Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 hesitation - torque convertor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2010 at 17:46

Since my last post I carried out another throttle/transmission rest and ofcourse the car hasn't misbehaved since! 

BMW dealer advised that the software did need updating. 

Will report back after collecting car from dealer tomorrow.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2010 at 16:29

Hope all is sorted Andrew.

This is the kind of issue that really puts you off auto boxes.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 08:56

BMW confirmed that the autobox didn't need any software updates. 

They did manage to upload a few modules to the car, presumably for the DME. 

They didn't charge me for it as I suspect they had problems getting anything to uploaded to the car as they had it from 8am on Fri till 5pm yesterday (Mon).

Pulled like a train all the way home yesterday and the engine was a bit quieter and smoother after the engine oil change.

It only happened over two days once every 2 months but it hasn't happned since I did a throttle/tranmission reset recently.

I'm happy, it hasn't cost me anything to have investigated and I have peace of mind with it. 

And that's what counts.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 10:09

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Pulled like a train all the way home yesterday and the engine was a bit quieter and smoother after the engine oil change.

The adaptive settings were probably reset to default during the software loads.  If you noticed it then it probably means your driving style is a bit more relaxed and you should see it adapt to that again over the next couple of weeks.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 11:06

Well it always pulls like a train when you give it some right foot. No noticeable difference when giving it some beans.

I drive like Miss Daisy most of the time so I'm told on other forums if I can get 30mpg out of it....so I must be a fairly relaxed driver.

The engine was smoother and quieter on idle, definately.  Would that be related to better oil now it is veins?  Or a 'new' electronic brainwash?

Since I did the throttle/transmission reset it has driven differently, the shift points of the gearbox are at different rpms and road speeds. This might go to some way as to explain why I haven't felt the slight hessitation.  The gearbox is in a lower gear for longer so it's not shifting into lock up in 5th until over 40mph, the problem was under 40mph before when it was going for a higher gear to early.

Fuel consumption has not changed since I did the reset either so holding the lower gear for longer hasn't made any noticeable difference in juice drunk.

It hasn't addapted to my driving style or changed the shift points in the two weeks since I did the reset.  Will monitor it for longer and let you know.

It's great to have it back, four days without...not good....

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic