FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW 520d..... 2009 to buy or not to buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW 520d..... 2009 to buy or not to buy
    Posted: 01-January-2010 at 02:47

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Are you referring to the turbo? That was resolved around
2003 or so IIRC.

No, I was referring to some power limiting flaps in the inlet manifold that break off, enter the combustion chamber, and write the engine off.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2009 at 15:48

Sulphur content will be identical in both white and green diesel where the importer is taking delivery from one boat. An example here in Limerick would be where the Shell boat unloads at the docks in Limerick and Topaz and Tara oil to name 2 companies, draw from the depot. The green diesel is marked on site at the depot. A customs official is obliged to be present to view the die being added. Not a nice job for a lady on a miserable day standing on top of a fuel storage tank witnessing the addition of the die. Some smaller private importers of fuel here in Ireland are availing of the oppertunity to supply high sulphur green diesel that complies with the leglisation allowing high sulphur diesel to be sold as green or red diesel. These importers are complying with the leglisation and it is up to the end user to decide whether or not to save a couple of cents per liter or stick with the bigger fuel distributors. I would urge plant and agricultural contractors that run modern common rail high pressure fuel injection diesels to steer clear of smaller importers to avoid the use of high sulphur fuels.

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2009 at 10:52
Mike, you sound like you know what you're indeed talking about but my understanding is that green diesel is identical to white diesel when imported and then the dye is added at the point of importation ie.sulphur content will be indentical in both....
E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2009 at 00:12

I believe that the reduction of sulphur content in white diesel within the EU in 2006 is causing difficulties for high pressure fuel injection systems. Sulphur content is now a tiny fraction of what it was. Sulphur is a lubricant and as fuel injection pressures have risen considerably, injector needle to nozzle clearances have reduced and the reduction of sulphur can contribute to needles sticking in the closed position. This results in the head of the injector nozzle blowing off. Engines running on rebated diesel whether red diesel or green diesel since 2006 have little or no problems with their high pressure fuel injection systems. The sulphur content in rebated diesel since 2006 is at least 20 times greater than in white diesel. However premature failure of engine valves and turbochargers and ring wear are been reported by agricultural engine manufacturers. Variable geomtery turbochargers are failing due to acidic attack from excessive sulphur. Owners of plant that run on rebated diesel are advised to change engine oil more frequently. Oil companies remove the sulphur from white diesel to comply with EU leglisation which is causing fuel injection problems for high pressure fuel injection systems. The oil companies then add this removed sulphur to red and green diesel to dispose of it, causing engine component wear to high performance multi valve diesel engines in plant and agricultural machines. So the overall reduction in sulphur emissions from diesel engines has not being reduced by a whole lot within the EU. So much for the attempt to reduce acid rain. However the reduction of sulphur in white diesel and the increase of sulphur in red or green diesel is creating expensive repair bills for us all.

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 15:42

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Have BMW cured the self destructing 2.0 litre diesel engine yet ?
And the 3.0 litre too!

As K says they have sorted it....but I still wouldn't have one just incase the engine decides it would rather run on its own sump oil instead of diesel or indeed takes a fancy at ingesting bits of broken off turbo vane....

Would you drive a diesel BM Nigel?

I just think that if you must go for an oil burner then there are better cars out there for a lot less than that kinda cash, like a Mondeo.  If you are after economy buy the Ford, the 520d is all about buying the badge for the least amount of beans as possible.  The Ford will come with all the toys the base E60 model doesn't.  Plus being a 2.0 litre I am imagining that it will meet with the horrendous unfair tax laws.

Heard on the trade grapevine that Merc are having terrible problems with their diesels.  The injectors are breaking up and bits of injectors are going into the cylinders and as a result Merc are replacing a rather high number of diesel engines in new (18 months old etc) cars.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
cheffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 10:40
thanks for all the advice to date..... its much appreciated

I was looking at the link here

BMW Discounts

which suggests you should be able to negotiate up to 10% discount on new prices, does this still hold true as this link is a bit old and the BMW prices in partiocular have come down a bit since then. I am limited to Max 2lt and must be auto and thanks to Mike re the warning on depreciation unfortunately due to having to pay high road tax and new tyres on exisiting car may not be able to wait. Any other advice appreciated If true re the discounts on new cars how much should you be able to negotiate on a used car such as a 09 model mentioned at the start.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 00:03
Are you referring to the turbo? That was resolved around
2003 or so IIRC.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 22:54
Have BMW cured the self destructing 2.0 litre diesel engine yet ?
Best Wishes

Nigel

Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 21:31
Dealers in Ireland have stopped taking orders for the E60 520d before Christmas. Once the new model 5 series called the F10 (looks like they ran out of e numbers) arrives on our shores in 2010, I recon that it will be easy to talk to sales persons in franchised dealerships here, assuming that you want an E60 520d.  This would suggest waiting well into the new year assuming that you are considering a straight sale. let those that want to be seen in the F10 series part with their cash first. Once a dealerships forecourt has a couple of 520d models sitting pretty after being traded in, then you can pounce. A lot of non franchised dealers and private sellers seem to have a good number of the 520d models for sale in Ireland as well. Just about every Tom, Dick and Harry has one of them for sale. The extra competition for sales in the new year will see prices of this model drop considerably especially for a straight sale. I recon that forecourts of franchised dealers will have to be cleaned out to make way for trade ins as the new model comes on stream. Have patience and wait to get a top spec model, as buying one right now will incurr savage depreciation.   
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 11:17
The tax (Co2 based) on an 520d is next to nothing compared
to say a 520i!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 10:20
Well seeing as it lists at €46,947 new and it will be year old in a couple of days time, then I'd be expecting a much bigger discount - especially if you're a cash buyer....
E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 18:00

Welcome to the forum.

The subject of buying an E60 520d has been discussed before here.

If it were me, I wouldn't touch a 520d with a barge pole.

BUT as you are in Ireland there is the heafty and rather unfair road tax system which makes gawd awful cars like the 520d attractive.

Personally I would buy a much cheaper bigger engined E60 and spend the difference on the road tax hike.

Make sure the 520d has the uprated air con controls as the basic one is like and I quote Mr Clarkson "it's like having an asthmatic cough through a straw" and as many optional extra toys as possible for re-sale value. Although in Ireland the fact that it has the low tax braket will always make it attractive to someone.  Leather, auto, etc always help re-sale.  MSports too is always a bonus.  Avoid anything that has cloth, manual and is base spec if you are after good re-sale.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
cheffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2009 at 13:27
Hi all
was wondering does anyone have any views on value on late 09 reg 520d SE Business edition, automatic, full leather, bluetooth etc low mileage approx 5K etc for about €40K. Straight deal from dealer on demo car, this is as low as he will go. Is this a good deal cant really wait for the new model to come out as probably wont be in IRL till mid late 2010 and i need to change fairly soon. Have driven the 520 and seems a nice car all round and I must have an auto. what will the resale be like in 2 years with the new model out. Cannot seem to find many in the Uk online and the prices seem much the same so not much point in going to uk for same i think
Any help/advice appreciated
Thanks
Cheffy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic