Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEU speeding tickets ... oh goody

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EU speeding tickets ... oh goody
    Posted: 14-November-2009 at 14:41

The Irish will be delighted !

(this is copied from pistonheads)

Article here : http://thenewspaper.com/news/29/2960.asp

European Union Creates International Speeding Ticket

European countries connect vehicle records so that automated speeding tickets cross international borders.

Speeding tickets are beginning to cross international borders in Europe, thanks to the European car and driving license information system, or Eucaris. At the beginning of the year, Swiss motorists began being charged for speed camera tickets issued by French authorities. As of October, the French government had collected on a total of 10,000 citations from violations allegedly committed by vehicles registered in Switzerland. A total of 1800 tickets were issued last month alone.

Prior to Eucaris, most countries had no means of collecting on automated tickets issued to non-citizens because there was no automated system that could identify vehicle registrations in a foreign country. Beginning in 1994, a number of authorities upset by losing millions in potential revenue created the drive to standardize the sharing of electronic vehicle and driver's license records among the disparate database systems in twenty countries.

Progress in connecting these databases has been slow. Only last year did The Netherlands and Germany become the first to swap speed camera ticketing information. Cross-border tickets will also be issued in Belgium as part of a bilateral information exchange program.

Belgium, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands and the United Kingdom have all signed the Eucaris treaty with the rest of the European Union countries expected on board by August 2011. Once fully connected, officials hope to be able to issue fully international speeding tickets and introduce further uses, such as the collection of per-mile taxes.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2009 at 20:38
Gee thanks Niggles - as usual, ever the bearer of glad-tidings
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2009 at 23:44
Well how many of us is this really going to affect?

I think Nigel's just looking for something to get worked up about again
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2009 at 23:52

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Well how many of us is this really going to affect?

I think Nigel's just looking for something to get worked up about again

It will affect me !

and I just don't like the way drivers are being treated these days.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2009 at 01:14
To be fair though if you break a law in one country why should it not be recognised in every country?

Forget for a moment any objection to speed limits and think about any other situation.

If I went to France and got done from drink driving would you want me to be able to come back to the Uk and drive?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2009 at 05:41

To be fair though if you break a law in one country why should it not be recognised in every country?

Forget for a moment any objection to speed limits and think about any other situation.

If I went to France and got done from drink driving would you want me to be able to come back to the Uk and drive?

Possibly, you could fail the breath test there, and pass here with the same level !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2009 at 20:11
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Possibly, you could fail the breath test there, and pass here with the same level !

Not, if like me you don't drink at all if you are driving. Nowadays it just isn't worth it.

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic