Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfair price for 96 E39 (engine gone)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fair price for 96 E39 (engine gone)
    Posted: 14-December-2009 at 23:53
Hi ladies and gentlemen.

Unfortunately my E39 engine died...

Repair will be too expensive- cheaper is to change engine. but... there are some E39-s on the market only 1500 - 2000 EUR.

Whats the best place to sell it?
As repairable?
For parts? (I don't have garage to keep her- so better sell it in one piece?!)
Scrapyard?

What can be reasonable price to ask?
1996, E39, 523i, petrol, manual, all electric, silver, fabric seats, sunroof, 5 alloys. only problem is engine - all around in good condition.

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 00:29

Unfortunately, in the current market, with a good engine, reasonable history and an NCT, etc. a car like this realistically won't top €1500.  Without an engine I'd guess €700-€800.

Sorry!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
trouble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 02:24
dont be sorry :)
its realism.

nothing personal.
Just thinking how much profit scrapyard makes with parts and then I think 700- 800 is not fair.

wheels only 200?
windows couple of hundreds
lights...
all panels...
with 800 they make huge profit...
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 09:21
What kind of wheels?
Would you consider stripping it and if so what spec is it?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
trouble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 14:23
Thanks for your time!

12/1996 E39 523i Sedan M52 Europe Right hand drive Manual 150 000 miles
Production Code: DD32
Gearbox OK, exhaust OK, air filter need to be changed, but intake system is OK, diff OK, suspension OK, powersteering OK. Clutch changed 5000 miles ago. Electric sunroof, electric mirrors, 4X electric doors.
Manual basic seats. No cruise control, no AC, no computer, no phone. 150 000 miles total. NO RUST. All bodypanels are OK.
probably break pads are not good any more.
all windows and lights OK, angle-eyes, upgraded rear lights(E39 facelift lights), foglights.

5 light alloy rims- only some minor scratches on some rim
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DD32&mospid=47 539&btnr=36_0318&hg=36&fg=15

only problem to stripping it - I do not have garage to keep the unsold parts.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 16:28

Originally posted by trouble trouble wrote:

dont be sorry :)
Just thinking how much profit scrapyard makes with parts and then I think 700- 800 is not fair.

wheels only 200?
windows couple of hundreds
lights...
all panels...
with 800 they make huge profit...

If scrap yards were that profitable then everyone would be doing it. Don't forget that a scrap yard has overheads to consider and so if they give you 800 for your car then they probabaly need to be getting at least 2 - 3 times that back in parts to make it worth their while. After all it's not like the parts remove themselves...

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
trouble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 17:02
my driver side window cost 60 from scrapyard.
almost same price as from autoglass.ie
they offered it for 90.-

removing parts? with 2 man yoou need only 1 day to dismantle car. Been there - done that.

some parts are cheap in scrapyard, but when they hear you have BMW- the prices will skyrocket :(
at least it was my experience
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 18:06

I break that vintage of BMW and ill tell you straight up there isnt 800quid worth of parts in it the way it is let alone is it worth that sort of money to a yard.

The engine is the valuable part of an E39 - at that its 600euro tops.

Next would be leather - 4-500. After that its all 20-50euro parts and you have to sell a lot of them to make 2-2.5k. Which is what a yard would need to make to pay you 800 for it.

your best bet is try and sell it to someone who will put an engine in it and keep it themselves, in which case they need to buy it cheap enough to pay 5-600euro for an engine plus labour and not step over the 1500 they would pay for one that already works.

I bought a 97 523i SE from a member on here for 650euro with 18 months NCT 6 months ago and it served me well as a stop gap before i got the M5.

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
trouble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 18:18
thnx Ben
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 19:10
Wouldnt it be mighty fine if you could avail of the scrappage scheme. Could this be an option for you? Lets hope that the current Hyundai advertisement which states - if you havent bought a Hyundai, what were you thinking - doesent persuade all of us that drive e30s into driving i30s. A lot of people in the know believe that this scrappage scheme will not benefit the European manufacturers. Then again its up to each and every one of us to decide where to spend our hard earned money, if we have any to spend. I recon it will be hard to find a potential purchaser at any price for your car. It will be even harder to locate an engine worth fitting. Try both options first, assuming that you have the time to wait and then you can let it go to the scrapyard comfortable in the knowledge that you tried all other options. Wish you luck.        
Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
trouble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2009 at 19:44
scrappage allowance
The car being scrapped:

* Must have been registered in the State in the name of the purchaser of the new car for at least 18 months previous to the date of scrappage

* Must be 10 years old or more from the date of first registration

* Must be scrapped after 9 December 2009

* Must be scrapped within 60 days of the date of the new car being registered, or have been scrapped within the previous 60 days of the date of the new car being registered, provided the date of scrappage is after 9 December 2009

* Must have a valid NCT certificate of roadworthiness, or one that has expired no more than 90 days prior to issue of the Certificate of Destruction; or documentation to indicate that it has been presented for and failed an NCT roadworthiness test in the previous 6 months

* Must have been insured for use on the road for at least 12 months in the 18 months prior to the issue of the Certificate of Destruction.
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2009 at 09:47

Galway Renault will offer up to €7,500 off a new Megane Diesel and they say they will scrap anything of any age including flood damaged vehicles.

That's the only reason I'd buy new, let alone a new Renault.

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2009 at 12:53
Id be thinking though even if you were to walk into Galway Renault with cash and without a trade in you would get near enough that 7.5k off the price of a Megane Diesel anyway...
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
trouble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2009 at 18:34
Renault?!?!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I rather put E36 on crash diet and strip all not speed related crap out, but NO - I repeat- NO RENAULT!
:)

Edited by trouble
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2009 at 18:52

Originally posted by Ben O Brien Ben O Brien wrote:

Id be thinking though even if you were to walk into Galway Renault with cash and without a trade in you would get near enough that 7.5k off the price of a Megane Diesel anyway...
....because they are only worth 7.5k less than the list price, that's why!

Same as Citreons, they give you thousands off the list price as basically they are not woth the list price.

Certainly not 2 mins after you drive it out of the showroom.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2009 at 06:16

Originally posted by Ben O Brien Ben O Brien wrote:

+1 a few months ago Kellys in Kilcock were giving me 5k off a new Focus TDCI Zetec with no trade in. I'd agree with Ben that the car is worth very little in current times. The engine is the most important part of an e39 of your era, either part it out or commit yourself to a new engine transplant and get the use out of it. Complete you're looking at 4 to 500 euro as a sell on, that is if you can get a taker.

Personally if you like the car do an engine transplant and get the use out of it. It might be a old BMW but with a good pony and servicing there's nothing stopping you getting another 80 to 100k out of her. Try Summerhill spares for a pony, they had a few off the shelf last time I was up there.

'90 e34 520i, '83 e28 525i, '81 e28 520i, '79 e24 635i, '75 2002tii, '73 2002 touring, '71 2002, '70 2000tilux,
trouble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2009 at 03:06
thanks guys...
many good ideas!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic