an idea.

Good luck dude!!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 17:44
have a look at our own B318isP's website
www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell
This guy has done a number of mods to uprate the car (chip, panel filter, suspension, etc.)
(still slower than my e30 320i SE - but then again that was on an economy run )
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 09:30

Hi Beema,

The key is bridging the approx 35- 40 bhp gap that you have with the 325i. Equates to approx a sec on your 0-60 time (7.6 against 8.8) That is if these guys are standard.

If you're looking to blast the straight line sprint speed with a 325i then you would have a bit of a way to go. The engine basics would be a good place to start, free flow panel air filter/induction kit, free flow exhaust manifold and system and an ECU swap. Should be good for approx 15 - 20bhp. then you'll be getting close. You then can go for high lift cams but this will cost you cause you need the set (2). You could also play with the gearing, use a higher ratio diff, but this will rob you of top end speed and raise your fuel consumption for normal driving.

Then there's always lightening the car. Can make a big difference on BM's, lotta weight in the doors and bonnet especially. BMW, midway through the nineties, played with lightening the M3, ally bonnet and doors, etc. Took a sec off the 0-60 times.

It could cost you to try and beat them in straight line acceleration tho m8.

Best of luck 

Rob

Edited by Madrab
1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 10:23

Thanks for all the feedback... i know the 325 has about 35-40 bhp extra... but than it also weighs a bit more .. so its true if i lightened the car and do some mods on the engine it should be possible... I also read somewhere that the 4 pot E30 handle little easier/better than the 6 pots due to a lighter engine and better weight distrbution... so around twists and turns a 325(unmodified) should have quiet a challange against a 318is... do all 325's have m-tec suspension??  and sports seats etc.. ? o yeah and if someone has like 17/18's on a standard 325 that should drop there performance a little shouldnt it.. ?

personally i think the iS is perfectly balanced.. not talkin about performance but it is the best car ive ever driven...

Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 10:26

jon p... yeah ive thought bout the suspension and tyres... im goin to get them sorted out soon... i think i might have to change my shocks and springs anyway.. are squeeking a little on corners...

but yeah i want to sort the tyres out, but first i need to source some nice 15's BBS's... or Alpinas..

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 12:03

Well the 325i gives up 70kg to the 318is so that's a start and they do say that the 4pot e30 is more balanced than the heavier 6 pot lump though I wouldn't necessarily agree with that where the touring is concerned as the weight distribution is better than the saloon (being a tourer owner I would say that eh? hmmm)  and they do have the heavier duty Mish suspension set up.

With 17"/18" wheels, their car would be slower accelerating if they don't use the correct profile tire to keep the rolling diameter of the wheel the same as stock and it ended up larger. They may have better handling than standard though (in dry anyway) with their larger wheels and rubber.

Only the 325iS had the full M-tech setup, I believe, though your 318is should have the stiffer M-tech springs and shocks 2, minus the thicker roll bars.

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 12:24
The bigger wheels hurt acceleration because of the extra rotational inertia - but at higher speeds the effect is less.

The 318is has effectively the same suspension as the 325iSport but with the M3 front springs. It has the 20mm/14.5mm anti-roll bars too.

In a straight line, the 318is will never keep up with a 325i. Off the line the 318is may have a chance but the power to drag ratio is not in it's favour at higher speeds. You will corner slightly faster though.
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 13:08

Hi sir,

is that what you call a moderator?

Don't really want to try to split hairs but with regards to the extra rotational inertia for bigger wheels, I thought that would be reliant on total unsprung weight? If the new, larger wheel and tyre weight is the same as stock, due to newer, lighter wheel materials used, and the same rolling diameters, then would the unsprung weight's inertia not balance out? i.e. would require the same energy input to move? There are variables though?

jonp View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 13:10

What is the main competition for the 318? is it a renault 19 16valve? or such like? If so BMW's are much nicer inside and out.

If you are happy with your car, why change is performance? But if you are like me you will want it quicker. Cams move the power band, so if you want a really 'revvy' motor i'd look at cams. This is the way i'd go 'cos if you keep it in the smaller power band she'd fly.

I've got a mate with a mini, its only got 110 Bhp..fast as hell to 70mph! As soon as you get it off cam its poo.

Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 13:12

So really a 318is has a better suspension setup to a standard 325i?

Madrab I'm going to take your advice on some of the engine mods... ie.  free flow panel air filter/induction kit, free flow exhaust manifold and system and an ECU swap. And see how we go... Has anyone else already got a similar setup on a 318is?

And the tourer 325i probably is better balanced than a saloon.. for obvious reasons... but is it quicker than a saloon in a straight line?

Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 13:15
110bhp in a mini is crazy... just the power to weight distribution should tell you the car will fly... i had a mate with a mini who dropped a Metro 1.4 turbo into it... now that was mad... dont think many cars could beat that, but i wouldn't feel safe in it though... :)
jonp View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 13:42
Oh yes mini's with that sort of power are stupid! But are a giggle! You could get one as a second car..325? No problem!
Caesar Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 13:42

The best way to challenge 325i owners is to sell your 318iS, but keep the boot badge. Buy a 325i and stick the badge on the  boot of your new ride.

You could spend ££££s on your iS and still only get similar straight line performance to a 325i.

Edited by Caesar Bob
E30 318iS
Ist seitlich das neue nachschickt!
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 13:59

Yep beema it sure does.

From the info I gathered the 318is was modelled on the 325is chassis with the better tuned chassis and slightly different suspension set up but was all M-Tech qualified spec.

The quoted figures I've got for a stock 325i is 136mph whereas the Tourer is 133mph. Mine isn't standard though and have had some fun with same type of 325i owners that I think you are talking about. I've had the speedo just over the 140mph mark though but haven't managed to get an accurate 1/4 mile yet to confirm what the top speed is. 0-60 time is approx 7sec.

Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 14:11

CeaserBob... good solution... but you know what i would do than... get a 325i... but stick a 316 badge at the back... hahaha... but seriously though... it would be more of a satisfaction to have a 318is that has some serious power... but than not OTT... 325i is very nice...no denying that, but than the 318is has many advantages aswell...

JonP: The main competition for a 318is i would say is a Mk2 Gold Gti 16v.. btw is a Mk2 Golf heavier than a E30? They both seem to have similar engines... similar power output... etc..

Madrab... gettin 7 s for 0-60... do you really need anything quicker for a tourer... that car must be mad...

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 14:19
Madrab, unsprung weight has nothing to do with acceleration. For a wheel, it has to be accelered in two dimensions - straight (like the rest of the car) and rotationally (around its axle). The rotational interia is based on a radiused squared formula - so the further out the weight is on the wheel then the more inertia it has - the flywheel effect (even if the overall weight can be kept the same).

Unless you spend silly money, modern alloys are not a lot lighter than wheels from a few years ago - actually some designs are extraordinarily heavy.

Unsprung weight affects how quickly the wheel moves in relation to changes in the road surfaces.

Edited by b318isp
Tim325i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 14:32

0-60 in 7secs in a tourer?!!!

Dunno what you've done to yours bud, but mine wont. The first gear in it is useless. It feels like you hit the redline at about 15mph, great for pulling trailers or tanks or whatever but not much else. Then you have the notchy gear change into second that cant be rushed, followed by an extraodinary burst of acceleration. Not the best combination.

Drove an e30 323i a long time ago that seemed much better at the take off, anyone know what the gearing differences are? Maybe a different box would improve a 318is?

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic