Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > General E30
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1987 tech1 sport restro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbh325i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 tech1 sport restro
    Posted: 29-October-2009 at 01:03

I  purchased this late last year localy. ive been determined to have a tech1 Sport for years and have had a few which ive learned a lot from ( mainly where they rust ) ive used them as a learning curve and have built up a good supply of spares from them. when i went to see this one i checked the usal places for rust and it didint look to bad but was far from being perfect but truth be it it was the best of a bad lot that ive went to see and had. once i got it home I started stripping it but was put on hold over xmas and then had other comitments plus i got married so its not progressed as fast as i would have liked it to. being able to do the mechanical side of things helps but i cant weld and im not realy wanting to start learning on this so this has held me back aswell. heres the progress pics so far..

this is how it was when i got it home

in all honestly apart from the rear bumper being removed it didint look to bad. the wheels were horid though..
sat the rear bumper in place and put my own wheels on it to see how it would look

well here we are i got a spare 5 Min's at it and separated the abs loom from the main car loom and got a few pics of the rust..

in behind the fuse box its not the double skinned bit ..

passengers side front corner

drivers side at the rear of the battery tray.. I've got the sections cut out of another shell already

drivers side front corner..

jamesbhall@retrobmw.co.uk
Sponsored Links

jbh325i View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbh325i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 01:05

well the misses was out the bairns was at his aunties so i decided to go out and hit the rust with the grinder and wire brush attachment... not to bad if i say so my self..

glad it never spread up the way to where its double skinned..

will need to catch this from inside the arch as well as under the bonnet

passengers front corner never went as far as i thought it would..

drivers front corner didint look to bad intill i hit it with the grinder

the tool used for the job

in behind all the panels it doesnt look to bad. the front wings were gooners, so was the front valance.

jbh325i View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbh325i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 01:08

that's the progress so far on my car. been a bit slow this year due to getting married and stuff. I've got a boy coming on Friday depending on the time he finishes work to give me a price on welding. I've got 2 new rear arches, 2 genuine front wings and genuine front panel to go back on during the rebuild.

any suggestions or views will be welcomed

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 10:26
Good luck with the resto.

In all it doesn't look too bad, just the ususal area's........... seen worse.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
jbh325i View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbh325i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 10:32

Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Good luck with the resto.

In all it doesn't look too bad, just the ususal area's........... seen worse.

I know what your saying. the last 2 i had didn't have inner arches. my first one had rot in the roof and the A pillar

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 12:05
I remember my first E30 316, wish I had pics of it - makes yours look mint.
Rescued it from a flood and the bodywork was rotten completely and has since been scrapped.

2nd one was a facelift 320i and that had rotten wings (looked ok when I bought it but my finger went straight through when I scratched a little bit of bubbling - ended up with a hole on each side you could put your fist through.

Good pics btw, will look great when its finished.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
jbh325i View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbh325i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2009 at 23:27

well wee update.. i picked up a half stripped 525e today so after an hours work i had this lying in my mates workshop floor

2.7 eta block. so its new home will be in the bay of my sport running with a stadard 325i head and inlet with a chipped ecu to make it all run nicely.. . i know theres more ways to build a 2.7 m20 but im not wanting to start decking blocks extra..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic