Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Judder in rear of car when taking off in 1st gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJudder in rear of car when taking off in 1st gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacman23555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judder in rear of car when taking off in 1st gear
    Posted: 16-November-2009 at 14:44

Hi i've an e46 320D dec 1999 I've a Judder in rear of car when taking off in 1st gear. The back end sounds like it gonna come off its chassis if you dont stop and start aging giving it more revs.

Im thinking of getting the clutch done with a new clutch kit. I have a feeling its the clutch.

Any ideas what it might be?

Cheers

E 46 BMW 320D '00
Sponsored Links

pacman23555 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacman23555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2009 at 14:47

i've an e46 320D dec 1999

I've a Judder in rear of car when taking off in 1st gear. The back end sounds like it gonna come off its chassis if you dont stop and start aging giving it more revs.

would a new clutch kit solve problem maybe?

Any ideas of what it might be?

Thanks for any ideas

E 46 BMW 320D '00
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2009 at 15:27
Originally posted by pacman23555 pacman23555 wrote:

Hi i've an e46 320D dec 1999 I've a Judder in rear of car when taking off in 1st gear. The back end sounds like it gonna come off its chassis if you dont stop and start aging giving it more revs.

Im thinking of getting the clutch done with a new clutch kit. I have a feeling its the clutch.

Any ideas what it might be?

Cheers

HI there

could be the guibo disk (round rubber donut at the end of the gearbox) diff mounts the diff itself or rear axle bushes as well as your mentioned clutch. Also if the car accelerates passed 3500rpm in the top two gears then the clutch could well be ok. Needs to be looked at to make a proper diagnostic

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2009 at 10:52
Doesn't sound like a normal clutch issue. It may be a bushing, propshaft support bearing or guibo as Chris said. Get it checked out before spending any money.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacman23555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2009 at 11:54

I've read in a few places that the judder can be caused by the Flywheel. It would take alot of ripping to find out if it was the flywheel. Yes it would be wise to check out the bushing, propshaft support bearing or guibo first. what is the proper term for the guibo so I can look up the part, cheers.

The thing is it doesnt do it all the time its only occasionally and when the car is cold.

Thanks for the help lads

E 46 BMW 320D '00
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2009 at 13:12
If it is the flywheel, then you will get vibration when stationary, very often at very low revs, off idle. If it doesn't vibrate when you raise the revs slightly while stationary, it is unlikely to be the flywheel.

The guibo is also called a flex disc.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2009 at 14:06

I was getting a bit of judder on the 523i for a while and suspected the clutch although there were no other signs of clutch wear, such as slipping (although bite point was high).  John Roche suggested changing the fluid before doing anything else and that improved matters significantly.  That was somewhere around 130k.  Put on another 10k at least since and no other signs of clutch problems, although still get occassional mild judder, usually when cold.

OP seems to think that the judder is emanating from the rear.  Any particular reason for this? 

If so, then the suggestions from Beemerchris and b318isp make sense as a place to start.  If not, try a fluid change and see if it helps before changing the clutch.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacman23555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2009 at 16:57

Cheers lads,

Was talking to a guy today and he reckons it may be one of three things.

1 the exhaust 

2 cracked chassis but the chassis was fixed by BMW where it was cracked before(Apparently it was a fault with the early e46's) could be cracked again though.

3center bearing on the prop shaft.

Most likely it wasnt the fly wheel as the judder would be at the front also and you'd feel it in the clutch pedal.

Thanks for the help. it good to know the possibilities anyways.

E 46 BMW 320D '00
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2009 at 13:25

Does this happen when it's cold or only when it's hot? If hot, it's the clutch. They can't handle heat since they stopped using asbestos.

If the clutch has done over 75k then it's a good bet it needs replacing.

As suggested, the guibo can wear.

Propshaft centre bearing (if you model has one).

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacman23555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2009 at 14:15

It only seems to happen in the morning. its occasional not very often. Could be the bearing.

Anyone have a part number for this guibo or the proper term BMW gives it ive tried it on bmwfans.info and cant find it.

E 46 BMW 320D '00
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2009 at 15:57

The guibo could be part #2?

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2009 at 12:36
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

The guibo could be part #2?

You're spot on Roland that is the one. If it shows even the faintest of hairline cracks then it needs to be replced. You need new nuts as well as they are the ones that can only be used once

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacman23555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2010 at 10:31
Turns out the problem was a rusty caliper that was sticking
occasionally.thanks for all the suggestions.there's a knocking noise or
unusual vibration now when I accelerate hard in second and third
gear.any ideas on what that might be?
E 46 BMW 320D '00
seanmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2010 at 16:57
thats your prop centre support bearing for sure.

I've done mine, what a difference it makes.

It's in that link above, number 8
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacman23555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2010 at 17:10
Sound thanks sean,wat would ya be talkin about to get it fixed with
part and labour?
E 46 BMW 320D '00
seanmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2010 at 19:28

I get my parts from Germany and do the work myself.
I'll help with the ordering/pricing if you want.

But if you are doing this, buy the flexi disk/guibo too,
It has to come off to do the job so put back a new one.

Exhaust has to drop to do it, so I'd say maybe 1 hours labour ~ ish....
They could not really charge much extra, prop is only held at both ends with about 8-10 nuts and bolts in Total, only 2 bolts hold up the centre bearing.
Exhaust bolts can be hard to shift but only back and middle sections need to be dropped.

Buy the parts your self..............you'll save a fortune.
just get someone to install them.
PM me and i'll send you my number

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic